C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 C230 Traction Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 08:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
2002 C230 Traction Control

IS traction control ESP ?
Old 01-24-2002, 08:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
YES

Traction control is ESP, which for MB includes ASR, not to be confused with ABS, OK?
Old 01-24-2002, 08:24 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K
tommy ...thanks for your asap response
Old 01-24-2002, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Well, I think there is some distinction. Traction control per se, is the "simple" control of a spinning drive wheel upon takeoff or acceleration. The wheel spin is brought under control by ABS applying brake to that wheel, and I think there may be some engine output modulation also.

ESP on the other hand is a more sophisticated Stability Program. Additional sensors are used to determine whether vehicle direction is correct in relation to various inputs such as steering angle. There are yaw sensors which can detect vehicle slip or unintended rotation (i.e., fishtailing). In that case, the appropriate wheel or wheels are braked individually to control the spin.

ESP can be turned off via the dashboard switch, but it has been confirmed that the traction control component remains active. There's some other way of disabling the whole system but I don't remember now.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MarkL
ESP can be turned off via the dashboard switch, but it has been confirmed that the traction control component remains active. There's some other way of disabling the whole system but I don't remember now.

mbtech208 described the procedure in the tech forum: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=&threadid=854
Old 01-24-2002, 02:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K
ESP, Traction Control and Snow

The manual states to turn off ESP if you're starting off in deep snow. So I guess traction control stays on when ESP is off.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:11 AM

w203 c230K 2002
ESP

When ESP is turn off the traction control is turned off completly. The residual working componets are those of the yaw sensors and directional stability.

Randy
Old 01-25-2002, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Re: ESP

Originally posted by renncpe
When ESP is turn off the traction control is turned off completly. The residual working componets are those of the yaw sensors and directional stability.
I'm sorry Randy, but in the past, it was said just the opposite. Turning off ESP disables the Electronic Stability Program (ESP), which involves the yaw sensors. The "straight" traction control is left operational even when ESP is turned off. On the technical forum, there was a procedure for disabling the traction control function which is not affected by the "ESP off" switch.

Edit: See the post titled "Smoky Burnouts for all 203 owners" in the tech talk forum. It explains how to disable the traction control via the steering wheel buttons.

Last edited by MarkL; 01-25-2002 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:08 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Re: Re: ESP

Originally posted by MarkL

I'm sorry Randy, but in the past, it was said just the opposite. Turning off ESP disables the Electronic Stability Program (ESP), which involves the yaw sensors. The "straight" traction control is left operational even when ESP is turned off. On the technical forum, there was a procedure for disabling the traction control function which is not affected by the "ESP off" switch.

Edit: See the post titled "Smoky Burnouts for all 203 owners" in the tech talk forum. It explains how to disable the traction control via the steering wheel buttons.
There is a way to disable the whole system by putting it in DYNO mode. But I can simply turn off the ESP at the dash switch and do a burn out, but I cannot do donuts when you get about half way around it will stop you. That is what I base my observations on.

Randy
Old 01-25-2002, 11:24 AM

Re ESP & ASR

It is my understanding that you can switch off the ESP portion of the program by the using the ESP switch on the dashboard. however, I think the ASR program is still operating even with the ESP switch turned off. I do not know this for sure and I agree it seems that one is able to accelerate better with the ESP switch in the off position, which would indicate that ASR is also switched off or at least modified. I hope someone can clarify the issue. See below for Mercedes definition of programs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESP ®
The Electronic Stability Program (ESP ®) selectively applies precisely controlled brake pressure to individual wheels at the front and/ or rear axle as well as electronically reducing engine torque, if necessary

By expanding the anti-slip sensors to include information about steering angle and rotation of the vehicle about the vertical axis (yaw), deviations from the desired optimum course can be detected and corrected.

ESP not only improves directional control, but also works to stabilize the vehicle automatically in all driving situations, especially when cornering and during sudden evasive maneuvers.

ASR

The Automatic Slip Control prevents rear wheel slip and swerving under acceleration.

It responds by braking the slipping wheel and reducing the engine torque.

C-Coupe

Traction Control & Stability Systems

Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Automatic Slip Control (ASR) Standard ESP compares the driver's intended course, via steering and braking inputs, to the vehicle's response, via lateral acceleration, rotation (yaw) and individual wheel speeds. ESP then brakes individual front or rear wheels and/or reduces excess engine power as needed to help correct understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing). ESP incorporates the functions of ASR traction control, which senses drive-wheel slip and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels, and/or reduces excess engine power, until control is regained.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
you are correct. using the button only deactivates ESP

using mbtech's technique deactivates ESP, ASR and BAS (according to DtS)