C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2004 C240 4-Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
front sway bar bushings are usually the issue for front squeaks followed by tire rod ends.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
12 E350 4Matic Sport
Thank you samaritrey! I will get it checked out shortly.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Just realized I've been using the wrong thread this entire time. From now on all my questions/pictures/etc will be posted in this thread and this thread only. After searching around it is evident that the most efficient thing to do on the forums is to keep one single thread for your car and log anything you will/have done to it.

So two simple (apparently not for me) subjects that I was hoping someone could help me with...

1.) I just ran the Climatronic diagnostic test (as per this link, https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...imatronic.html). The the two lights started flashing back and forth between each other while the fans started blowing from all sorts of directions, it sounded like a whirwind in there. Well I let it run 20 minutes before I decided to shut it off. Did I do something wrong or does my Climatronic need repair? P.S. I ran the diagnostic test without the engine on, just key turned all the way to the right.

2.) What kind of foglights bulbs would you guys recommend to get to match my bi-xenons with AZN Optics city-lights (5000k)? Do I need to replace the entire foglight unit or can I just replace the bulb when it comes to this? I also need to figure out how to replace the bulbs in the side-markers then eventually will do the license plate as well.

Thanks to anyone who can chime in on this.

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-04-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Grammar errors.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:36 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Question 1 was answered in another thread that I'm trying to let sink to the bottom as I would like to use this one for any mods/history of the car, etc.

So I'm still trying to find out what I can do with my stock foglights to match them up with my bi-xenon and white 5000k city lights from AZN Optics.

Also as mentioned in the other thread, some chick rear ended me yesterday (never thought I'd be happy about that) so I'll be getting a new paint job on that back bumper real soon, as well as finally getting that tow cap cover fixed

Just ordered a new air filter (MANN) as well after finding out the one in there is old as dirt and plain filthy.

Still waiting to install the new fuel filter, flat emblem, and waiting for the city lights, and of course the new air filter.

Man, this is gonna take a while...
Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Guys. I just went to MB and asked for power steering fluid.

The guy gave me HYDRAULIC FLUID...is this the right stuff?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Hydraulic Fluid is correct. What was the part number (listed on the bottle)?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:50 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by pcy
Hydraulic Fluid is correct. What was the part number (listed on the bottle)?
I decided to call MB parts to make sure it was the right stuff before pouring it in my car.....turns out they gave me the WRONG fluid! There are two kinds and 2004 was the year when they began using diff fluids for newer cars. Apparently my baby can take both but there was a different fluid recommended.

So I got the stuff exchanged (and got about 75% of the price discounted back to my card) - guess it worked out in the end.

I asked one of the service guys about the transmission and no doubt, the tranny oil and filter DOES have to be changed every 40k miles!

So I'm on the hunt for the proper fluid and filter as we speak.

This OEM Genuine Mercedes Benz fluid looks like the stuff, but how many bottles do I need?
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ission%20Fluid

I also need to change my front *brake pads, not rotors* as they (last night) crapped the bed suddenly after we had a lot of rain the past 2 days. Everytime I hit the brakes it sounds like they are scraping against the rotors.

The strange thing is, the car never said I had brake pad wear - I thought it had a sensor for that?

Anyway, what do you think about the following brake pad sets:

1.) http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ke%20Pad%20Set

2.) http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Brakes\%2C+Suspension+%2 6+Steering,wpn_cat_name:Brake+Discs\%2C+Pads+%26+C alipers,wpn_scat_name:Brake+Pads+%26+Components,pa rt:Brake+Pad+Set%29

Are any of them good for my MB? Or do I need to get em straight from the dealer

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-06-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

About the Trans fluid - if you are dropping the pan only, then expect to drain about 4 quarts (around 3.75 qts). Buy the 'trans filter kit' from Autohaus. They usually have it for around $15. That kit comes with the trans filter and a new pan gasket. Get a seal for the drain plug. Get 4 qts of new (MB) trans fluid. That's around $15 per qt at RMeuropean.

About the brake noise, before ordering a new set of brake pads, jack up the front wheel(s), remove the front wheel(s) and visually check the condition of the pads.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by pcy
About the Trans fluid - if you are dropping the pan only, then expect to drain about 4 quarts (around 3.75 qts). Buy the 'trans filter kit' from Autohaus. They usually have it for around $15. That kit comes with the trans filter and a new pan gasket. Get a seal for the drain plug. Get 4 qts of new (MB) trans fluid. That's around $15 per qt at RMeuropean.

