C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

oil in throttle body

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230k s, 06 gmc sierra
oil in throttle body

hi, im new to mbworld, this is a great fourm, for a first time mb owner. i been reading, and doing a lot of pre. maintiance on a 05 c230 kompressor with 55,000 miles.

i was cleaning the throttle body and there was wet oil inside of it. my question is.

should i be conceren, or is it normal? reason for me to clean the throttle body was to see if it would cure the cold start problem.

i had the car for bought month now, and onlie put bout 1,000 miles on it. i dont drive it every day and when i do drive it, i drive it pretty hard. between the leaking vacuum pump which i had already fix, and the oil inside the throttle body. the cumputer hasn't told me to add oil yet.

any answer, or ideas, to this i would appreciated it.

thanks
dinky

Last edited by dinky228; 05-21-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I know that the throttle body gets dirty and sticky in time, but I wasn't aware that motor oil would be in it? I'm interested to know this as well.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Normal. Poor design closed circuit crankcase breather system oil catcher. You can fit an external tank like C230 Sports Coup has but not absolutely necessary. See his thread in this regard.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C
I agree ,bad design and a lot of blow by. The bad thing the oil is coming from valve cover to intake tube, through super charger , through pipes , through inter-cooler to t/body.. Just imagine how much oil is left in intercooler. Best thing to do is ad a catch can. I will post some pics later to help this out. but even with this i still got some oil reaching t/b.. So I added a second mod , in test right now to further help it out. I even switched to MB new engine oil 5w/40 not the 0w/40 .. to help out the blow by. The catch can will help blow by and also help the intake contamination for better burning.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Poor design closed circuit crankcase breather system oil catcher.

Can I have this in English? I'm trying to learn and this appears cryptic
Old 05-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Engine oil gets turned into oil vapors which are bad for the environment, but can be burned safely by the engine. Hoses direct the oil vapors from the crank case into the intake system where they usually get sent through the intake of the engine and consumed, but the vapors also get attached to everything w/in the intake track. Result == oil everywhere. Should be okay, but it definitely eats away a bit at your "efficiency." The common solution to this is installing a catch can to catch the oil vapors that would condense and remove the condensed (liquid) oils from entering the intake track.

I think.

I believe this whole system is often refered to as the "Crankcase Ventilation System" (CVS) Google it! I think its also sometimes called PCVS (Positive CVS).

Last edited by TruTaing; 05-22-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. Makes sense.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
when we removed my old broken throttle body, we found quite a bit of oil in the "back" of the flap.

what is your cold start issue? perhaps it's the same as mine:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...old-cel-7.html
Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 PM

C
tks TRU
Originally Posted by TruTaing
Engine oil gets turned into oil vapors which are bad for the environment, but can be burned safely by the engine. Hoses direct the oil vapors from the crank case into the intake system where they usually get sent through the intake of the engine and consumed, but the vapors also get attached to everything w/in the intake track. Result == oil everywhere. Should be okay, but it definitely eats away a bit at your "efficiency." The common solution to this is installing a catch can to catch the oil vapors that would condense and remove the condensed (liquid) oils from entering the intake track.

I think.

I believe this whole system is often refered to as the "Crankcase Ventilation System" (CVS) Google it! I think its also sometimes called PCVS (Positive CVS).
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by nlpamg
when we removed my old broken throttle body, we found quite a bit of oil in the "back" of the flap.

what is your cold start issue? perhaps it's the same as mine:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...old-cel-7.html
like inthe morning, or when i go start the car after its been sitting over night. the car would turn over, at the same time like its starving on gas, and little shaking. only for like 5 seconds. after that its all fine for the rest of the day till the next moring. i just installed a new fuel filter, and havent tried it yet to see if that would help. but i ask one of the service guys at my local mb he said it was just a sticking throttle body problem. so if that was the case, with the oil vapors inthe throttle body then it would have a rough start every time, thats what im guessing till i fix the oil vapor problem. on the good side my throttle response is more responsive after the clean.

i rechecked the throttle body after the fuel filter change and to no suprise there was a puddle of oil. same as the first time when i did the intial clean. other than that the car runs good and strong with no problems yet so far.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:04 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by TruTaing

I think.

