C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Meguiars Gold Class Leather foam or wipes or Zaino?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 4matic
Meguiars Gold Class Leather foam or wipes or Zaino?

Ok, I bought a 2006 c280 4matic and would like to clean up the interior.

I was thinking on using the Cabin Care Product that MB is selling for the dash:
http://accessories.mbusa.com/Automotive/CABIN+CARE.axd

However, what do I use for the leather seats.
I read people using Megs Gold Class Leather wipes but no real review as of yet? Does it work well on our specific car?
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10900

I also called the Merc Dealer and they have some discontinued Leather Foam in stock for 20$.
Since I heard MB uses Megs, is perhaps a Megs Gold Class Leather FOAM the right thing to use instead of Wipes?

Any and all experiences for cleaning leather are welcome

Thanks

Ps. I also heard great things about Zaino z9 and z10 products but also one horror story where the guy was left with white residue all over!!! Since I am not handy at all I really don't want that to happen to me and would rather use something fool proof yet effective!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I have used Megs. GC Leather cleaner/conditioner cream on my leather from day one and it is as new & does not shine!!! looks original including the steering wheel. If it gets really dirty clean with a mild detergeant & water. Do not soak. Dry off with terry towel - apply Megs. Zero residue in perforations. If anything does build up in perforations use dedicated soft womans hair brush to remove.

If you are ever unlucky enough to damage the leather so that the colour comes off there are fabulous new water based products from Gliptone Leather Care Ltd in the UK that will fix it up like new & are dead easy to DIY. They will send worldwide & match any colour. They have all the standard Benz colours & a few exotics anyway. Much better than the crap from Connolly!

Approaching 7 years old! Alpacca grey

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-09-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I use Leatherique on all my leather goods !
Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
You should use a separate leather cleaner and conditioner. I like Lexol’s Leather Cleaner & Lexol's Leather Conditioner. Lexol's are spray on so no worries about cream accumulation in leather perforations. I generally use Lexol's once every few months.

And I use Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Spray about twice a month. The spray is better value than wipe on,... and more of it get onto the leather.

BTW, I'm looking at Glyn_M_Ruck's photos of his leather seat and wondering "Man, don't anyone ever sit or in your car?!?!?". How does his keep them in such brand new showroom condition? The seat area of the leather seat doesn't even have those usual "dents" that are so common in North American version of our C-class with leather seats. I guess they don't have as many McDonald's and Krispy Kreme donuts in South Africa.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
I use the meg spray too..pretty good
Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Damn Glyn, your leather looks fantastic, like it just rolled off the assembly line in Germany Nice job on upkeep

To the OP, there are so many detailing products out there, especially for leather, it is astonishing. Might as well use the Meguiars, as it is readily available, and Glyn is proof it works!

I don't have leather in my car other than the steering wheel and shift boot, and I use 1Z Einszett Leather Care on those with good results.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
You should use a separate leather cleaner and conditioner. I like Lexol’s Leather Cleaner & Lexol's Leather Conditioner. Lexol's are spray on so no worries about cream accumulation in leather perforations. I generally use Lexol's once every few months.

And I use Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Spray about twice a month. The spray is better value than wipe on,... and more of it get onto the leather.

BTW, I'm looking at Glyn_M_Ruck's photos of his leather seat and wondering "Man, don't anyone ever sit or in your car?!?!?". How does his keep them in such brand new showroom condition? The seat area of the leather seat doesn't even have those usual "dents" that are so common in North American version of our C-class with leather seats. I guess they don't have as many McDonald's and Krispy Kreme donuts in South Africa.
Plenty of McDonald's - No Krispy Kreme donut's - Lot's of Biltong or what you call Jerky The difference is South African leather. We provide about 50% of Benz global leather requirement - similar for BMW. SA leather is a lot better than some around. Lots of contented cows here! I have brand new Connolly in my Jag. It's lovely but I'm sorry I could not get a SA unpholstery kit for the Jag. All SA built Mercs use local leather as do BMW's. Most of the export stuff goes into the top models & AMG's. If you order an SA built 204 in the US you will get our leather. My car is garaged & well maintained but not babied. The seats get sat on - no kids feet & shoes allowed on the seats or dirty clothing. Feet & shoes belong on the genuine MB floor mats. I like the airy feel the light grey gives the car but you need to have some rules or you will spend your life cleaning it. You have probably seen very few rouched door panels in the US with your love of MBTex.

BTW - SA soon chucked out the German foam in the seats because it used to go flat - That's local as well.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-09-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

The seat area of the leather seat doesn't even have those usual "dents" that are so common in North American version of our C-class with leather seats. I guess they don't have as many McDonald's and Krispy Kreme donuts in South Africa.
I'm allowed to say this because I am of stout build!

Aside from local foam in our seats - We don't have as many large butts as the US either
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I'm allowed to say this because I am of stout build!

You know, I had to look up "stout build",.... and here's what I found,...

"Stout is a term describing a female's body. It is not used negatively, but is a trait that is actually sought after. It can be used like the words fine, sexy, or most accuratly thick. It is most commonly used to define a female who has a big booty and big breasts. It can also be used to describe the size of a woman's butt or breasts, as in "she's stout in the front but not in the back." The word stout is also used by some people to describe the general sex-appeal of a female, but that usage is inaccurate. Stout usually refers to only those certain body parts (breasts and or butt)."
"Only to be used when referring to females."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stout

Glyn,.... is there something you would like to share with us,.... sir??? GULP!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I was at the local auto store and I saw something new on the shelf called Auto Glym. It didn't look fancy but it said made in Britain so I bought it. It works great, I have tried many brands and none cleaned like Auto Glym.

