C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

USA Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
USA Road Trip

Ok Guys it is 4am and i have been thinking all day about what I am going to do with my life. I am 20 years old did a year of college which I hated so much. now have worked at the geek squad for a year loving that but still don't know what i want to do for the rest of my life. After i graduated high school i always planned to load my car up and drive around the usa visiting family and seeing our beautiful county. Well obviously that never happened and now find myself wanting to do it again. I have very little responsibility's right know and am at a fork and don't know which way to go. I figure it is a perfect time to fulfill one of my longest wished dreams. I have come up with a very basic route as a starting point to figure how long i will be gone and how much it is going to cost me. (don't click the link if you have slow internet or slow computer it will die) http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...114.169922&z=4

Like i said this is very basic and takes me to where i have family, a sight i want to see or just where a mbworld member lives that i want to visit. I have always loved meeting new people and thought that i might be able to crash at some mbworld members homes and get to know our small community that much more. While on this trip i plan to take lots of pictures, create a daily blog documenting the trip, figure out what to do with my life, meet new people, see new things and enjoy life . Like i said this is in the early stages of planning but i figured i could ask you guys for ideas and guidance before i start this 10k mile voyage into the unknown.

And yes i plan to visit Matt , Karo , C230 Sport Coup, bdgdl08, and many more i am forgetting at 4am lol

I will keep you guys updated oh and btw when i tell my parents i will be living in my car so that might be fun

EDIT: If you guys didn't figure it out i will be taking my 01 c320 with 152k miles and counting so that will make it that much more fun.

Last edited by samaritrey; 11-22-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
What!!!!!!!!! Are you serious???? That's gonna be awesome, taking a road trip!!! If you get to Beverly Hills area you better let me know!!!!!!!!! You can definitely crash at my place. Well you can always come live in Los Angeles and work with me in the IT Consulting business(by the way I quit my job at the chocolate factory)
Old 11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Wow, that is pretty damn cool. I plan on a USA road trip sometime, but probably not until I retire. I see you have Vancouver, WA on your road trip, so hit me up via PM, so we can meet up when you are here. When do you plan on taking this trip?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
You'll never get a chance like this again probably until retirement, so take advantage of it while you can.

No idea why you'd go to Salt Lake unless you are a mormon, it's a terribly boring place (as is Phoenix). I would suggest stopping in New Orleans on your southern leg.

Of course, you can break this up by flying to a region, and getting a rental car instead. IMHO, this trip may be a little too long to want to complete once you've done a good portion of it, so make sure you're up for the challenge.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
^ +1

Take time to enjoy and learn what each place has to offer (that requires planning and research) rather than just drive to a location and move-on to the next...

Good Luck. If you come to NewEngland area, you can count on me if you need any help.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Like i said that was a very basic map and no where near what i will do i am sure. I plan to not take the interstate the whole time and there will be a lot more towns visited. I will do a lot of research on old tracks, car factories/areas, famous places to visit, beautiful places to visit and so on to help plan the trip. I plan to take at least 2 mouths do complete this maybe more and hopefully can do it this summer. I know that i will never have the chance ever again to do something this crazy so that is a big motivator for the trip. I would consider braking the trip up but i know that i would do part of it and never Finnish it because of school/work, family etc and it would drive me crazy.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 UFO
Originally Posted by Karo
You forgot to add Glyn

Don't beat yourself up. You're still young and there are many years ahead of you. As long as your are thinking about your future then I say you are on the right track. I use to have a buddy from college, this guy was a genius. He could have programmed anything but now he is home living with his mom and all he does is smoke weed and play video games all day long.

You have to sit down and think what are you good at and what would you like to do as a career and find something in the middle if not something very close to career.

You are obviously pretty good with computers. How is competition when it comes to PC Support/Repair in your area? Have you thought about becoming your own boss? Making home calls or even opening up a store? I know you are stressed now and want to get away but I think that money that you are going to spend on this road trip you can put towards building your foundation of life. Get established, get known and start making money (not as easy as it sounds but the concept is easy). You feel down? Go to social events and get to know people and next thing you know word gets out that you do PC Support or IT Consulting and you start getting business. Best advertising is Word of Mouth. A good entrapenour never gives up, when something is down another thing is up. If there is competition in your area then "specialize in something".

I do IT Consulting in general but when I see a client in the Entertainment Industry it becomes IT Consulting for Entertainment Companies. Then couple of hours later it turns into IT Consulting for Law Firms

Write a book on how to use a basic computer with your information and print it at kinkos and leave it around news stands. You'll be surprised how many people will call you

I wish you luck in whatever direction you decide to take in life but if you ever stumble we'll be here to help you back up
Cars can drive over an ocean?! Oh wait, it's a Mercedes.

True, you still have a long way ahead of you. Doesn't happen over night & it's not the same for anyone. Just be open to the possibilities, after all they are endless.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Like i said that was a very basic map and no where near what i will do i am sure. I plan to not take the interstate the whole time and there will be a lot more towns visited. I will do a lot of research on old tracks, car factories/areas, famous places to visit, beautiful places to visit and so on to help plan the trip. I plan to take at least 2 mouths do complete this maybe more and hopefully can do it this summer. I know that i will never have the chance ever again to do something this crazy so that is a big motivator for the trip. I would consider braking the trip up but i know that i would do part of it and never Finnish it because of school/work, family etc and it would drive me crazy.
I would be so down/up for the challenge for this especially if it's in the summer! Talk about a life time experience!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
First on your list, I see. Not sure you'll care to continue your journey after a night here. Alas, I jest, I jest.. my heart only beans.. I mean, beats.. for one.

