C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Ash Tray GPS Storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ash Tray GPS Storage

After giving some thought to what to do with the ash tray space, I pulled my GPS off my boat to see if it would fit. After removing the insert I discovered the Garmin GPS III Plus is a perfect fit. I even found that it would operate in that location as long as I placed it on the dash board long enough to acquire the satalites. Granted its not quite as sexy as the Command system but, it handy place to store it if you happen to have one.
Old 02-14-2002, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Oh No!!

From your post, we'll figure you didn't see the marathon post some time back about fitting an electronic compass into the ash tray space. Rick started the whole thing by telling us about his Co-Pilot compass. Several of us bought that one or a similar one and discussed, at length, how to go about installing it in the ash tray. Now, you're going to start the whole thing again (just kidding)
Old 02-14-2002, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
looks ok - but darn it if I can't have COMAND i will have nothing !

(so I have nothing!)
Old 02-14-2002, 04:02 PM

C32 AMG
Wonder if you could fit a radar detector in there with the ashtray out?
Old 02-15-2002, 09:58 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Oh No!!

Originally posted by MarkL
From your post, we'll figure you didn't see the marathon post some time back about fitting an electronic compass into the ash tray space. Rick started the whole thing by telling us about his Co-Pilot compass. Several of us bought that one or a similar one and discussed, at length, how to go about installing it in the ash tray. Now, you're going to start the whole thing again (just kidding)
Gee, I wonder how he mounted that GPS in the ash tray? (Couldn't resist... I'm sooooo bad...)
Old 02-15-2002, 06:20 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Handspring GPS module

I love this idea and I hate it (hence I may spend more $$$) :p :p :p

anyway, I have a handspring organizer collecting dust in the drawer. I found there are 3-4 GPS modules. Does anyone has tried any of these GPS? Any good?

thanks.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:11 PM

C230K
Thanks for verifying what I am doing.

I've got the same GPS, which I *THOUGHT* would fit well in there. Since I'm currently on a business trip, I couldn't verify. I'm ordering an extended antenna, and the pigtail for power. Once I'm done, it will be permanently mounted in there, with full view of the sky.

The fit looked as good or better than it did in my GSR. Added bonus, it's got the door to cover it when I leave...
Old 02-19-2002, 08:15 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
That's pretty neat! You can actually take out the ashtray insert if you need a little more wiggle room for something else.

The GPS systems for handhelds are actually pretty cool! If you already have an iPAQ with gobs of RAM, the additional expense is a mere $300.-, for those of us who had to shy away from the cost of the COMAND system (snif!).

I'm using the PocketCopilot Jacket Edition by TravRoute.com - the "jacket" being an iPAQ-style sleeve with built-in GPS antenna and a slot for flash memory, built by Navman of New Zealand; you just slide in your iPAQ and plug in the DC power. It works like the "real" thing...even with voice instructions ("Just ahead, bear right!"). You install software on your handheld and PC (the map data go on the PC, or remain on CD-ROM), and download mapdata for the area you need onto your handheld.

There's other software I'm planning to get as soon as it becomes available by itself (without the GPS receiver hardware - I prefer using the Navman sleeve) and with the Navman drivers: DestinAtor by Powerloc.com.

I threw out my paper maps, save for the neat little leatherbound Mercedes-Benz road atlas.