C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

H&R sway bar bushing problem... any H&R users out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2009 | 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
H&R sway bar bushing problem... any H&R users out there?

Well, I know there are H&R sway bar users, as I've been searching around this morning but can't seem to find anyone that had the same problem. I did find a post by Russell Stevens (who I bought the bars from), but thats about it...

Seems the bushings I got directly from H&R (and cost $$$) aren't correct for this application. I'm wondering if any of you H&R users out there ran in to the same problem? Pic is below: stock sway bar w/bushing on it, bracket, & new H&R bushing. No way can I stuff the new bushing into the bracket. Notice the grooves in the stock bushing vs. the ribs on the H&R bushing...

Do I need different brackets, different bushings, or??? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails H&R sway bar bushing problem... any H&R users out there?-hrbush.jpg  

Last edited by mtnman82; 09-13-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2009 | 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Moped
this wont help.. but the same thing happend to me.. i dint upgrade my sways i just wanted to replace the bushings coz it was making noise.. ordered it from allmercedes and it looks exactly like your picture. i never replaced it.. dealer said sway bar was one peice.. so i dunno about the H&R ones. if you find a solution to this i might upgrade mine's too.
Old 09-13-2009 | 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Looks like yours may have been built with the later 203 323 27 40 anti-roll bar mounting brackets?

If so, they’ll require backdating to the 203 323 12 40 (RH) & 203 323 11 40 (LH) pieces to accommodate the H&R’s bushings. Just a moment ago crawled under mine to verify the part numbers that work with its H&R combination.

mbcollector-
MB’s OTC replacement bars are typically furnished with their bushings.
However, they’re not “one piece.” The bushings themselves are available separately. Of course, there are a wide variety of bar sizes and mounting configurations from which select in the EPC.

Perhaps the parts guy you spoke with was too lazy to ascertain the correct hardware. They’re ~$10 for the pair.
Old 09-13-2009 | 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Splinter - you the man, as always! I *think* I ordered some of those brackets on the off chance I needed them (ordered, then checked and thought they were the same as what I had on there ... but hopefully not).

MBcollector - I was going to call H&R, but maybe I'll wait until I get the other brackets now...
Old 09-13-2009 | 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

If we had any sense at all we’d leave them well enough alone - but what’s the challenge and reward from having done that?

Certainly not trying to belittle your predicament. Merely attempting to commiserate with the bloody knuckles and dirty fingernails you and a few here have personally experienced. Ran a quick tank of fuel through the C today. Although it’s not my daily driver, its running gear tweaks have at last come into their own with regards to the feel and maneuverability they’ve provided. Be hard pressed to find another ~$10k machine that’s comparable IMHO.

Beats the heck out me what’s going on with your caliber situation though. Hang tough. Brighter days ahead.
Old 09-14-2009 | 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Really wish I had noticed the parts #'s when I had the brackets off......

I know I'll be all smiles when this is sorted out, but yeah, I wonder sometimes. My boss at work keeps telling me the same thing ("you could just leave it alone you know"). And I will leave it alone

... when I get the sway bar bushings figured out and (at least) the front brakes upgraded.
Old 09-19-2009 | 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not that I doubted Splinter in the slightest, but just wanted to confirm this info on the brackets. There's actually a sheet from H&R showing the two types of brackets and the parts #'s for the larger ones to be used with the H&R sways. I also got a new bracket for the headlight sensor to accomodate the larger bar.
Old 09-20-2009 | 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Speak your mind, mtnman82.

I’ve inadvertently posted faulty information here almost as often as haphazardly stumbling across the straight scoop.
Quite sure it won’t be the last time!

Our Tire Rack-sourced bar included the oversized headlamp leveling sensor clamp. Necessitated a few sensor and lamp aiming screw adjustments to ensure proper illumination, particularly after concurrently altering its ride height and rake.

Kindly share H&R’s most recent anti-roll bar bushing and bracket intel for those who may be contemplating the upgrade, lest they suffer similar frustration during their installation.
Old 09-20-2009 | 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll take pic's and scan the sheet. Post it tomorrow...

Regarding ride height/rake, that's the main reason I'm bummed I forgot to measure before I put the new springs/shocks on. Is there a proceedure somewhere for adjusting the Bi-X headlamps?

I bought the bars used, so was using tie-wraps... I was pleasantly surprised to see the new clamp with the bushing I ordered. Unfortunately, still waiting on the new braskets...

Last edited by mtnman82; 09-20-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2009 | 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The bushing in the pic above(1st post) is a new H&R, before I mangled it to put it in the skinny bracket(on the car now). I believe it's still the same as the ones in the sway bar DIY. I ordered another set (ouch!!! they're $25/bushing) after realizing what was going on, and the second set included the sheet & bracket. BTW, you can't order from H&R direct and I had no luck getting some passed along for free. They made me order thru a dealer...

And here you go.
H&R sway bar bushing problem... any H&R users out there?-hrswaynote.jpg
Attached Thumbnails H&R sway bar bushing problem... any H&R users out there?-hrswaynote.jpg  

Last edited by mtnman82; 09-20-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2009 | 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Appreciate the confirmation.
That page wasn’t included with mine in ‘06. Apparently you weren’t the only one to be confronted with the same dilemma.

Regarding the legitimate headlamp aiming concern – you’ll promptly know if they’re too low or high.
Had a delicious trifecta of spring, bar, and Euro xenon upgrades conspiring against their proper aiming all fitted within a relatively short time frame. Certainly don’t want to unduly dazzle or blind oncoming motorists, but one best drive behind all the illumination for which he’s already paid. If your lights cycle though from their low to high sweep upon startup before settling in on about a halfway point, the front sensor is likely near the correct orientation. Dealers and marque-specific shops typically utilize sophisticated aiming equipment and adjust aiming height via SDS. Be that as it may, they still use the adjustment screws to correct lateral aim and account for side-to-side irregularities.

Used Mr. Stern’s DOT-approved tutorial to zero in the lamps’ low-beam mechanical adjustments. Never been signaled for excessive glare, yet they’ll illuminate reflective markers over a mile away on otherwise unlighted secondary roads when switched to their high-beam setting.

Incidentally, my contact at H&R has gone out of his way to help ensure satisfaction with the spring and bar issues personally experienced. Not a shill for them – paid full fare – but the after-sale support I’ve received from them has been commendable.
You’re welcome to PM for his direct phone should the need arise.

Last edited by splinter; 10-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.