C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

: : [ Lemon Law involving my car :( ] : :

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
: : [ Lemon Law involving my car :( ] : :

Guy's, unfortunetly i think my car may be a lemon. I have had my esp/bas go out 3 times and have had engine oil problems four times. At this time i think i may have to claim my car.

Does anybody know whom i should address my letter to at MBUSA?

Thanks,

Vince
Old 03-05-2003, 05:46 PM

C230K
Got it.

Paul Halata
1 Mercedes Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645

Just called up Customer Service, at least they're good for something
Old 03-05-2003, 06:17 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

The ESP/BAS warning is a common fault and requires a part to the wiring loom, unfortunately these seem to be in short supply. Not sure about your oil problem. I would be surprised if you have a case with just those faults if they can be sorted.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:15 PM

C230K
Originally posted by Apollo
Hi

The ESP/BAS warning is a common fault and requires a part to the wiring loom, unfortunately these seem to be in short supply. Not sure about your oil problem. I would be surprised if you have a case with just those faults if they can be sorted.
i can understand esp going out once, but three times??? come on. They replaced the sensor the first time it happened. Then 4 times for oil problems. I also had a problem with my AC, sunroof, throttle, and ignition. If that doesn't qualify as a lemon, what does?
Old 03-05-2003, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

vince...i think i have to burst your bubble.

My ESP went off dozen of times... i think you better bring it to Downtown LA Mercedes....they do great jobs there..

I have prob with my seats...sunroof too..............

seriously...have more faith in your car..
Old 03-06-2003, 08:25 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by Vince
i can understand esp going out once, but three times??? come on. They replaced the sensor the first time it happened. Then 4 times for oil problems. I also had a problem with my AC, sunroof, throttle, and ignition. If that doesn't qualify as a lemon, what does?
It has to be something major basically to get to be a lemon. None of your comlaints prevent you from driving the vehicle (except when being serviced), and most seem like they were fixed, or can be fixed.

Not sure what your throttle and ignition problems were, but oil problems are a common problem on a variety of cars, some engines just never seal properly and leak, sometimes this is caused directly by the buyer not properly breaking in the engine (not saying you didn't, just some people don't, and they shouldn't complain when their engine starts eating oil).

I think you need a real major problem (engine, transmission failure), or quite a few more little problems before you can lemon your car. I'd try to haggle more outta the dealership or local rep if anything, see if you can get some freebies to make up for the time and effort these problems have caused you.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by Xeon
vince...i think i have to burst your bubble.

My ESP went off dozen of times... i think you better bring it to Downtown LA Mercedes....they do great jobs there..

I have prob with my seats...sunroof too..............

seriously...have more faith in your car..
a dozen times !!???? damn...I would get rid of that thing !!
Old 03-06-2003, 09:38 AM

E350 Coupe (2010)
what about transmission problems?

Does that count?
Old 03-06-2003, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
I've been unlucky enough to lemon two cars in California. I think you do have enough. The law is really clear that the same issue being fix 4 times without a resolution qualifies. However, it sounds like you don't have either one of these problems anymore. If you don't have a problem you don't have a lemon.

I would not do anything until one of these two issues happens again.

Beth
Old 03-06-2003, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
a dozen times !!???? damn...I would get rid of that thing !!
I think he means he got the warning a dozen times. He didn't mention how many attempts there were to fit it. At least that's how I read it. We had the BAS/ESP warning several times a few months ago. The dealer said they fixed it. A few weeks ago we had another single occurance of the BAS/ESP light. We haven't had it again and haven't gotten around to having the dealer look at it again.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:30 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
I just got back from the dealer for the oil consumption test, and it used a little over a qt in 1400 miles. He said they would contact MB to see how to proceed. I am taking it to Daytona for bike week. (The bikes are going in a trailer) So I will see how it does on the trip. Between the tranmission and now this, this car is a real PITA. The EAS thing was minor compared to this other stuff.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i brought it in twice... =)
Old 03-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
I feel your pain...

Originally posted by speedfrk
I just got back from the dealer for the oil consumption test, and it used a little over a qt in 1400 miles. He said they would contact MB to see how to proceed. I am taking it to Daytona for bike week. (The bikes are going in a trailer) So I will see how it does on the trip. Between the tranmission and now this, this car is a real PITA. The EAS thing was minor compared to this other stuff.
I feel your pain, if you read my thread on "Normal Oil Loss" I am having the same problem. On this visit (the 5th one for the oil issue) they have had the car for 2 weeks and are currently breaking the engine down completely to try and figure it out. Of course they are then going to replace the rings, etc.

I'm pretty sure both of ours could be considered under the lemon law if we pursued it. I haven't made up my mind yet, waiting to see if they can fix it this time!

Of course now the trade-in or re-sale on my car will probably drop since it has a "re-built" engine.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL500 & 2021 Jeep Willys Gladiator
I feel your pain brother!

I too am in arbitration with my '02 VW Passat W8 on a buy-back. It has been in the shop about 11 times with a grand total of 16 job orders against it over the life of the car. I have had it only nine months. Three problems have been in the shop more than three times with two of them as of yet have not been resolved. It is going in again to have more parts installed. I have had 3 Check Engine lights in the past 2 months.

I have put a deposit down on an Orion blue '02 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe. As soon as I get the final word on my buy-back arbitration I will get rid of the W8 and drive away in the C230K.