Anyone ever used Auto Glym? No joke my interior looked like Glyn's interior..plus the name Glym is similar to Glyn so it has to be WIN

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/default.asp
Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

You know, I had to look up "stout build",.... and here's what I found,...

"Stout is a term describing a female's body. It is not used negatively, but is a trait that is actually sought after. It can be used like the words fine, sexy, or most accuratly thick. It is most commonly used to define a female who has a big booty and big breasts. It can also be used to describe the size of a woman's butt or breasts, as in "she's stout in the front but not in the back." The word stout is also used by some people to describe the general sex-appeal of a female, but that usage is inaccurate. Stout usually refers to only those certain body parts (breasts and or butt)."
"Only to be used when referring to females."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stout

Glyn,.... is there something you would like to share with us,.... sir??? GULP!
Nah! - the North Americans do torture the language so! Please use the Oxford dictionary to define all of my terminology other than when I conform to norms of the forum for the sake of understanding e.g. hood = bonnet & trunk = boot. I was educated to speak & write English.

For "stout" read "rotund" or similar.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Karo
I was at the local auto store and I saw something new on the shelf called Auto Glym. It didn't look fancy but it said made in Britain so I bought it. It works great, I have tried many brands and none cleaned like Auto Glym.

Anyone ever used Auto Glym? No joke my interior looked like Glyn's interior..plus the name Glym is similar to Glyn so it has to be WIN

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/default.asp
Auto Glym products are outstanding & recommended by the likes of Aston Martin & Rolls Royce.

The entire classic car industry of the UK survives on Auto Glym. A friend of mine, Geoff Osborne is head of the Motor Industries Federation of SA & the importer to this country. You can't go wrong with their products.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-10-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM

C280 4matic
i want some of that SA leather Glyn that is just amazing ! I bought some MB foam as well as Megs Gold Class wipes and I'll let you know how it goes next week !
Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by C43AMG
I use Leatherique on all my leather goods !
Just finished my bottle of Gold Class and ordered some Leatherique. Heard nothing but good things
Old 07-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Nah! - the North Americans do torture the language so! Please use the Oxford dictionary to define all of my terminology other than when I conform to norms of the forum for the sake of understanding e.g. hood = bonnet & trunk = boot. I was educated to speak & write English.

For "stout" read "rotund" or similar.
Sorry, but when I see or here the word "rotund", all I can think about is the woman that accused Al Gore of assaulting her, then I hear "crazy sex poodle"
Old 07-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
I had used the Meguiars GC spray before, but after reading this I decided to pop by the local Auto-Zone and see if they had the cream Glyn talked about.

I am not sure if I got the same thing, but they had what looks more like a clear gel in a pump bottle. I have the light interior in mine and knew it was getting more of a brown ting to it. Easy to use and it really cleaned well!

The only problem is I have this one panel on the passenger seat that is super clean looking, and I don't have time to finish the rest of the front today...unless I skip the "Sunday afternoon nap."
Old 07-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

This is the product I use. White cream that leaves no residue.

Attached Thumbnails Meguiars Gold Class Leather foam or wipes or Zaino?-maquiar-s.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by johnand
Sorry, but when I see or here the word "rotund", all I can think about is the woman that accused Al Gore of assaulting her, then I hear "crazy sex poodle"

Al Gore & I are similarly "rotund" or "stout"

How many choc chip cookies does he eat per day?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 PM

2007 W203 SS
Originally Posted by edin555
Ok, I bought a 2006 c280 4matic and would like to clean up the interior.

I was thinking on using the Cabin Care Product that MB is selling for the dash:
http://accessories.mbusa.com/Automotive/CABIN+CARE.axd

However, what do I use for the leather seats.
I read people using Megs Gold Class Leather wipes but no real review as of yet? Does it work well on our specific car?
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10900

I also called the Merc Dealer and they have some discontinued Leather Foam in stock for 20$.
Since I heard MB uses Megs, is perhaps a Megs Gold Class Leather FOAM the right thing to use instead of Wipes?

Any and all experiences for cleaning leather are welcome

Thanks

Ps. I also heard great things about Zaino z9 and z10 products but also one horror story where the guy was left with white residue all over!!! Since I am not handy at all I really don't want that to happen to me and would rather use something fool proof yet effective!
It sounds to me like he used waaaay too much. I've been using Zaino products for many years now after trial and error with so many other brands. With the proper useage/application, I would bet it against any other top notch brands. Be careful though, once you start their products, they do become addicting.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Ive used Meguiars GC cream on my gf car and I use the spray on mine. I've used Auto Glym as well and it works really good. I sometimes used the stuff at my friends dads paint & body shop. They use some mix in a bottle that I dont know what it is but it works awesome. I need to ask him what it is, cleans great and it doesnt leave the leather shiny. I say just try different ones until you find one you like.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
This is the Meguiars GC Leather Cleaner I picked up over the weekend. Instead of the cream it is more of a clear gel in a pump bottle, but seems to work great. The interior is now much cleaner and it was pretty easy also. It does not seem to leave the leather shiny either.
Attached Thumbnails Meguiars Gold Class Leather foam or wipes or Zaino?-meguiars1.jpg   Meguiars Gold Class Leather foam or wipes or Zaino?-meguiars2.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks - I'll keep my eyes open for it hitting our shores & give it a try.