I don't find mine having much sticking to TB and intake tube like a lot of others with the 32 btw. i'm curious to why that is.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
@Frank, Have you had any issues w/ oil coming out of the small valve covers on top of the larger valve covers? I'm thinking that maybe those of us with this issue have CVS hoses that are clogged (or something which causes the pressure to build up) and the seals on the small valve covers break easier and any oil vapors that DO make it into the intake track will exit the hoses at a greater velocity and thus have a greater likelihood of making it onto the throttle body/intake mani... I could be crazy though?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
my .02....

I don't have oil on the TB or in the intake, even after 160K miles. I rarely open the throttle fully from low RPMs (maximum manifold depression) and never when the motor is cold. I think the 4 cylinder motors are more susceptible to increased crankcase pressure because of the super charger......and, they are driven harder to keep up. That's also why most of the contaminated MAFs are on the 4 cylinders.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Any one have pic of the catch can and where it is mounted
Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by dinky228
like inthe morning, or when i go start the car after its been sitting over night. the car would turn over, at the same time like its starving on gas, and little shaking. only for like 5 seconds. after that its all fine for the rest of the day till the next moring. i just installed a new fuel filter, and havent tried it yet to see if that would help. but i ask one of the service guys at my local mb he said it was just a sticking throttle body problem. so if that was the case, with the oil vapors inthe throttle body then it would have a rough start every time, thats what im guessing till i fix the oil vapor problem. on the good side my throttle response is more responsive after the clean.

i rechecked the throttle body after the fuel filter change and to no suprise there was a puddle of oil. same as the first time when i did the intial clean. other than that the car runs good and strong with no problems yet so far.
woah, didn't see this until today, sorry.

that definitely sounds like the same problem that I had. I hope that your problem has been resolved.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
I too had a small amount of oil in the throttle body. My car has 58k miles. I inquired with my SA about it which he then inquired with his technician. He was told it was normal and that it was coming from the super charger . Doesn't seem normal to me but I guess a few of us have this problem if it even is a real problem. The car runs fine most of the time but sometimes I do get a lag in the throttle even when I fully gas it. Like the supercharger is taking more time than normal to kick in.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM

C230 coupe 2002
Try removing the S/C, "Silencer" = Oil all over.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by nlpamg
woah, didn't see this until today, sorry.

that definitely sounds like the same problem that I had. I hope that your problem has been resolved.

the problem is solved, i dont get the shaking and wanting to die out feeling no more, it starts up normal. as far as the oil inthe throttle body i havent check, since its like a known problem.

i did a combination of stuff, fuel filter, oil change ( which im glad i did, the oil filter was breaking apart as i was trying to slide it off), check valve, and i did clean the throttle body. and im not reving the engine as hard as i did when i first got it. just normal driveing, ocassionly stomping the gas.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Good news - Have you any idea what brand that oil filter was??? We see them breaking up from time to time but I'm convinced it's only with rubbish filters & not the OEM ones.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:17 AM

C230 coupe 2002
the problem is solved, i dont get the shaking and wanting to die out feeling no more, it starts up normal. as far as the oil inthe throttle body i havent check, since its like a known problem.

i did a combination of stuff, fuel filter, oil change ( which im glad i did, the oil filter was breaking apart as i was trying to slide it off), check valve, and i did clean the throttle body. and im not reving the engine as hard as i did when i first got it. just normal driveing, ocassionly stomping the gas.
Dinky. where did you get your fuel filter?, and how much was it?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Good news - Have you any idea what brand that oil filter was??? We see them breaking up from time to time but I'm convinced it's only with rubbish filters & not the OEM ones.
i have no idea what type of filter it was, it was my first oil change ever since i got the car. but it did have a plastic adapter like sleave looked just like the filter holder itslelf. i now use mann oil filters.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by LinDenKid
Dinky. where did you get your fuel filter?, and how much was it?
here is the link to were i got the filter from, http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._14601D3A.aspx

inthe diy they fail to tell you that the filter uses 3 differnt size hose clamps. i went back and fouth to autozone to get the right ones.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300

Glad you got it fixed. I only use OE oil filters from the dealer. It's only $17 something at my local MB dealer.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're probably paying too much, aznmode. If your dealer is like all the rest they're selling the paper filter. You can get the same one for about $10 online or $12 in Advance Auto Parts.