C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Group Buy on Porterfield Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Group Buy on Porterfield Brake Pads

I found a vendor that's willing to sell us Porterfield R4S brake pads for about 30% off (plus shipping and credit card fees). I'll get an exact price tomorrow but this is way cheaper than some other known discount sources. Let me know if you are interested. The list price is around $169. The more initial orders I can get the closer he'll get to 30%.

These pads that are supposed to produce very little dust, last, are quiet and have grip comperable to the stock pads.

According to SoCal240/6 they are very easy to put on and should only take a few minutes per side. I'll post pics of the work once I get my pads.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am interested.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
Hey, Buell, I thought Porterfields suck!

Just kidding!

Is that price for a set of 4? IMO, you really don't need the rears. At least on my car, the stock rear pads don't dust much (I didn't notice any less dusting on the rears with the Pfields). Could save some $ and time.

Anti-squeel is a MUST. Don't even try installing without. You'll just have to do it all over again.

It is an easy job, and it is self-explanatory when you see it, but when you get into it, let me know if you need any info.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Yes I'm interested...and SoCal...did you machine
your rotors first? I live close to Porterfield and may just have them do it if I'm feeling lazy.
Also, SoCal, you seem to have an 'in ' with Porterfield. If we give them our partialy worn pads can they use the wear sensors out of them to
install in their pads?
Old 02-14-2002, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SoCal240/6,

I never said they sucked, to have sucked they would have had to exist first. Now that they exists I have to hope they suck those rotors hard when I press on the brake pedal. Your assistance to me and other forum member is greatly appreaciated.

mleskovar,
I asked them to do my brakes 6 months ago and they said that they don't have the facilities to do that. I know MB of Laguna Niguel and Fletcher won't do it either. So it's either you or the local gas station. Personally I would do it myself before I picked a random place to do it. I suggest we hold a small meet in OC with SoCal240/6 guidance to put the brake pads on. If your car is fairly new I wouldn't arbitrarily turn the rotors.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Thumbs up Porterfield

Im in!! PLEASE let me know ASAP as im going to replace the pads/rotors on the C coupe and my e class... so when will the offer start or to place the order?

THANKS Mark
Old 02-14-2002, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mark, I wouldn't leave you out. I verified with Porterfield that it's OK to buy MB pads from a distributor of Toyota Porterfield pads because there was a concern that Porterfield would undercut myroadster.com who gives about an 11% discount vs. the 20% that is offered to other non-MB clubs directly, but it's OK for another dealer to do so.

Before they give me a price they want everyone to know that there is no wear sensor on these pads. This is the yellow warning light that comes one when your brakes have had it. I believe we discussed this in previous posts, specially from SoCal240/6 that has been testing them for Porterfield. He will take returns but he doesn't want them back for this reason.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
Porterfield used my stock pads as a template. They were also interested in my installations and use impressions. I live around 6 miles from their shop.

My car didn't have many miles on it, and the rotors were still like new. So I didn't turn them. I agree with Buell, not necessary on cars that are as new as ours.

ML, the problem is not that the new pads don't have wear sensors. The wear sensor is on the car. The problem is that it is too difficult for porterfield to duplicate the backing plate to incorporate the holder for the sensor. Would take too much machining, outside of their capacity. Porterfield mostly sells race pads, to people who don't use sensors.

As I understand it, the OEM pad mfr often makes the OEM backing plate available. If Porterfield could get that plate, they could put their pad material on it, and the sensors would work. But the plates are not available yet.

I'd be happy to meet with you all for a little "tech session" to swap out the pads. I have enough experience with these pads! I had to do the fronts a few times to get rid of the squeel. Same for the back, which I could never get rid of, so I am running the stock pads again.

You don't need a big facility, just a jack, some jackstands and a few hand tools. Hell, if we meet, you guys can jack your cars up, take the wheels off and I'll swap the pads out in a few minutes for ya.

