C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

M272 Turbo is going to go down

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I haven't seen this yet splinter. I'll check it out, Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 Sport, 2010 C300 Sport
Karo,
You're friggin nuts! lol. All kidding aside, let me know if I can help in any way. In my many years of building, creating, and marketing, I've made good connections with people who tune and can help you out if need be. One thing I've learned from being in this buisness is that with the right money, anything can be done.

Oh and to make a note on that 2jz swap mention...
It's actually becoming a trend on the East. Lotta BMW guys are going that way too. Here's an example from my friend's site.
http://fatlace.com/stayfresh/ernie/2...toyota-hearts/

If all else fails, you can always do this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0VYH...layer_embedded
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 AM

'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
Karo,

I would email greg@eurocharged.com not sure what e-mail you had used for LET, but LET is now completely Eurocharged. Eurocharged has already done full ECU tuning for a turbo setup on a M112K engine, well they did the whole turbo mount as well. I'm sure they could handle your tuning for your setup if you don't mind the long hours needed to do the tuning.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
Karo,

I would email greg@eurocharged.com not sure what e-mail you had used for LET, but LET is now completely Eurocharged. Eurocharged has already done full ECU tuning for a turbo setup on a M112K engine, well they did the whole turbo mount as well. I'm sure they could handle your tuning for your setup if you don't mind the long hours needed to do the tuning.
Thanks, I just recently saw this (sorry for late reply).
Old 02-28-2010, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
maybe do e55 swap...there one ebay for $7500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E55-A...#ht_500wt_1102
Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM

06 C230 6 Speed FTW
Here you go :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...item27b1515916
Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
Originally Posted by omg its nate

OOOOOoooooo!!!!! they make it look so cheap and easy to do!!!!! hmmmmmm.......

i have to bookmark that link..
Old 04-29-2010, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
What's the plan Karo?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 coupe
Originally Posted by omg its nate
California have the engine check when doing the smog check so that one is a no go...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
lol! pretend to drop a bill on the floor! Sure pass!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by e1000
Ok, I can't take it anymore, I have to say something. Karo, this will be the last negative thing I say, and I hope you take it as a constructive warning.

Karo, this project will not be as simple as you think. No, you shouldn't be scared to turbo a car, but you should also do your homework. It sounds like you're talking to some people that know turbo's but that isn't going to mean a whole lot if they don't know Benz engines. What you are attempting to do is going to be a complete custom turbo build. The thicker headgasket that you're talking about, dosen't exist for your car. It will have to be custom made for your car. Not only that, but all the tubing, piping, everything will be custom. You're asking about the intercooler - noone knows because noone has done it. Boost? Who knows it might blow at 6psi, it might blow at 8psi. Noone here will be able to tell you until it's been tried. I respect others that have turbo'd a Mercedes, but respectfully, it's not a M272. The newer V6 and V8 are much higher specific output engines and may (or may not) be sensitive to boost. The piggyback ECU, that dosen't exist either. As far as I know, NOONE makes a piggyback for any late model mercedes, especially the new M272/M273. Also, when people say you're going to need to tune the ECU after you do this, they're not talking about a mail-in tune for $500. This will take a custom tune and hours, if not days of dyno testing, all done by someone who knows the Mercedes ECU in and out.

All I am saying is, you've got to ask yourself a couple of questions. What is your intended goal? Is there a better way to reach this goal? What's your budget? What is your plan if someone tears your engine apart and then decides the project is dead?

Keep in mind Karo, that multiple people with lots of time and money have failed at a project just like this.

With that said, I'll track your progress and hope the best.
^ truth spoken here.

Originally Posted by Patrick LowKey
OOOOOoooooo!!!!! they make it look so cheap and easy to do!!!!! hmmmmmm...
A new Honeywell-Garrett TO4E turbocharger can be sourced for less than $400. Note the TO4E lacks an integral wastegate as required for optimal off-boost response. It’s best to avoid that model if at all possible. Garrett’s U.S. engineering headquarters is a stone’s throw from here. An acquaintance works there if you’d care for more technical insight regarding an appropriate turbocharger.

