C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C32 AMG Brake Upgrade Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-30-2002, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 BMW e92 335i
C32 AMG Brake Upgrade Discussion Thread

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if the AMG c32 rotors and calipers would fit on the c320?? would I need any kind of modifications for it to fit or is it a direct replacement? also if anyone knows if the sports package anti-roll bars are the same ones as the c32's?? thanks for any help
Old 07-30-2002, 07:05 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Why would you want to spend the $$ to put AMG brakes on your car?

They won't make the car stop even one inch shorter than it already does.

In fact, they will be of ZERO benefit to you (unless you want them for cosmetic reasons - which I don't understand, but some people here apparently are willing to spend good $$ on brakes and rotors for purely cosmetic reasons, so go figure).
Old 07-30-2002, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
SoCal is right. Unless you do some major track racin I think you would be fine with the stock ones. If you want looks it will be alot cheaper to find a set of slotted or drilled rotors and a set of low dust porterfield pads.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:36 PM
rrf

Wait a minute

If what you guys say is true, the C32 would stop longer than the C320, not so. Any data?

Maybe not worth it, but that is an entirely different argument.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I know for a fact that you would need 17" wheels.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
my reasons

my brakes are in need of replacing, i may have to replace the rotors as well, i was considering brembos, or the amg c32 setup. it's partially for performance and somewhat cosmetics. i plan to do more to the engine in the future. so from the current replies i'm figuring it's not worth it for the c32 kit. thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Re: Wait a minute

Originally posted by rrf
If what you guys say is true, the C32 would stop longer than the C320, not so. Any data?

If you can hit the brakes hard enough to cause the ABS system to engage then whats the point of upgrading brakes unless you need a fade-free braking system.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:41 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Wait a minute

Originally posted by rrf

I believe SoCal and Timmy are making the point that the AMG brake's potential capacity to stop shorter will be offset by the ABS system, which will pulse the heavier duty brakes using the same settings as the standard brakes. The AMG brakes might lock up sooner, but ABS will let the wheels roll anyway.

In addition, it's been previously discussed that the larger brakes will require more heat to work efficiently than the stock brakes... if they are not fully warmed up, you might actually see longer stopping distances than stock.

That's my understanding, at any rate.

How many miles do you have on the car that requires replacing the brakes already? Just had my 2001 model C320 brakes state inspected and they have more than 85% of their pad life remaining after 12,000 miles.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
interesting points. i put on a set of 13" brembos on my volvo wagon...it works so well when i have heavy loads or when i stop from really high speeds track or highway (e.g. 60 mph+)...these two scenarios really make it shine. normal street driving and stuff u probably won't notice much, just feels like it has a little more bite...
Old 07-30-2002, 10:51 PM

W203
Re: my reasons

Originally posted by phattbam
my brakes are in need of replacing, i may have to replace the rotors as well, i was considering brembos, or the amg c32 setup. it's partially for performance and somewhat cosmetics. i plan to do more to the engine in the future. so from the current replies i'm figuring it's not worth it for the c32 kit. thanks for the help.
Hey what up phattbam!

Looks like your going for cosmetic reasons. I believe the c32 braking system would be cheaper to purchase than Brembo's.

The Brembo Gran Turismo Kit, just for the front would run you $3200 - $3500 "yikes" looks good though!

Or you could just go crossdrilled rotors like me and spend a little under $1000.

I'll post pics once I take them.

Purly cosmetic!

I might upgrade to Gran Turismo once I get the blower installed though
Old 07-30-2002, 11:15 PM
rrf

Lots of cash

OK, but I gotta believe that if properly installed the AMG system on a C320 (just like AMG does), would get AMG-like results. Sure if the ABS is so wacked by the change that it actually gets worse... interesting idea. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has tested that theory out.

Most importantly, we all will agree that the change is very very expensive, several thousand dollars for sure: AMG/Brembo Calipers, Drilled Rotors, Pads, AMG Wheels (special wheels are required to clear the big AMG caliper), thus probably Tires too. (and ALSO maybe some ABS change as you suggested).

After all is said and done, MAYBE the car stops like a C32, even a couple of feet shorter, say 10 feet shorter. Lost of money for 10 feet (out of 120).

