C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2007 C230 grind on left turn and steering problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 W203 C230
2007 C230 grind on left turn and steering problems

New to the Benz world coming from BMW community. Bought a 2007 C230 Sport and everything find and dandle. Road noise from the tires are a little annoying but been having a little issues lately.

When I take a sharp low speed turn, I hear a grinding type noise from the front end. Figuring it might be wheel bearing but thought if it was wheel bearing I would hear it all the time?

Other problem is that when going over bumps the steering kind goes a little loose. Meaning it sometimes pulls the right and sometimes to the left a decent amount. I pick up speed a little bit and it straightens out.Some people suggest maybe low PS fluid and others say maybe just bad alignment and tire balance needed.

Suggestions?

Had an appointment for my Indy to do an alignment and see what he thinks but called the stealership to see what their opinion was and he said that it would be free for me to bring it in and have them put it up in the air to see where the problem is (car only has 26k miles so still under warranty). He said maybe the bushings on the CAs might be bad but I do not think it would be that since the car is only 2 years old.

Was going to take tomorrow off to go to the Indy but the stealership said they can get me in Friday morning so if you guys think it is more of a parts warranty issue rather then alignment, I will take Friday off and just go to the stealership.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by lamesc230
New to the Benz world coming from BMW community. Bought a 2007 C230 Sport and everything find and dandle. Road noise from the tires are a little annoying but been having a little issues lately.

When I take a sharp low speed turn, I hear a grinding type noise from the front end. Figuring it might be wheel bearing but thought if it was wheel bearing I would hear it all the time?

Other problem is that when going over bumps the steering kind goes a little loose. Meaning it sometimes pulls the right and sometimes to the left a decent amount. I pick up speed a little bit and it straightens out.Some people suggest maybe low PS fluid and others say maybe just bad alignment and tire balance needed.

Suggestions?

Had an appointment for my Indy to do an alignment and see what he thinks but called the stealership to see what their opinion was and he said that it would be free for me to bring it in and have them put it up in the air to see where the problem is (car only has 26k miles so still under warranty). He said maybe the bushings on the CAs might be bad but I do not think it would be that since the car is only 2 years old.

Was going to take tomorrow off to go to the Indy but the stealership said they can get me in Friday morning so if you guys think it is more of a parts warranty issue rather then alignment, I will take Friday off and just go to the stealership.
1st, welcome to the forum! I have an 07 that had some slow speed popping and it ended up being a bad steering rack that was replaced under warranty. There is a TSB on this, and it seems a few of the 07's had some bad steering racks.

As far as the dealership saying the problem could be control arm bushings, that is also a VERY good possibility. Seems these cars have a weak spot for the caster bushings and several have had them replaced at low mileage, myself included. Mine were replace around 30K miles. Do a search on here for "caster bushings", and there are many threads covering them.

My recommendation, is just take it to the dealer, and have them fix it under warranty. If it does need an alignment, the dealers generally do a better job anyway.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Listen to Johnand - he has recent experience - see his thread.

It could just be a loose wheel bearing allowing the rotor to move around in the caliper & make a noise.

Turn steering from lock to lock 5 times to bleed system - then check PS fluid level taking temperature into account - these cars are very fluid level sensitive before they aerate their fluid & you hear it shreaking through the pressure relief valves.

Read this thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ver-bumps.html

Make them fix under warranty. Lucky you!
Good luck

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-23-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
And welcome
Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 AM

2007 W203 C230
Wow...thank you very much for the warm and quick welcome! Just canceled my appointment at my Indy and scheduled appointment at the stealership for Friday morning! I will print out the information you guys gave me and have them look and replace what needs to be replaced.

Sorry that I did not do a search as I was not really sure what I was looking for. So I apologize if this stuff has been covered before.

EDIT: My other concern now is that if it a steering rack or something decently major, they probably will not give me a loaner for the few days it possibly is in there. They said they offer a drop off at work service but if it is there for like 3 days or whatever, that will get very annoying. Just heard that this dealership is not the best in the world when it comes to people that do not buy cars from them, even then I heard they are still *******s most the time.

Last edited by lamesc230; 09-23-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Can you take it to another dealer? You have a Mercedes that is under warranty. You're free to go to any dealership. I took my car to a dealership that I didn't buy from and I got a loaner every single time.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 PM

2007 W203 C230
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Can you take it to another dealer? You have a Mercedes that is under warranty. You're free to go to any dealership. I took my car to a dealership that I didn't buy from and I got a loaner every single time.
Not a 100% sure if I will get one or not but I highly doubt it because it seems the BMW and Mercedes dealerships around here are the most elitist *******s around.

This is the closest one to me. I am going to do some research though to see where the next closest one is.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 PM

2007 W203 C230
Yep...as I thought, the next closest dealer is 45mins away BUT is owned by the one that is 10mins away. So to get a completely different dealership I would have to travel about an hour and 15.