C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

NYC - Tint and Alarm Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C320 4Matic
Question NYC - Tint and Alarm Recommendations?

[SIZE=large]NYC - Tint and Alarm Recommendations?[/SIZE]

Hey, all.

Lots of great activity and information on this forum. Glad to now be a part of it.

I have seen much good discussion about alarm recommendations based on 2nd hand info and tints installed. I am looking for 1st hand experiences with your own actual installed items.

Can any of you guys discuss:

1. What aftermarket alarm you have in addition to the factory security system?

2. The ability of your aftermarket alarm to work with the factory security system and the other electrical features of te Mercedes.

3. Type of tint installed and any tint scratch problems with the door panel edge against the window glass.

4. Recommended installers of tint and aftermarket alarms for MB cars in NYC/Long Island.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:10 PM

2003 C320 4Matic
If you would prefer...

If you would prefer...

You can tell me your experience with these via email (lifeofgood@yahoo.com) or by PMing me.

I do appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:51 AM

'03 C230K
Question alarm system

Just wondered why the factory Alarm is not good enough, or what else it is you want it to do?

2003 C230K Magma, C7, 6 spd.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:52 AM

2003 C320 4Matic
Re: alarm system

Originally posted by 230KBenz
Just wondered why the factory Alarm is not good enough, or what else it is you want it to do?

2003 C230K Magma, C7, 6 spd.
I've seen debates on whether there was actually a tow sensor and glass break detector on the stock system. If so, great. The aftermarket system would double up detection those things and also add other detection.

From what I've seen, most factory systems just detect when you've remote locked/alarmed the car and if you manage to open the door without remote unlocking or physically pressing the power unlock button inside, then the alarm will sound. The immobilzer comes from your Smartkey and only keeps the car from starting.

The aftermarket alarm would add provide 1> Add'l protection from someone who knows how to disable the stock alarm (since all installs are identical), 2> Add'l 2 points of immobilizing the car (starter & fuel), 3> impact (glass/bump) and vibration (drilling) detection, 4> motion/tow sensor (jack), 5> carjack immobilzer, 6> additional siren, and 7> etc. It would also add some amount for insurance deductable coverage in the event the car was stolen.

I am sure that the MB stock alarm has it's merits, but it is after all in every MB car. It's known and predictable.

I hope this makes a worthwhile point to anyone wondering why a supplemental system and other security items are a good idea.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I would move if I lived in an area with so much car theft that I needed that much protection.

The factory alarm does have a tow sensor, but I'm not sure about a glass breakage sensor. It does appear to have an impact sensor for if the car is bumped, but it isn't real sensitive. I have set it off on some MB's before though. And I have seen some of them go off in storms if the wind is heavy enough.

As for immobilizing, why do you need more than the factory alarm for this. The car cannot be started and I imagine it would be tough to get around it. I know that it cuts fuel already, but I'm not sure how much else it does. I know it won't allow the starter to start the car, but I don't know how much it disables the starter.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:00 PM

2003 C320 4Matic
Originally posted by Matt230K
I would move if I lived in an area with so much car theft that I needed that much protection.

The factory alarm does have a tow sensor, but I'm not sure about a glass breakage sensor. It does appear to have an impact sensor for if the car is bumped, but it isn't real sensitive. I have set it off on some MB's before though. And I have seen some of them go off in storms if the wind is heavy enough.

As for immobilizing, why do you need more than the factory alarm for this. The car cannot be started and I imagine it would be tough to get around it. I know that it cuts fuel already, but I'm not sure how much else it does. I know it won't allow the starter to start the car, but I don't know how much it disables the starter.
Mainly, I have seen theives of the professional variety, target specific types of cars and be able to defeat factory systems very simply because they know the car and the way the factory system is wired. My experience has shown that the factory alarm is a nicety, but certainly not something to bank on.

For that, I'll spend the $300-$500 on an additional layer of protection.

Bottom line... if they want your car, they'll get your car. I just am not the type to make it easy. As such, I seek those who have installed a system successfully.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:29 PM

'03 C230K
Well i guess thats all nice to have, but if someone wants your car that bad they will get it no matter what alarm system you have.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:44 PM

2003 C320 4Matic
Originally posted by 230KBenz
Well i guess thats all nice to have, but if someone wants your car that bad they will get it no matter what alarm system you have.
I absolutely agree with that.