About the brake noise, before ordering a new set of brake pads, jack up the front wheel(s), remove the front wheel(s) and visually check the condition of the pads.
Thanks for your continuous support and advice pcy, I really appreciate it. Trans flush items will be ordered later today!

I will be removing the wheels later as well to see where the situation with the brakes stand.

For now, I decided to take a pic of the top part of the left rotor. From the looks of it, I think I will need rotors, not pads. The pads (from what I could tell) still have about 1-2cm of pad on them.

Let me know what you think about the rotors, here is the pic. Looks like the pads have been scraping the rotors with freakin nail..
Attached Thumbnails 2004 C240 4-Matic-p1000137.jpg  

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-06-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:44 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you are going to go thru the process of removing the caliper, and replace the rotors, I suggest you to go ahead and replace the pads as well (eventhough 1-2cm of brake pad material is still left). This way, you won't have to worry about brakes for a while.

When you put in new set of rotors and pads, go thru the 'bedding in' process.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by pcy
If you are going to go thru the process of removing the caliper, and replace the rotors, I suggest you to go ahead and replace the pads as well (eventhough 1-2cm of brake pad material is still left). This way, you won't have to worry about brakes for a while.

When you put in new set of rotors and pads, go thru the 'bedding in' process.
Gotcha, makes sense.

By the look of the rotor pictured in the photo above - can you tell it (both left and right rotors of course) need to be replaced?

And I'm assuming the best thing for me to do is go with OEM rotors/pads since the ones in the back are also OEM and were replaced recently.

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-06-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
For transmission use Genuine Benz fluid or Fuchs Titan 4134 - It's approved.

Your rotors do not look badly worn but show some very peculiar pickup of some sort. I would toss them. A new OEM set is a better option than having them machined.

Genuine pads work really well if you can stand the dust. Otherwise fit Akebono's
Old 11-06-2010, 02:14 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
For transmission use Genuine Benz fluid or Fuchs Titan 4134 - It's approved.

Your rotors do not look badly worn but show some very peculiar pickup of some sort. I would toss them. A new OEM set is a better option than having them machined.

Genuine pads work really well if you can stand the dust. Otherwise fit Akebono's
Gotcha - thanks for chiming in!

I'm trying to take a look at the pads in the rear and am having trouble removing the caliper. The two screws in the back take a 16mm but the only ones I have in my set that are close are 15mm and 17mm - can you believe it?

The one nut I need is the only one missing from the set...

And I can't access the pads unless I remove the caliper...or am I wrong about this? Sorry for the newbness, feel free to flame.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:38 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Ran out to NAPA and got the nut...now I need to find some kind of diagram on DIY rear brakes.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 c240
For the rear pads you dont need to remove the caliper. I believe its just a metal pin that holds in a metal tab that holds the pads in place. Once those are removed the pads can slide out.

edit: yours is 4matic so maybe im wrong, it could be different

Last edited by fookoo303; 11-06-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You need to remove 23

Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by fookoo303
For the rear pads you dont need to remove the caliper. I believe its just a metal pin that holds in a metal tab that holds the pads in place. Once those are removed the pads can slide out.

edit: yours is 4matic so maybe im wrong, it could be different
You're absolutely right. But I ended up taking the entire caliper off anyway so I can apply some Brake Kleen to the components, but I did see the pin you are referring to and it looks to make perfect sense. I'll keep it in mind next time.

Rear pads still have plenty of pad material on them, so those are fine.

Now the whole reason behind me checking the pads is because I was hearing/feeling something very abnormal from the FRONT brakes after a 2-day rain shower here. Sounded like they were scraping against the rotor and could barely make contact with it every time I hit the brakes.

This problem went away after about a 2-3 minute drive and me playing with the brakes. I guess they were just wet and needed to dry, phew.

Anyway I'm still taking her to Meineke first thing tomorrow to get a brake inspection. Gotta be sure.

Glyn: Thank you for posting the diagram!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
So who is familiar with that low-volume rumble/vibration when driving between 50mph and 70mph?

I pray to everything holy that I'm not having the same problem as this guy: (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-50-70mph.html).

I must say, I am having very similar symptoms, but ONLY when driving between 50mph-70mph. Lol. Looks like I'm shat out of luck.

Anyone who can confirm this please do, as I do not feel like wasting any more money on this thing.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-07-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Oh, I ran the Climatronic diagnostic test with the engine on and same thing happened, the fans just kept blowing and blowing...for about 10 minutes, until I decided to shut the engine off. So that means one or more of my stepper motors is gone and need replacing?

