C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Suspension problem. Rear is sitting too low. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C320, 08 M6, 98 ITR
Suspension problem. Rear is sitting too low. Help!

I have a 2001 C320 with some custom audio equipment that weight about 150-200 pound. I installed some H&R coilover (height adjustable only) on it a few month back. For some reason with the coil spring perch set to the highest, my rear is slammed. My rear tires are tuck. Is anyone experiencing the same problem with coilover and audio equipment in the trunk? It doesn't sound right to me, because having one guy in the back seat is already 150-200 pound. I'm thinking about buying a different coilover, but before I do so I would like some feedback from my fellow MB member. What kind of coilover are you guys using with system in the back? How low does the rear sit? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 PM

2003 c240
It's different because of where the weight is being distributed. With a system the weight is directly on or further behind the rear suspension; therefore it will lower it more. With a person in the backseat, the weight is distributed with both the front and rear suspension.

For your problem you can buy a number 4 spring pad for the rear and it will raise the car up about 3/4 of an inch.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350
Originally Posted by fookoo303
It's different because of where the weight is being distributed. With a system the weight is directly on or further behind the rear suspension; therefore it will lower it more. With a person in the backseat, the weight is distributed with both the front and rear suspension.

For your problem you can buy a number 4 spring pad for the rear and it will raise the car up about 3/4 of an inch.
No spring pads are used with coilovers.

OP, if you are adjusted all the way up on the threads on your rear coilover set-up, then it's remove weight or switch to springs/shocks where as fookoo notes, you can play around with rear spring pads. There are 4 different thicknesses.

Or, you could slam the hell out of the front and even it out
Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 AM

01 C320, 08 M6, 98 ITR
Originally Posted by glocati
No spring pads are used with coilovers.

OP, if you are adjusted all the way up on the threads on your rear coilover set-up, then it's remove weight or switch to springs/shocks where as fookoo notes, you can play around with rear spring pads. There are 4 different thicknesses.

Or, you could slam the hell out of the front and even it out
You're right about the spring pad. I wanted to use my spring pad on the coilover, but it was impossible to fit correctly.
I really don't want to lose the sound system nor go back to regular lowering spring. I don't mind trying out another set of coilover. I was hoping someone on the board with coilover and sound system can give me some feedback. That way I can decide what coilover to get. Anyone?
I was thinking about getting KW V2, but the coilover perch look pretty short, shorter then my H&R. Not sure if I'll get the same problem with KW.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
Not 100% about the KWV2's, but here's a little side info

With Bilsteins, the rears 11 threads down on the adjustment I have a 1 or .5 finger gap in the rear. But this is with the top rubber perch still in place from a C280 (Luxury Edition)
No fingergap with anything more than 150lbs.

But I think I'm going to take that perch out later today as I wanted to lower it to even out the ridiculous rake, but I don't have the thin spacer that was supposed to sit at the top.. So I'll see what I decide on.. I'm most likely going to just adjust the setting lower.. The best plan of action would be to call bilstein and order one, or even quicker, just get a substitute at Ace

I think with the bilsteins you can leave the rubber spacer (perch) on the top of the spring, as the adjustment for the rear sits at the bottom compared to all other suspensions where it's at the top.

What you may want to know is that the KWV2's may give you the same problem due to the height adjustment being at the top = No space for rubber perch = no finger gap = rub from sound system

example: When I was around... 35 threads down the rear adjustment.. I would sit slightly tucked in the rear. And with 3 99~110 lb girls in the back, I would rub on turns with big dips in the road..
And since you already have an extra 150lbs... I'm sure you'll need to think about other options, or ride dumped
Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 AM

01 C320, 08 M6, 98 ITR
Originally Posted by iJimpanzee
Not 100% about the KWV2's, but here's a little side info

With Bilsteins, the rears 11 threads down on the adjustment I have a 1 or .5 finger gap in the rear. But this is with the top rubber perch still in place from a C280 (Luxury Edition)
No fingergap with anything more than 150lbs.