Originally Posted by Patrick LowKey
..i have to bookmark that link.
That eBay vendor has thrown in questionable hoses, tubing, HE, a fan, and some fittings to make it seem a good deal. Don’t be misled.

Trust you’ve read the fine print:
Not all parts are bolt-on. Other parts you need [are] turbo manifold, boost controller, turbo timer, and engine/fuel management system. Professional installation is highly recommended (No Instructions Included)!!
Passing CARB’s SCAQMD tailpipe certification is duck soup. The requisite visual inspection might be a bit more challenging. It’s entirely realistic one ought to budget at least $4000 for a properly engineered M271 or M272 turbocharger upgrade and its installation labor – not including tuning - on an otherwise healthy longblock.

A mildly tweaked AMG will still show it the quick way around.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I would never buy that half *** Mickey Mouse turbo kit
Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah your whole setup would have to be custom. Any progress on this karo?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Couple of parts I bought. Saving up to buy the rest all at once.

I got a GT35 but I might return it. I don't think I will ever boost the car that high but i'm not sure about that. I heard for longetivity bigger turbo is good because your car while cruising isn't on constant boost. We'll see what happens. 7psi is what I am aiming but I think I will be shy of the 400whp mark.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
this is what I got recently

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIAL-...Q5fAccessories

Next is the intercooler (Garrett)

Then the plumbing (got a buddy own exhaust shop)

Then decide get the ecu tuned or go with a piggyback

Last edited by W203E35; 04-30-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well you should figure out the manifold and tuning though. Your biggest hurdle is the tuning. The rest is going to be easy. I wouldn't spend anymore money on parts until you figure out whose going to tune your car.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
well you should figure out the manifold and tuning though. Your biggest hurdle is the tuning. The rest is going to be easy. I wouldn't spend anymore money on parts until you figure out whose going to tune your car.
I was still debating for a front mount or rear. Rear seems a lot easier and no manifold needed but the idea seems too trashy for me.

Bad news is custom manifold is going to cost 3-4k.

I can't flip the originals because they are very huge. I don't know if I want to ruin a set of kleeman headers.

Pros of rear mount are it's cheap to do. I don't need manifold. The cons are that it might suck water, can't do twin, extra pipe under car, looks whack.

The only Cons of front mount is room and headers/downpipe and maybe hear issue and price.

Which again people saying trade car get different car makes sense but I still dont know lol
Old 04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Karo
I was still debating for a front mount or rear. Rear seems a lot easier and no manifold needed but the idea seems too trashy for me.

Bad news is custom manifold is going to cost 3-4k.

I can't flip the originals because they are very huge. I don't know if I want to ruin a set of kleeman headers.

Pros of rear mount are it's cheap to do. I don't need manifold. The cons are that it might suck water, can't do twin, extra pipe under car, looks whack.

The only Cons of front mount is room and headers/downpipe and maybe hear issue and price.

Which again people saying trade car get different car makes sense but I still dont know lol
The car already has high compression pistons in it. Just keep your costs low and do the rear mount turbo. The car will just feel stock until your in boost. Its not like the car is that slow in stock form anyways.

But yeah, you can just buy a used evo 8 for 15k and drop 2k in mods and have your 400whp very easily.

Since you wanna be a pioneer, you need to find your tuner. The car will run super lean while in boost.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by Karo
Couple of parts I bought. Saving up to buy the rest all at once.

I got a GT35 but I might return it. I don't think I will ever boost the car that high but i'm not sure about that. I heard for longetivity bigger turbo is good because your car while cruising isn't on constant boost. We'll see what happens. 7psi is what I am aiming but I think I will be shy of the 400whp mark.