I agree with others, if "looks" is the goal, then just install standard-sized but drilled rotors, they will look good. I found drilled Brembo rotors for my old car that were very inexpensive.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:50 AM
Almost a Member!

What are u guys talking about ?
why won't the larger brakes that use to stop a 300+hp car not stop any better then the standard brakes on the c320 ?

My spec's may not be correct but isn't the AmgC32 brakes 4pot and the stardard 1 or 2 pot ?
Also I belive the amg setup use a larger rotor setup too.

I really think the amg setup would do wonders on the c320 or better yet the cCouple. =D

I personally if I was to upgrade brakes look at the AMG setup also, who knows what u'll find in a junk yard right.

SO, the main question is. which the guy has been asking is will the c32AMG brakes fit on other c-class ?
Anyone know what is needed in order to have it fit ?
caliper, rotor, pads, brackets maybe ?
Old 07-31-2002, 12:13 PM
Banned

'00 ML320 Elegance/'03 C320 4-matic
Re: Re: Wait a minute

Originally posted by MB-BOB
I believe SoCal and Timmy are making the point that the AMG brake's potential capacity to stop shorter will be offset by the ABS system, which will pulse the heavier duty brakes using the same settings as the standard brakes. The AMG brakes might lock up sooner, but ABS will let the wheels roll anyway.
This is completely untrue!! There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding as to how ABS/ESP works.

ABS does not pulse wheels at specific settings. The wheel speed sensor detects whether the wheel is about to lock up so there is no specific calibration for a certain rotor size at all. A locked wheel has a longer braking distance (has to do with friction co-efficient) than one on the verge of lockup.

Increasing the rotor size will obviously give you better braking performance since there is a larger swept area for the pads to clamp down onto. Brakes don't need to warm up to be efficient. It's tires that need to warm up for better grip.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:40 PM

2002 c230k
If you can lock the wheels up causing the abs to kick in then you can achieve the shortest possible stopping distance. The larger brake will not decrease the distance because lockup is a factor of the amount of energy that can be transmitted from the tire to the road surface, not the brake to road surface. The same tire will lock up at the same point with any size brake. The advantage of larger brakes is to distribute the braking energy over a larger area of rotor to lessen heat and wear per unit area, so there is less fade and rotor warpage when braking hard repeatedly. Again, if you can lock up with stock brakes you will not stop any shorter with larger brakes, get stickier tires and you will stop shorter as more force can be transmitted from tire to road.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:52 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Re: Re: Wait a minute

Originally posted by Drew_ML

This is completely untrue!! There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding as to how ABS/ESP works.

ABS does not pulse wheels at specific settings. The wheel speed sensor detects whether the wheel is about to lock up so there is no specific calibration for a certain rotor size at all. A locked wheel has a longer braking distance (has to do with friction co-efficient) than one on the verge of lockup.

Increasing the rotor size will obviously give you better braking performance since there is a larger swept area for the pads to clamp down onto. Brakes don't need to warm up to be efficient. It's tires that need to warm up for better grip.
I think we are talking around the same issue/opinion. I think mdp c230k states it another way and probably better, "The larger brake will not decrease the distance because lockup is a factor of the amount of energy that can be transmitted from the tire to the road surface, not the brake to road surface. The same tire will lock up at the same point with any size brake."

A "bigger" brake system will NOT give shorter stopping distances using the same tire, because ABS only pays attention to the impending lock-up of the tire. I wouldn't dispute that a "bigger" system has better stopping potential, but it will only lock up the tire sooner, bringing ABS into play sooner. Hence, no better overall performance.

Changing tires to a softer (stickier) compound or a wider contact patch would help. But I think the original question implied keeping the stock wheels and tires and just upgrading the brakes.

I have not seen any side-by-side comparisons of braking performance between a C320 and a C32 AMG. If the C32 were to stop shorter, it would be because of the differences between the tires (compound/contact patch size), not the size of the brake rotors, etc.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 07-31-2002 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:06 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Re: Re: Re: Wait a minute

Originally posted by Drew_ML

Yep. And you are one of the ones who don't understand ABS/ESP.

Putting C32 brakes on a C320 will NOT give the C320 any shorter stopping distance. Period. End of story. Anyone who thinks or tells you otherwise simply does not know what he is talking about.

The only time bigger brakes would decrease stopping distance is if the stock brakes are so small that you could overheat them and/or boil the brake fluid.