It's about time you figured out a way to get some miles on the C320. I wish I could do such a trip but I really had rather fly in those instances (even though I do love my car).

Wherever you find yourself, you'll always have a place here.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 C320
Trey, I checked out your route, seems like you heading south, then west, then north, then east, then south again back home. IF you come across the Southeastern part of PA, let me know, stop on in, and have a few drinks! You'll have a place to crash too if you like. As for the trip, well, I may be able to give you some advice on planning it, figuring along the way where your stops are, gas stations, MB Dealers or Independents (in case something were to go wrong with the MB), but what fun would that be for someone to tell you how to take your trip! Anyways, let me know if you have any questions. Also, you going to be around this weekend? I'm going be down in McLean/Fairfax County on Thanksgiving through Saturday visiting family. I should have my car down there, but we haven't figured that part out yet. You'll get to see another 2001 C320 with just a tad bit over 100,000 on it. Anyways, let me know through PM or this thread.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
come down n see me. long time no talk
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Awesome trip, come on down. When you visit Matt, I'll have to say hello also. I've wanted to do something like that forever, and I wish I had taken the time to do it.

Now, if you have a chance I think these SPOT Satellite messenger things are fairly cheap. I had a friend of mine that retired this last year and took a motorcycle from Key West to the north shore in Alaska this summer. He used one on his thread on advrider.com (along with posting his trip as he went - great reading). He used to have the track in his signature. The SPOT thing showed on a google map where he was and just made following fun. It might be something that would give your parents piece of mind...and be cool.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by MW_ATL
Awesome trip, come on down. When you visit Matt, I'll have to say hello also. I've wanted to do something like that forever, and I wish I had taken the time to do it.

Now, if you have a chance I think these SPOT Satellite messenger things are fairly cheap. I had a friend of mine that retired this last year and took a motorcycle from Key West to the north shore in Alaska this summer. He used one on his thread on advrider.com (along with posting his trip as he went - great reading). He used to have the track in his signature. The SPOT thing showed on a google map where he was and just made following fun. It might be something that would give your parents piece of mind...and be cool.
wow that is exactly what i was looking for and to think i was going to use a laptop with a gps and an air card that will do it all way cheaper .
Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by PA_Pete
Trey, I checked out your route, seems like you heading south, then west, then north, then east, then south again back home. IF you come across the Southeastern part of PA, let me know, stop on in, and have a few drinks! You'll have a place to crash too if you like. As for the trip, well, I may be able to give you some advice on planning it, figuring along the way where your stops are, gas stations, MB Dealers or Independents (in case something were to go wrong with the MB), but what fun would that be for someone to tell you how to take your trip! Anyways, let me know if you have any questions. Also, you going to be around this weekend? I'm going be down in McLean/Fairfax County on Thanksgiving through Saturday visiting family. I should have my car down there, but we haven't figured that part out yet. You'll get to see another 2001 C320 with just a tad bit over 100,000 on it. Anyways, let me know through PM or this thread.
well i have to work Friday so the only day i could do anything would be Saturday but would be game if you could do something.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Black Friday at Best Buy is insane

I remember back in the days when I use to work there, man was that a zoo or what. Good luck Trey
Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 AM

'05 c230 Kompressor SS Mistress
If you visit Karo and crash there ive heard somethings. o_O
lol
Be easy on him Karo
Old 11-23-2010, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by havoc_vulture
lol
Be easy on him Karo
No one stays for free.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
I'm also doing something like this, except mine is only 600 miles from SF to LA
Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
but for completely different reasons of course
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by edgarinho10
No one stays for free.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by havoc_vulture
lol
Be easy on him Karo
Me??? You should tell that to Matt. When I crashed at Matt's house every morning when I woke up my behind was sooo sore . He said it's nothing, out in CAyou guys get head colds and out here in GA we get butt colds..it's common around here
Old 11-23-2010, 01:34 AM

Me??? You should tell that to Matt. When I crashed at Matt's house every morning when I woke up my behind was sooo sore . He said it's nothing, out in CAyou guys get head colds and out here in GA we get butt colds..it's common around here
Well Matt thats a whole new set of hmmmm obstacles so to speak
think of it like he's going to get to Matt and head back home
Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Patrick will be upset

Enjoy - You have a very beautiful country to travel around. I used to jump in a car and travel every chance I got when living there. Take a little detour up the San Juan skyway to Aspen while you are there - God's own country - love the Rockies - and also visit Mesa Verde.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
I thought that butt colds thing was only in 5 states out of the 50.... But for specific reasons. & Georgia is not one of them.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM

2003 c240
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Patrick will be upset

Enjoy - You have a very beautiful country to travel around. I used to jump in a car and travel every chance I got when living there. Take a little detour up the San Juan skyway to Aspen while you are there - God's own country - love the Rockies - and also visit Mesa Verde.
Great idea... The Rockies are awesome. I try and head up there every weekend. You can ski/snowboard in the winter or hit the hot springs or just go sight seeing or hiking at Hanging Lake in the summer. You can check out lookout mountain, which is awesome.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: USA Road Trip