(Again, I recommend only doing the fronts, the rears are not necessary. However, if you really want the rears, I'll sell you mine for half price. They have maybe 50 miles on them. I could not get them to not squeal on my car, but they may work on yours. Of course, if they don't, you can have your money back).

Last edited by SoCal240/6; 02-14-2002 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yahoo!

OK. I got a price (does not include shipping and handling). Looks like ~$100/set for the fronts, and ~$66 for the rears in R4-S
format. In comparison, Myroadster.net charges $149 for the fronts. To order send an e-mail to gemohler@www.speedtoys.com and let him know Carl sent you from the MBWorld.com forum for the special price.

For those in OC/LA, let me know when you get your pads and we'll pick a shady location and put them on.

Old 02-16-2002, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got mine on order. It came out to $121 with shipping and sales tax for the fronts.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Just sent an email to 'gemohler' to start the purchase cycle. I have 20K miles on my C320 and the front rotors have worn about .010". but the pads aren't even half worn yet. Don't know if I'll turn the rotors or not. Interesting that my brakes just started to squeel after a year and 20K miles. Very intermittent if it happens at all in a day and only at a certain pedal pressure. SoCal...did you try to bevel the edges of the pads in the rear to stop the vibrating? Also I hope everyone breaks in the pads using Porterfield's recommendation:

"New Brakes - Break-in Procedure

For the best in braking efficiency and to extend durability
of ANY new brake rotors and pads, the thermal break-in
procedure must always be taken into account. In turn, this
will also prevent discs from "thermal shock" which may cause
warping or cracking. Follow the procedure below:

1.Bring Vehicle Speed to 20 mph
2.Bring Vehicle Speed Down to 5 mph (using normal braking
pressure..NO PANIC STOPS!)
3.Repeat Steps 1 and 2 for 5 to 6 Times
4.Do Not Drive For 1 Hour To Allow Rotors To Cool To Ambient
Temperature To Avoid Warpage."
Old 02-16-2002, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For those in OC/LA area, MB of Laguna Niguel has agreed to put the pads on for $60. I didn't get any details as if that includes turning the rotors. This is an option if you don't want to get your hands dirty or are not sure of yourself or if you need the rotors turned and don't have the facilities to do it (I think Pep Boys will turn your rotors cheap).
Old 02-17-2002, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Please dont turn your rotors on your MB. They only last 2-3 brake jobs to begin with, turning them would warrant them to be replaced even sooner. Dont ever turn you MB or BMW rotors. They are made of a soft compound which help your car stop but also wear down the rotors. On my 1999 C43, the front brake job just cost me $1200 because my rotors needed to be replaced too (52,000 miles). Im looking into crossdrilled or vented rotors that dont need to be replaced. At your second brake job you will most likely need to replace your rotors too.
Old 02-17-2002, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ask Geoff at SpeedToys about rotors. Porterfield has some that are slotted and cryo treated to last. I'm not interested in rotors yet since I have an '02.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Angry

Well it looks like Jerry Jones won at MyRoadster.net. They complained to Porterfield and forced SpeedToys.com to raise their prices. Does this sound like restraint of trade or price fixing? The new price is $135. All those that purchased it already get the $100 price will still get them.

I know Jerry is just trying to protect his business but would you buy anything from a business that practices price fixing?
Old 02-18-2002, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
quote from MB tech bullletin:
18/96-4 GROUP 42 - ALL MODELS. REMACHINING BRAKE DISCS: We have noticed that the vast majority of warranty brake disc complaints are resolved by replacing the brake discs. We would like to remind all dealers that our brake discs can be successfully remachined. The cost of remachining either 1.2. 3, or all 4 brake discs should be entered on the warranty claim form using sublet code "REFACEBKDISC:. The MBNA Standard Equipment Program offers equipment to remachine brake discs which are manufactured by Accu Industries and AMMCO.

Usually I don't turn rotors but there is no doubt that they 'feel' better when done. The pricing snafu sure is irritating and definitely not legal.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's still a better price. Odds are, at $149 I would have went with the Pagid pads like on the Brembos or EBC for half the price .