C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005 c230 Bluetooth. Sigh... Somone tell me there is another way.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes c230
2005 c230 Bluetooth. Sigh... Somone tell me there is another way.

Hi guys!

So I just bought a 2005 c230. Beautiful, beautiful car. Just love it. Okay, so I was reading about how the 05's have the wiring set up for the car already. I was looking for the plastic hatch under the arm rest, but all I could find was the black felt with an outline cut in the shape of the plastic piece. I guess that means I don't have the connector. I have the antenna on the back windshield and the dash screen reports "No Phone" and the mics are under the rear view mirror. (I have a CD changer/Harmon Kardon)

Aren't all 2005 models pre-wired for bluetooth?

Is there another area I should check to see if I can plug it in else where in the car (I know it's doubtful).

What would be the cheapest solution to get a phone working in the car? Oh and would it be easy at all?

If I got the OEM nav system installed from mercedes benz would I be able to get the phone system with it? (I know that's a reach)

Guys, ty so very much for any help you can give!

Cheers!

Last edited by Grey Rabbit; 06-14-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Last question first.... The factory NAV really has nothing to do with the phone system. The phone system is in the trunk of the car, the factory NAV of course is in the dash.

You have two solutions available if you want it to have the awesome integration that is possible in the Mercedes (just like a 2011 model).
1. buy the factory UHI module and harness for the trunk as well as the armrest items plus a bluetooth puck (total new dealer price is about $1800) - of course you can get used as well.
2. buy the iTronic BT, plug it under the glovebox. (same network the factory trunk unit is on, just different location) total price $799
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM

2005 Mercedes c230
Ahh nice! I did just see this searching through the web. My only issue was I didn't see any install instructions for it to see just how hard the job was. I didn't see a compatibility list either (I know thats kinda hard with phones coming out all the time. I'm on a windows phone 7).

So really you just plug this unit under your glovebox and you're good to go? Nothing else is needed? No programming or anything? How hard is it to get at the wired under the glovebox? Saw the install video, but have no idea if my 05 c230 are the same steps.

It uses the cars existing mics and speakers and everything correct? Even with the Harmon/Kardon speakers?

Thanks for the help on this, this looks like what i'll be buying!

Last edited by Grey Rabbit; 06-14-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
another option is to upgrade your head unit. You can get a double din with navi, bluetooth, dvd etc for around the same price as option 2 above. I have a Kenwood DNX-8120 and i think the bluetooth is probably the feature i use the most...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spend $30 and get a bluetooth ear piece and spend the rest of the cash on something worthwhile like wheels and tires
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by GINO-ESC
spend $30 and get a bluetooth ear piece and spend the rest of the cash on something worthwhile like wheels and tires
That is what I do except mine was $130 Plantronics Discovery 975
I do wish it was cheaper to integrate into our w203's but I decided that my next car will have it integrated.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Originally Posted by samaritrey
That is what I do except mine was $130 Plantronics Discovery 975
I do wish it was cheaper to integrate into our w203's but I decided that my next car will have it integrated.
Although Cartronics is a great option, retrofitting the factory setup is not as expensive as you would think, using used parts from eBay. I think one of the best references I have found on the whole phone systems in our cars and how to retrofit (or some of the other options available) is HERE.

Trey -- especially for our D2B cars, and there are some great shortcuts you can use, between eBay and just putting in what you must, you can do BT and voice-control very cheap.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 PM

2005 Mercedes c230
Thanks for the help guys!

I think I better cool my jets though. I just got the car (i'll put some pics up soon) and I shutter at the thought of pulling carpets/trim and yanking out fiber optics. None of the installs seem that easy and looks like you could do some serious damage to the car (i.e crimp a cable, break trim). I think i'll just get a headset like Gino suggested until I feel a little braver.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Again, to set the record straight.. The OP car is MOST fiber optic, and to install an iTronic and enjoy the incredible built in system with all its automatic functions, and safety features takes less than 20 minutes and exactly 2 screws have to be removed. No carpet, trim or anything else. PLUS the sound quality is that of having the phone to your ear (even to the person on the other end) and is far more compatible and less of a cluster than even the original factory parts (which was designed around plugged in phones, never originally designed for Bluetooth, vs the iTronic built for BT from the ground up AND user upgradeable to keep up with new features and phones)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
What about one of those bluetooth transmitters. You know the one where you set a radio station and it broadcasts it.