Believe me, no C320 street driver (is there any other kind of C320 driver???) will ever cook his stock brakes, no matter how hard a driver he thinks he is.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:16 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Re: Re: Wait a minute

Originally posted by MB-BOB

That is kind of true. But its not because the ABS has any certain "settings." Its because the ABS will always apply the brakes to the maximum adhesion level of the tires. The stock system is far more than capable of easily doing that. So any additional strength would not and could not be used.

Thus, putting C32 or IndyCar brakes on a C320 won't do anything to decrease stopping distance.

Further, even if the C32 and the C320 didn't have ABS at all, putting C32 brakes on a C320 would not help it stop shorter. Without ABS, the C320 brakes would be more than strong enough to cause the wheels to lock up and skid. Obviously, that is the most one can ask of brakes. If the brakes on an non-ABS car are strong enough to lock up the wheels, obviously putting stronger brakes on cannot do anything to decrease stopping distance. A locked wheel is a locked wheel.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:10 PM

C32 AMG
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
Old 07-31-2002, 02:50 PM

2002 C230K
is 6 ft of stopping distance really worth that much more money to anyone? the coupe will stop in 124. the c32 in 118. do you really care about those extra 6 ft. if you are going so fast and are so close to someone that those numbers actually make a difference for you, then 6 ft wont help you. back off, or pass.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:33 PM
Almost a Member!

ok, are u guys saying that there u nothing u can do to the c320 brakes in order to improve breaking ???
So, all the brembo, kleenman(sp I think) and other tunners big brake kits does nothing in improving braking ?

Now, lets go back to the original question.
Does anyone know if the c32 brakes will fit on the other c-class ?
Old 07-31-2002, 04:18 PM

2002 c230k
Originally posted by wants a cCoupe
ok, are u guys saying that there u nothing u can do to the c320 brakes in order to improve breaking ???
So, all the brembo, kleenman(sp I think) and other tunners big brake kits does nothing in improving braking ?

Bigger brakes don't fade, if all else stays the same (tires and supspension) they will not stop any shorter, get it? If you want to stop shorter change your tires. End of story. All the tuners also use bigger tires so they can use more powerful brakes. If you can lock the tires you can not stop any faster, period, unless you change tires or suspension. Before you ask, the suspension can change the transfer of weight durring a stop which makes a big difference.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
Originally posted by wants a cCoupe

thank you cCoupe for reiterating the original question. to set some things straight I have aftermarket wheels that would clear the brake upgrade whether it be Brembo or the C32's. I also have a performance suspension kit from H&R as well. the car was originally a sport model so i have the factory anti-roll bars if there is any difference with those to the base model. I just figured the AMG set would be easier to obtain since it's out and brembo may still be in development.... thanks
Old 07-31-2002, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The brakes on the C32 are much better than the C320. They are 4-piston calipers, made by Brembo. They are not the same as a the big brake kit, but they definitely are an upgrade to stock. Adding these brakes would be highly beneficial. Just because the brakes are stronger, does not mean that it will instantly hit the ABS. I upgraded my CLK430 to Brembo brakes, and have rarely used the ABS. The 4-piston caliper provides smoother and firmer braking over the larger surface area (rotor size). This translates to stopping at shorter distances. When I was first adjusting to my Brembo's, I found myself stopping 10-15 feet early, and having to adjust from there. More importantly, the C32 brakes and other Brembo applications, provide less brake fade on repeated braking.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Get the AMG brakes, it will help your car brake better, in the sense of less stress and warping chances, will look better, and they will help you brake easier (not shorter but easier)
Old 07-31-2002, 05:29 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by pocholin
Get the AMG brakes, it will help your car brake better, in the sense of less stress and warping chances, will look better, and they will help you brake easier (not shorter but easier)
Less stress and warping chances??? Does anyone have any reason to believe the stock brakes are stressed or will warp?? (I doubt it). Anyways, even if that were the case, why not wait until they warp (I think you will be waiting a very long time), THEN spend the money.

Looks better??? Umm, ok. That's a lot of time, effort and money to have "better looking" brakes.

Brake easier?? The brakes on these cars are overboosted as it is. Any easier and you will have Buick Le Sabre brake feel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C32 AMG Brake Upgrade Discussion Thread