But I think I'm going to take that perch out later today as I wanted to lower it to even out the ridiculous rake, but I don't have the thin spacer that was supposed to sit at the top.. So I'll see what I decide on.. I'm most likely going to just adjust the setting lower.. The best plan of action would be to call bilstein and order one, or even quicker, just get a substitute at Ace

I think with the bilsteins you can leave the rubber spacer (perch) on the top of the spring, as the adjustment for the rear sits at the bottom compared to all other suspensions where it's at the top.

What you may want to know is that the KWV2's may give you the same problem due to the height adjustment being at the top = No space for rubber perch = no finger gap = rub from sound system

example: When I was around... 35 threads down the rear adjustment.. I would sit slightly tucked in the rear. And with 3 99~110 lb girls in the back, I would rub on turns with big dips in the road..
And since you already have an extra 150lbs... I'm sure you'll need to think about other options, or ride dumped

Thanks for the reply. I just brought the KW an hour ago. I couldn't resist, I want to try something else. Those H&R are too soft, it comfortable but not for me. So I'm hoping the stiffness on those KW can withstand the weight of my trunk.
As far as I know, PSS9 is the only coilover that make the coil spring perch on the bottom. I was looking for a use set, but I believe you brought the latest one that was for sale on the forum. That why I jump on the KW, before someone else jumps on it. Let me know if you want to try out KW, I dont mind trading
Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 AM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
Haha, try out the KW's and tell me how you like them.
Did you buy them from spr? Or just ordered them like.. now?

I like the PSS9's, but they're no where near the level of handling of an S2K.
But our cars are pigs, so that's to be expected. I think I'm going to get sways next to see how close I can get to the level of S2K handling

I wouldn't mind trying out the KWV2's since the rears have a giant silver canister rather than being a straight tube?
It's really too bad you're in socal =/
If only we were in the same city, haha
I may actually go down again for an event tho, so we'll see =P

Ive heard good things about the kwv2's, but I was set on getting the pss9's. And now I have them Haha. I just like the yellow and blue. But yellow and purple looks cool too

Are you going to install them yourself?
I think I've done this install so many times that I could finish by myself, all 4 in about... 8 hours from scratch give or take 3 hours depending on slacking off due to spring compression and etc. Haha. Proper tools saves ridiculous amounts of time
To save even more time, just re-buy the top hat bushings for the front. Literally 2 hours of time saved right there!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
You know other companies like Eibach, hyercoils, and swift springs make custom coilover springs. They'll make it to your specs... you'd probably want stiffer springs in the rear and taller. H&R even does custom coilover springs, you shouldve gave them a call before you bought the other ones, you couldve probably worked a deal where you send your old ones in and they would've given you different one.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
also I've heard you'll need spacers with the KW because of the strut
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by phister
You know other companies like Eibach, hyercoils, and swift springs make custom coilover springs. They'll make it to your specs... you'd probably want stiffer springs in the rear and taller. H&R even does custom coilover springs, you shouldve gave them a call before you bought the other ones, you couldve probably worked a deal where you send your old ones in and they would've given you different one.
+1.. It's like a bulletproof car, theres a few thousand pounds on there more than factory but they have new HD springs or leaf springs to support the weight.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
i have KW V2 Coilovers and i USED spring Pads with mines.. what i did was.. i purchase the Largest Pad Then Cut it so it will Sit Flat! that way you can have more height! :-)
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
+1 - if you can't come right just have a set of custom springs made.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
+1 - if you can't come right just have a set of custom springs made.

This made me giggle in class.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Any pics of your car with the H&R co's installed? How many miles are on them? maybe they need to be serviced?

I have about 80-90 pounds of speaker stuff in my trunk which hardly effects my height at all. Im on Tein basic and these aren't as stiff as the H&R.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
Any pics of your car with the H&R co's installed? How many miles are on them? maybe they need to be serviced?

I have about 80-90 pounds of speaker stuff in my trunk which hardly effects my height at all. Im on Tein basic and these aren't as stiff as the H&R.
+1 I have tein basics and I have about 75lbs of audio in my trunk and when I go on road trips I have about 150 or more of weight in my trunk and it doesnt drop too much.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM

01 C320, 08 M6, 98 ITR
Originally Posted by iJimpanzee
Haha, try out the KW's and tell me how you like them.
Did you buy them from spr? Or just ordered them like.. now?