Something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Blueto.../dp/B000NVYVRO
Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 AM

2005 Mercedes c230
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Again, to set the record straight.. The OP car is MOST fiber optic, and to install an iTronic and enjoy the incredible built in system with all its automatic functions, and safety features takes less than 20 minutes and exactly 2 screws have to be removed. No carpet, trim or anything else. PLUS the sound quality is that of having the phone to your ear (even to the person on the other end) and is far more compatible and less of a cluster than even the original factory parts (which was designed around plugged in phones, never originally designed for Bluetooth, vs the iTronic built for BT from the ground up AND user upgradeable to keep up with new features and phones)
I was about to pull the trigger on the BT system, but after watching the install video and hearing some of the installation headaches on the forums (i.e cd changer disappears/long phone calls getting the unit to work) I decided to wait. I mean you do have to pull that shifter panel off don't you? If I didn't have to heave that thing off I would give it a try, but right now I'll just wait till I get a little braver.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Wrong install video for a C Class. The C Class is installed just behind the CD Changer. You do not lose the CD Changer unless you want to add iPod functionality. There has never been any issue with losing calls, long calls, or anything else like that. Sometimes people post on the forums asking for answers to questions instead of doing the obvious, which is calling us or emailing us for the answer (I have NEVER understood that). Much simpler to ask the product provider what to do, then to ask the general public, who has all kinds of bad information or confuses products, or ideas, or ???) A great example is what Grey Rabbit just posted. Grey Rabbit did not look at the correct information, or call, or email us to clarify anything. The 2nd video down on our site (at the time of this writing) has the installation instructions for the C Class or all MB with the CDC in the glovebox. TO FURTHER CLARIFY, you DO NOT lose the changer or any function whatsoever in the car if you are doing bluetooth only. You only turn off the changer (fully reversible) if you want to control an iPod from your radio. Most people that utilize mass storage media like an iPod have no use for a changer anyhow (you ALWAYS retain the in dash single CD)
Anyway, we have about 12,000 units installed- we have a 30 day money back guarantee. I will even tell you out of 12,000 units, we have had 9 ever returned. People have been overwhelmingly satisfied.
A side note to ANY reader that is not 1000% satisfied with the unit - PLEASE call our support and we would be more than happy to help you get to that point of satisfaction.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 AM

05 C230 Sports Sedan, Previously owned an 02 C230 Sports Coupe
Grey Rabbit,

You should do the iTronic. It has been the single best thing I've bought for my car. Hands free BT to different phones over the past few years. This unit has given me zero issues.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
Originally Posted by MW_ATL
Although Cartronics is a great option, retrofitting the factory setup is not as expensive as you would think, using used parts from eBay. I think one of the best references I have found on the whole phone systems in our cars and how to retrofit (or some of the other options available) is HERE.

Trey -- especially for our D2B cars, and there are some great shortcuts you can use, between eBay and just putting in what you must, you can do BT and voice-control very cheap.
MW ATL- did you you install the Cradle Eliminator Cable and Bluetooth Puck?
Which set up did you go with in your car? Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
First you have to remember that my cars are both old enough to be D2B, not the newer MOST. But both cars are a full OEM install, with the MB Bluetooth puck used in the cradle. Both cars also got the Voice Control module during the same project. The also both have the original v60 MB Phone that fits in the cradle and all the documentation as well. Some of the parts were purchased new, and quite a few were sourced through eBay.

CarTronics is probably a better, or easier way of achieving the result; however, I enjoyed my project.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
Been researching since 2005 actually when i biught my 2005 c230...and the best/cheapest option is the iTronics...now $799 for the ipod/bt module aint *cheap* but alot less headaches and much cheaper than oem. Will prob jump gun after a while..
Also somone mentioned to just swap out the HU... The guy has the Harmon/kardon its not that easy-i know i have the same setup... Unless one is willing to re-wire and bypass the oem amp etc..