C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Is my C320 auto transmission faulty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Is my C320 auto transmission faulty?

I have a 2 month old 2003 C320 sedan. I have noticed some strange behaviors from the transmission and was wondering if these behaviors are normal? Also, FYI, these issues have been noted when the car is already warmed-up, not just when cold.

First, the transmission often seems to shift funny from 2-3 and from 3-4 gears under moderate-to-heavy acceleration. Just when it disengages the throttle to shift to the next gear, it will hesitate for a moment and then kick-in semi-abruptly when accelerating into the next gear. This is best described as a stutter. This stuttering sounds like engaging the next gear, then backing off very briefly, thenly re-engaging. Almost as if I killed the throttle right when hitting the next gear, then reapplied.

The other problem I believe is also related to the transmission, or maybe the throttle management system that works in conjunction with the transmission and shifting program. The other day, I was crusing at about 20 mph and accelerated sharply to get onto a freeway on ramp. I reached the top RPM range (far from red line) for the gear I was in (probably 3rd), and car went to shift on to the next gear. When it went to shift out of 3rd, it was like someone shut off the ignition (the throttle was cut off completely for about 1.5 seconds and the car slowed abruptly) though I still had my foot on the gas pedal. When the throttle and transmission re-engaged, it was in the next gear and accelerated rapidly. I've experienced this twice since I've owned the car.

Has anyone had these types of issues? Any suggestions or thoughts on what may be the problem? Of course these are intermittent problems, so I'm concerned they won't be able to reproduce them while it's in for service.

Last edited by jhillman; 02-18-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suggest you take it to the shop .. and don't hesitate (like your car does)
Old 02-19-2003, 10:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
So has anyone had these issues with their transmission?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

when i start mine cold in the morning it runs in first and second gear untill i slow down at the stop sign, then it shifts fine.... It hesitates to shift out of second causing the rpms to be like 3500 at 20 mph... Odd, I asked a mechanic and he said there is something wrong, but the computer doesn't show anything? My car has 93k miles on it, 2nd owner... I'm guessing if i get my tranny flushed it will fix it... Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Originally Posted by sirenebekim
when i start mine cold in the morning it runs in first and second gear untill i slow down at the stop sign, then it shifts fine.... It hesitates to shift out of second causing the rpms to be like 3500 at 20 mph... Odd, I asked a mechanic and he said there is something wrong, but the computer doesn't show anything? My car has 93k miles on it, 2nd owner... I'm guessing if i get my tranny flushed it will fix it... Any thoughts? Thanks!
If the engine is cold, it will run in a lower gear (higher rpm) in an attempt to bring the cats up to operating temperature more quickly. This is normal. Once the cats are up to temperature, the transmission then shifts normally.

(I'd consider changing mechanics)
Old 12-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by dmatre
If the engine is cold, it will run in a lower gear (higher rpm) in an attempt to bring the cats up to operating temperature more quickly. This is normal. Once the cats are up to temperature, the transmission then shifts normally.

(I'd consider changing mechanics)
The manual agrees with you. It states that this is the normal process for a cold engine to heat up the catalytic converter. This does not harm your engine.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Not normal. I have read where problems are caused by the TCU getting drenched by trans oil migrating up the wiring harness (the TCU is located under the passenger floor carpet beneath a steel plate?...haven't seen it myself though). One poster suggested that first pulling the TCU connector/harness electrical connector out of the transmission and if fluid drips from the harness the seal is probably bad. Have you checked your trans fluid level?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLK500
My car experiences the same problem as stated below. I just got my car back today from service. The invoice states that "Short Test Code P2203. Internal Electrical Fault W/Y3/6N3. Speed Sensors. Replace ETC Control Plate in Trans. Clear Codes."

I am not sure if this means anything. Anyone ?

Originally Posted by jhillman
I have a 2 month old 2003 C320 sedan. I have noticed some strange behaviors from the transmission and was wondering if these behaviors are normal? Also, FYI, these issues have been noted when the car is already warmed-up, not just when cold.

First, the transmission often seems to shift funny from 2-3 and from 3-4 gears under moderate-to-heavy acceleration. Just when it disengages the throttle to shift to the next gear, it will hesitate for a moment and then kick-in semi-abruptly when accelerating into the next gear. This is best described as a stutter. This stuttering sounds like engaging the next gear, then backing off very briefly, thenly re-engaging. Almost as if I killed the throttle right when hitting the next gear, then reapplied.

The other problem I believe is also related to the transmission, or maybe the throttle management system that works in conjunction with the transmission and shifting program. The other day, I was crusing at about 20 mph and accelerated sharply to get onto a freeway on ramp. I reached the top RPM range (far from red line) for the gear I was in (probably 3rd), and car went to shift on to the next gear. When it went to shift out of 3rd, it was like someone shut off the ignition (the throttle was cut off completely for about 1.5 seconds and the car slowed abruptly) though I still had my foot on the gas pedal. When the throttle and transmission re-engaged, it was in the next gear and accelerated rapidly. I've experienced this twice since I've owned the car.

Has anyone had these types of issues? Any suggestions or thoughts on what may be the problem? Of course these are intermittent problems, so I'm concerned they won't be able to reproduce them while it's in for service.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:48 PM

C200K W203
the best thing that you can do when it comes to AT tranny is to check the AT oil if they still good or not. Usually, changing AT oil help cures a lot of AT problems such as shaking and slow shifts. But in your case, you should take it to the dealer and insist that the problem be fix. When the syptom of the car is intermitten usually relates to electronics issues, not mechanical. A STAR should be able to verify that for you. Anyway, Keep us inform man.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 AM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
Call Park Place, ask for Steve in service. Tell him you're on mbworld and David with the purple C320 told you he'd take good care of you. There is DEFINITELY a problem with this car.

How many miles are on the car and do you know if the transmission has ever been serviced?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
Please refer to my message under the heading of R230 transmission problems

See what is known to MB already about their faulty transmissions
Old 08-02-2014, 01:12 PM

C320
03 c320 , tranny problems..???

Im trying to buy this car with 267k (2003). ..but When starting car sometimes does car will rock when placing in gear and result is when u get out on road will not get out of 1/2 gear or sometimes after start will go into gear smoothly and never have a problem! ,,,PLEASE NEED HELP ASAP...!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Does the holding of 1st & 2nd gear only happen at a cold start? The vehicle is supposed to go into high idle & hold on to low gears when cold to heat the Cats more quickly. This is normal behavior. If it does it hot then something is wrong.

Is there any service history on this car. Has the transmission been serviced every 39K miles or 60K Km's? If the transmission has not been serviced you are taking a big chance. At that mileage you are getting the car cheaply I presume. A major transmission repair could cost what the car is worth.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.