I like the PSS9's, but they're no where near the level of handling of an S2K.
But our cars are pigs, so that's to be expected. I think I'm going to get sways next to see how close I can get to the level of S2K handling

I wouldn't mind trying out the KWV2's since the rears have a giant silver canister rather than being a straight tube?
It's really too bad you're in socal =/
If only we were in the same city, haha
I may actually go down again for an event tho, so we'll see =P

Ive heard good things about the kwv2's, but I was set on getting the pss9's. And now I have them Haha. I just like the yellow and blue. But yellow and purple looks cool too

Are you going to install them yourself?
I think I've done this install so many times that I could finish by myself, all 4 in about... 8 hours from scratch give or take 3 hours depending on slacking off due to spring compression and etc. Haha. Proper tools saves ridiculous amounts of time
To save even more time, just re-buy the top hat bushings for the front. Literally 2 hours of time saved right there!
Yup, I brought the one from SPR. I was gonna pick it up, but my lazy *** didn't wanna drive down to SD, so he's shipping it to me.
I know the w203 will never hang like an s2k, and that not what my intention are. I just need something good to ride on.
So I'm guessing your other car is a S2k? Those are cool cars.
I know how to install them, but I always send it to my friend shop and have them do it. Don't feel like getting my hands dirty

I was thinking about order custom spring from swift. I'm pretty sure it gonna run me close to $500, so i figure might as well try something new.
I'm running a 5mm spacer on my Brabus, not sure if that will work.

Originally Posted by WaveyKat
i have KW V2 Coilovers and i USED spring Pads with mines.. what i did was.. i purchase the Largest Pad Then Cut it so it will Sit Flat! that way you can have more height! :-)
That sound like an good idea. I might try that out. Will you happen to have any picture so I can get an idea how I should cut it?
I was told the rear spring would sit secure if I put a spring pad with coilover.

Originally Posted by ROLLNNN

I will upload pic later today, Thanks

honestly I have no clue why my 203 sit like that. It was even like that when I had stock shock with H&R lowering spring.

+1 I have tein basics and I have about 75lbs of audio in my trunk and when I go on road trips I have about 150 or more of weight in my trunk and it doesnt drop too much.
My H&R coilover got about 30k-40k miles on them. I hardly drive the car anymore too, only on weekday to work and back.
Lets hope the KW can solve my problem.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM

01 C320, 08 M6, 98 ITR
Thanks guy for all your help.

WaveyKat: I would really like to hear more about using spring pad on KW V2. I might need to go that route as well.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
I'm a college student, and one of my good friend's has a really well done S2K, so I know how it handles.

I took out the oem spring perch/pad yesterday and....

I don't know how someone made the OEM spring perch sit flat?
The coilover / after market spring is made so that it's flat at both ends whereas the OEM spring isn't flattened.
There's an indent in the pad so the OEM spring can rest in the groove..

And what I realized is that the Bilstein Spring must've never fully rested flat with the pad on.

What I realized after taking the perch's out (my rear's dropped another inch or so, so I'm tucking just a bit in the rear--looks amazing, imo)

The car's definitely more level, horizontal, rather than raked. Handling is improved as I believe I had the most RIDICULOUS rake before taking the perch out, but this may be a placebo effect, or due to running 4-stiff in the fronts, and 2-stiff in the rears. Turning feels a lot better. Minimal body roll. Accidental drifts and bumps due to bad roads and balding tires.

Essentially, loving the pss9's, but want new rims and sways now! Haha
Hope you get those KWV2's on quick!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
I had same set up as you before....

H&R CO's but I didn't have it at it's highest perch mines was pretty low actually(don't remember the exact height it was YEARS ago) and I had a few hundred pounds of ICE in the trunk(monitors/amps/woofers/ps/etc) and mine was tucked in real nice. Even with 2-3 people in the car it wouldn't be HORRIBLE, sure a few scrapes here and there but still drivable. In fact I was running 19x10 in the rear:

I think your co's may just have gone out or maybe they needed servicing.