C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Why pay $1200+ on something you can get for $325???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Paprika C230K/C7/C4/C2/6spd/Chip(?)
Why pay $1200+ on something you can get for $325???

Hey folks, I'm just looking for your opinions and insight on the subject of performance upgrades (chips and pulleys). Now, most of the tuners that are out there are selling kits with pulleys and chips, and some with just chips, from $1200 on up. There is one chip tuner (Upsolute) that is claiming comparable gains on a 2002 C230K with just a chip, for only $325. Now, why would you spend more for something you could get cheaper? If you can get the same performance through software alone, why spend all the extra $$$ for pulleys, etc.? I'm not defending one over the other, I just want some other opinons and ideas on this. Glad to hear your thoughts ...

Ed
Old 01-22-2002, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am seriously thinking of getting the Kleemann pulley kit *and* the Upsolute chip. It won't be soon. My financial situation won't allow that.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:14 AM
gab

pulley upgrade is proven to give power.

Upsolute is the only tuner that have a chip that gives 30hp+ while another famous chip tuner GIAC only gives about 15hp. I have yet to see Mark's dyno to believe plot somehow he is very reluctant to provide dyno plots
Old 01-23-2002, 12:49 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by Lynn
I am seriously thinking of getting the Kleemann pulley kit *and* the Upsolute chip. It won't be soon. My financial situation won't allow that.
Lynn I'm with you I'm going to do both ( software and pully) Super Sprint will have a set of headers out soon too.
I think the combo should pull 47-50 hp total, maybe more but I will be happy with that.

Randy
Old 01-23-2002, 12:55 AM

KLEEMANN C230K
The reason I chose to go w/ the pulley over the chip is because the stock cpu is a self correcting processor. What I mean is if you flatline the cpu it will AUTOMATICALLY find all the correct parameters for fuel, air, spark, and boost.....etc.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!! Pulley, no pulley...etc.

Pretty damn smart little chip.

I personally like to leave it alone.

...............but .............................

............................ if they can prove the numbers (and can change it back at will) I may do a chip also. I LOVE SPEED!!!!
Old 01-23-2002, 01:20 AM

But according to Upsolute, what they do is reprogram the stock ecu chip with their program. If that is done, then I'm assuming that the stock program is no longer present on the chip, unless they only tweak certain functions of the code. In which case, if there is a "default" mode for a flatline situation, then the ecu might just reprogram itself to factory settings .

In any event, there is the Upsolute tuning event this Saturday in Bayville, NJ, which I am planning on attending. When I go, I'll ask John (Achille), the Upsolute rep running the show, what the deal is. Hopefully I'll get some good answers, and the Upsolute chip will be the first (cheapest?) step to getting more power.

Ed
Old 01-23-2002, 11:16 PM

UPDATE: Here's a message that John Achille sent me regarding a "default" ecu program and the possibility that flatlining the ecu would return the code to stock:

A "default" program does not exist. The file on the chip determines the parameters. If it is chipped it is always chipped. No flatlining and returning to stock. We replace the stock file with our file. Come on down and see how it gets done, the more the merrier, see the post with directions and info, I would include it here, but I am new to mbworld and am still exploring getting around and such.
So things look good from where I stand. Basically, the Saturday get together is to get as many different ecu codes as possible, then send the programs to Austria for tweaking, and then they will be able to install the new code when they are sent back from Austria. I think I'm definitely in on this one .

Ed
Old 01-24-2002, 12:19 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by NJPaprika230
UPDATE: Here's a message that John Achille sent me regarding a "default" ecu program and the possibility that flatlining the ecu would return the code to stock:

So things look good from where I stand. Basically, the Saturday get together is to get as many different ecu codes as possible, then send the programs to Austria for tweaking, and then they will be able to install the new code when they are sent back from Austria. I think I'm definitely in on this one .

Ed
So what they are saying is that they can flash the chip with out physicaly opening the ECU and replaceing the chip on the board. Thats cool !! Will the new software account for other mods on the car like pully kits and Exhaust?

Randy
Old 01-24-2002, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by renncpe

So what they are saying is that they can flash the chip with out physicaly opening the ECU and replaceing the chip on the board. Thats cool !! Will the new software account for other mods on the car like pully kits and Exhaust?

Randy
Yes they can account for other mods. And if you make a mod after getting the chip, they will upgrade the chip for the new mod for free.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:12 AM

Young, this is part of an email I got from John Achille regarding the events to take place at the gathering this Saturday:

Glad you can make it, the main purpose of this event is for UPsolute to gather as many US spec ecu codings to add to our files and upgrade these files, what will happen is everyone that shows up will have there stock information downloaded and then emailed to Austria. Then the file will be upgraded and installed on the respective car at a later date, TBD. This is a great opportunity for the MB world and UPsolute to gather the majority of files out there.
Ed
Old 01-24-2002, 09:56 AM

Audi A4 1.8T
removal of the ecu is necessary to download the stock file, I do have some chipped files, but for stealth reasons, I would rather modify the exact file found on the individual ecu, if it is a ecu we have seen before, by all means we can upgrade you on the spot, I just don't want to promise having all the files, and then you find out we have to wait to get the upgraded file back. By downloading the stock files now, we are taking the next step in producing the chipped files. Whos in?
Old 01-24-2002, 10:02 AM

Audi A4 1.8T
Lynn,

Yes, if UPsolute makes a upgrade to the file, i.e. a new release will will install it for free.

If you make a upgrade to your car, it costs to have a file changed, that would be a specific file designed for your setup, hypothetically speaking, we would have to make 100 different files. I am sorry but we cannot do that for free. It is a nominal charge a lot less than a new chip for a specific file as it will require additional testing for every setup it not known.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for clearing that up, John. Would the fee for the new file be $325? I seems to me that it would be best to make the other modes before bveing chipped.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:42 AM

Audi A4 1.8T
usually its $100, as for waiting, I would say no, customizing the chip is not going to produce a huge difference, basic changes like an exhaust or intake compliment themself and really do not need a reprogram for street cars, if we were tuning race cars using race fuel then maybe, I think improving driving skill has more effect than customizing a chip. Just my .02
Old 01-24-2002, 05:34 PM

Well, count me in! I'll be there on Saturday, hope to meet some of you there.

Ed