C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

rear window sun shade (stuck up)

Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor sport
Question rear window sun shade (stuck up)

OK I searched all the threads and found nothing, so if I am repeating a question sorry.
That said, as the thread title says, my stinkin' rear sun shade is stuck in the up position and at this point I would like to just get it down (without a knife).. Anyone had this problem that can give me a little direction?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 PM

05 C230 Sports Sedan, Previously owned an 02 C230 Sports Coupe
This is my old post

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-sunshade.html

I still haven't tackled fixing the problem. It's been in the up position for a very long time now...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I rarely use mine but often when I do it sticks either up or partway up. You can jiggle the shade, push, pull etc. while the button is pushed and it will catch and close all the way eventually. I understand the fix is remove, clean out the caked on lube, and re-lube the mechanism.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:05 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor sport
Ok, Underwhirled, I read your thread and 1200$ at the stealership, dang!! I think I have another solution that I am gonna try. I noticed that I can access the motor from the trunk if I lay on my back. also you can see the two wires going to the motor, soooo. I'm a gonna put some 12vlts to it one way then the other and see if I can get it going that way. Oh after removing the fuze
we shall see.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:38 AM

05 C230 Sports Sedan, Previously owned an 02 C230 Sports Coupe
Here is the link from the DIY sticky at the beginning of the forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...t-working.html

Here you can see what others have gone through.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM

2009 Manual C300 Sport
Good stuff. Subscribing!

Mine is stuck in the down position. Currently without a garage, would like to keep it up to keep the inside cooler during the summer!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM

C240
Mine was stuck up but I used the silicone lubricant or whatever and now it moves freely.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:14 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Rvp, where did you apply the lubricant? Mine is stuck but if I give it a push it will go down.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 AM

05 c230k
Had the same problem as the OP. First you want to hop in the rear middle seat. Press the shade button. ( mine clicked and the two arms twitched). Use your hands to "guide" the arms down.(don't use a ton of force or you'll f'up the motor or the arm itself). At the same time press the shade button with your toe (or get a someone to do it for you). That should fix your problem.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG
I'll do my best to explain the fix for this problem. (At least for me) When the shade gets stuck in the up position it's most likely the electric motor axle shaft has loosened out of it's stayed or fixed position. If your inclined enough to remove it and take apart the electric motor, you can fix it yourself. It's a bit of a trick to take the motor apart and put it back together, however it's easier than taking the whole shade unit out when the shade fully extended! The motor has a screw gear that presses the motor axle shaft either inward or outward (up or down). When the shade is going up it presses inward and pushes out the motor axle shaft place holder. That's why you can see it really coming out of the bottom of the motor in some cases, like 1/2" or more. (it normally sticks out about 1/4" anyway) You can't hammer it back and expect it to stay, it will just come loose again and you don't want to break the gear it's connected to or your done. Once the motor is apart you look at the top axle shaft bearing and look just under it you can see the shaft place holder. A metal peace that is supposed to be permanently affixed in place to the housing. It is supposed to be placed in the circular hole groove that holds it in place. However, if you look close at the very small punch tabs around the holder, they come loose. All you have to do is push the holder back in place and get a steel punch (flat tip), like a 2mm size or so, and punch the edges back again to hold the recessed holder it in place. But, just do it better than the factory did it. And that's it. It should good for life if you did a good job. Then just put it all back together in reverse order. The only trick is you have to put the top of the motor housing together first, where you did the punch fix. Then you have to put the bottom of the motor back on. The problem is the brushes are sprung closed so you can't put the shaft back though the bottom side without the brushes moved aside out of the way. To solve this you have to push the brushes all the way out just enough to clear the shaft and stator plates and they will hook open, barely, and stay that way until assembly. It's like a mouse trap though, one wrong move and they spring back before you can finish pushing the bottom back on. So, you have to be real careful and you can do it. But, then you ask, the bushes are not fitted to the motor if they are pushed out! Once your bottom side is installed correctly, you take small hammer and shock each side with quick taps and the brushes will un-lodge and will be set in correct position on the shaft making proper contact. Just make sure you test motor operation with 12v battery before installing it on the gear mechanism. Then your all set!
The following users liked this post:
BrokenBarryBenz (08-20-2020)
Old 12-30-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E320
If you just want your rear shade down:

People with rear shade stuck in the up position: I have a 2004 E320 with the same issue. I was looking through all the blogs and $1100 - $1700 US is way too much to pay for a cheap part on an expensive car.

Pull on the shade away from the window and the whole mechanism is visible. The motor is dead center. The shaft is pushed out, looks like a small pin sticking out. Start the car, have some intermittently push the shade switch and with one hand on the shade pushing down and the other pushing directly on the motor shaft. The shade starts to come down. It may take a few pushes to get it all the way down!

If you still don’t see it I can take pictures.
The following users liked this post:
tiderfish (11-28-2022)
Old 01-21-2017, 02:00 PM

CL500 W215
rear window sun shade

Hi , can You tell me how removed rear sun shade in Mercedes W215 CL ?
I have motor broken. 12V is incoming to the motor but it's not working.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:07 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor Coupe
Hey there,

Not sure if this will help, but my sunshade was stuck on my 2002 C230 Kompressor since purchasing it used. I tried resetting it several times with no success. It worked for a while after getting it back from the MB dealership, and also after I removed the battery. After being puzzled at why this was happening I looked up stuff online. One thread on here suggested removing the #9 fuse for a few minutes and then putting it back (it’s located in the trunk on my model) and what do you know, works like new.