There goes another couple hundred dollars.

I'm starting to debate whether this car is really worth all the extra costs for repairs. I say nay.

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-07-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Crna Mechka
So who is familiar with that low-volume rumble/vibration when driving between 50mph and 70mph?

I pray to everything holy that I'm not having the same problem as this guy: (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-50-70mph.html).

I must say, I am having very similar symptoms, but ONLY when driving between 50mph-70mph. Lol. Looks like I'm shat out of luck.

Anyone who can confirm this please do, as I do not feel like wasting any more money on this thing.

Thanks in advance.
Just did some searching around...was wondering if anyone ever heard of a Harmonic Balancer Recall for the W203's?

See this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...on-60-mph.html

And I want to just highlight two posts made by members thaiq, and Skylaw (hope they don't mind me quoting them, TIA fellas).

Originally Posted by thaiq
The problem is the "harmonic balancer" or the "belt tensioner" or it could be both. Both of these are part of the belt assembly in front of the engine. The harmonic balancer is like a belt but with two metal parts sandwich a middle rubber part and the belt tensioner could be loose (actually it was a faulty part originally and needs to be replaced). Unfortunately, MB does not cover them after the warranty period. It cost me $600 for the harmonic balancer and $450 for the belt tensioner. Hope this help.
Originally Posted by Skylaw
MB has an active recall on the harmonic balancer problem; you can be reimbursed for your repair, and they do cover it out of warranty.

A "wobble" such as described could also be a bent wheel.
Not exactly for a W203, but exactly what I'm experiencing. As you can see, the cost of repairs could run up to $1k USD. Definitely not something I would want to invest in so hopefully MBUSA covers this.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated gentlemen.

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-07-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by Crna Mechka
Oh, I ran the Climatronic diagnostic test with the engine on and same thing happened, the fans just kept blowing and blowing...for about 10 minutes, until I decided to shut the engine off. So that means one or more of my stepper motors is gone and need replacing?

There goes another couple hundred dollars.

I'm starting to debate whether this car is really worth all the extra costs for repairs. I say nay.
Why would the fan matter at all in the diag/resync test of the stepper motors? Unless you mean that the air never moved from a vent to another or something
Old 11-07-2010, 11:39 AM

C240
The pulsing/ticking/etc is most likely a noisy purge valve. Common, not something to worry about.

Squeaking is most likely bushings. It's outside of your car and you can't hear it well if you stand outside, but inside, it's not easy to miss when going over bumps. It's also a common part to go.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Why would the fan matter at all in the diag/resync test of the stepper motors? Unless you mean that the air never moved from a vent to another or something
That's just what I am assuming, I got that interpretation from the thread 'Climatronic Diagnostic Test Easter Egg' - someone said that if the diag/resync test doesnt stop itself and just keeps going that something is wrong. Maybe I misinterpreted the post.

All the fans definitely did blow and I didn't hear anything that sounded 'off' - once in a while there was a tick and/or quick squeeling sound but nothing major. I also noticed that when I turn the climate on that my engine begins to have a pulse where it revs itself a little bit every 3-5 seconds or so.

I assume this is normal..

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-07-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by laneshift
The pulsing/ticking/etc is most likely a noisy purge valve. Common, not something to worry about.

Squeaking is most likely bushings. It's outside of your car and you can't hear it well if you stand outside, but inside, it's not easy to miss when going over bumps. It's also a common part to go.
When you said the pulsing/ticking/etc - you are referring to the Climatronic? If so then yeah I wasn't so bothered by the noises, it was just a quick tick here and there and once in a while (when starting up after turning off) a slight squeeling sound. What I'm worried about is the fact that the diag/resync test never stopped, till I shut my engine off. I'm pretty sure its supposed to.

About the bushings, how hard would those be to replace? Would I need to get the car on a lift or could a couple of jackstands with blocks do?

I'm assuming this is the part I'm looking for:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...0Arm%20Bushing

And should I replace the Tie Rod Ends as well? Someone had mentioned that those can begin to squeak over time.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ie%20Rod%20End

I would prefer to just spray them down with some WD40 - always does the job! (Kidding)

Last edited by Crna Mechka; 11-07-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM

2003 c240
the front bushings are the ones that usually go bad. i just recently replaced mine and the drive is so much smoother. If your pretty handy you can pull the control arms out yourself with the right tools, and bring it to carquest and have them press the new ones in for you. They did all 4 front control arm bushings for me for 25 bucks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 C240 4-Matic