GT35r will blow your engine up, you'll have to have a open wastegate at all times. 35r spools around 4grand and where does the c230 redline at? Don't forget a turbo timer.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 coupe
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
GT35r will blow your engine up, you'll have to have a open wastegate at all times. 35r spools around 4grand and where does the c230 redline at? Don't forget a turbo timer.
facepalm... rear mount has lower spools rpm
Old 05-02-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by XsuperbeeX

Ok, keep facepalming. We'll see how much the turbo being mounted in the rear affects when the turbo fully spools.

Psst- It doesn't, size of the case and turbine wheel does
Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
The car already has high compression pistons in it. Just keep your costs low and do the rear mount turbo. The car will just feel stock until your in boost. Its not like the car is that slow in stock form anyways.

But yeah, you can just buy a used evo 8 for 15k and drop 2k in mods and have your 400whp very easily.

Since you wanna be a pioneer, you need to find your tuner. The car will run super lean while in boost.

High compression pistons are BAAAAD when combined with a turbo. You have it twisted around you need lower compression pistons for boost.

And if you need a EVO hola at me, Karo you know about me and EVO's. A 2004 EVO 8 or 2005 8 with the ACD t/c you can but a Turbo back exhaust(tbe), a walboro 255, more aggresive cams like 264 or 272 or 280, and then a lower and upper intercooler pipes and a EVO 9 bov and then a tune you can see like 380WHP. I'd know
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
High compression pistons are BAAAAD when combined with a turbo. You have it twisted around you need lower compression pistons for boost.

And if you need a EVO hola at me, Karo you know about me and EVO's. A 2004 EVO 8 or 2005 8 with the ACD t/c you can but a Turbo back exhaust(tbe), a walboro 255, more aggresive cams like 264 or 272 or 280, and then a lower and upper intercooler pipes and a EVO 9 bov and then a tune you can see like 380WHP. I'd know
you can turbo a high compression engine, its just more difficult to tune. Hence why i said you need a good tuner. Anyone thats turboed a honda knows its possible to turbo a high compression engine. The s2k guys are putting down 400whp on stock block and 11:1 compression.

Yes its easier to have lower compression and higher boost vs high compression and less boost, but then he would need to speed probably another 5k on custom pistons, rods..etc.

We're trying to do this on a budget or it would be cheaper for him just to get a c55 or even a e55 now.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
you can turbo a high compression engine, its just more difficult to tune. Hence why i said you need a good tuner. Anyone thats turboed a honda knows its possible to turbo a high compression engine. The s2k guys are putting down 400whp on stock block and 11:1 compression.

Yes its easier to have lower compression and higher boost vs high compression and less boost, but then he would need to speed probably another 5k on custom pistons, rods..etc.

We're trying to do this on a budget or it would be cheaper for him just to get a c55 or even a e55 now.

Yeah turboing out a w203 you'd be in atleast 5grand in parts plus the cost of installing and having it tuned. That's if the stock ecu can handle that. Yeah those honda motors are much higher compression because they really do rev to the sky.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by XsuperbeeX
Source?
Certainly you understand the physics and thermodynamics involved with energizing a turbocharger’s turbine, yes?

From Squires Turbo Systems FAQ, a preeminent manufacturer serving the remotely-mounted turbocharger market:

If you look at any of the physics laws for gasses, you will find that pressure and volume and heat are related. PV=NRT is a popular one, The V isn't for velocity, it is for Volume.

The turbine housing is what creates the velocity. The scrolling design that reduces the volume of the exhaust chamber as it scrolls around causes the gasses to have to increase in velocity and pressure to maintain the same flow rate.

Hotter gasses have more volume, thus requiring a higher A/R which in effect means that it starts at say 3" and scrolls down to approximately 1". Lower temperature gasses are denser and have less volume, so they require a lower A/R housing which would start at the same 3" volume, as the turbine housings use standard flanges, and scroll down to say 3/4".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M272 Turbo is going to go down