C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Smartkey functions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Acura
Smartkey functions?

For those whose cars have already arrived.....does pointing the IR transmitter at the car and holding the "unlock" button allow you to open the windows AND sunroof, or just the windows? What about closing? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Pointing at the IR and holding the unlock button down will unlock the door(s), open the windows, open the sunroof and if equiped turn on the ventalated seats (S/CL Class).

Holding the Lock button will do the reverse.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:18 PM

1995 Acura
Thanks

The salesperson couldn't get it to work on the demo C230K. I thought maybe this was reserved for the higher-end models. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Cool Confirmation

As my dealer also could not get this feature to work with a cursory attempt I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this features functionality on the coupe.

Ian
Old 11-19-2001, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Confirmation

Originally posted by Buddha
As my dealer also could not get this feature to work with a cursory attempt I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this features functionality on the coupe.

Ian
It works fine on my coupe. You have to be in fairly close proximity to one of the door handles, and point the key at the IR eye on the door handle. Then you have to stand there pressing the button for several seconds before anything happens. I consider this to be a worthless feature. I don't want the passenger window down, and often don't want the driver window down. It just seems to be quicker to get in the car and open the roof and window. The best use of this feature is too impress friends and colleagues whose cars don't have this.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: Confirmation

Originally posted by Lynn

It works fine on my coupe. You have to be in fairly close proximity to one of the door handles, and point the key at the IR eye on the door handle. Then you have to stand there pressing the button for several seconds before anything happens. I consider this to be a worthless feature. I don't want the passenger window down, and often don't want the driver window down. It just seems to be quicker to get in the car and open the roof and window. The best use of this feature is too impress friends and colleagues whose cars don't have this.
Lynn, it could easily be useful on a hot summer day, so you don't have to get into the car just to get soaked with sweat before it cools down, especially if your car is black with charcoal leather interior.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Re: I agree with Lynn...

Originally posted by MB-BOB

Tried this once while taking a car load to a restaurant. On arrival, my friends bailed out of the car and were 2/3 of the way to the restaurant front door before I could close all the windows, etc and leave the side of the car. Fortunately, my buddies are not keen to tease on this occasion, so I luckily avoided a real Geek moment. I haven't tempted fate subsequently.
MB-BOB, don't forget about the "all close" feature via the recirculate button on the A/C. If you press and hold recirc for 2 seconds, all windows and sunroof will close. Doesn't matter if the A/C is in econ mode, etc. When I want to close everything (and impress my friends), I press the recirc button while I'm parking, and then immediately press it again to get it out of recirc mode. Don't bother with the remote. Give it a try!
Old 11-19-2001, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Using "recirc" to reopen windows...

Actually, the feature we're talking about is called "tunnel mode" by M-B (as you probably know). I guess there are lots of tunnels in Europe, and if you're driving around w/ the windows open you want to be able to close them, and then reopen when you're out of the tunnel. For me, I just use it sometimes when I shut down to close everything conveniently -- so, I don't use the "reopen" function. I did try to do this once after shutting off the ignition and restarting later, but it doesn't save the open settings after you turn off the car -- too bad!
Old 11-19-2001, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Re: Smartkey functions?

Originally posted by SFVideoGuy
For those whose cars have already arrived.....does pointing the IR transmitter at the car and holding the "unlock" button allow you to open the windows AND sunroof, or just the windows? What about closing? Thanks.
Mine opens the windows, sunshade and then sunroof to the tilt open (not half or full open) position. Seems to be dependant on how long you hold it down.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:50 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
with a black car, and a charcoal interior, standing outside the car, perfectly still for a couple of seconds sure as hell beats sitting in the car, sweating my brains out, opening all the windows

greg
Old 11-20-2001, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"ALL CLOSE" feature, what year did that feature start? I have a '99 and I don't recall reading about it in the manual........I'll have to give that one a try.
Old 11-20-2001, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
yup...hold down the lock button...and wndows/sunroof/shade all close
Old 11-20-2001, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
The summer opening/closing feature has been around for a looooong time. The 124 style E-class had that feature in the early 90's, possibly earlier.
Old 11-21-2001, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
We're talking about the "recirc" tunnel mode = "All Close"

Originally posted by Rick
yup...hold down the lock button...and wndows/sunroof/shade all close
Rick, I think here we're talking about the "tunnel mode" feature I mentioned which is activated by pressing and holding the "recirc" button on the A/C for 2 seconds. It then starts the auto close of all windows and sunroof. You don't have to hold it past the 2 seconds. If you want, you can also hold the recirc button again for 2 seconds and the windows/roof open to where they were before. (I generally only use the close feature - I reopen on my next trip out).
Old 11-21-2001, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Hmmmm

Originally posted by MB-BOB
I always thought BLACK cars were a symptom of masochism. Now I know it is. You guys put up with entirely too much to have a BLACK car. End of story.
It doesn't really have to be black - the charcoal interior alone will turn the inside into a sauna on a hot day
Old 11-25-2001, 12:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: Re: I agree with Lynn...

Originally posted by MarkL

MB-BOB, don't forget about the "all close" feature via the recirculate button on the A/C. If you press and hold recirc for 2 seconds, all windows and sunroof will close. Doesn't matter if the A/C is in econ mode, etc. When I want to close everything (and impress my friends), I press the recirc button while I'm parking, and then immediately press it again to get it out of recirc mode. Don't bother with the remote. Give it a try!
When I try this in my C230K it just closes the windows and leaves the sunroof open....anyone get this to work w a C230K?
Old 11-25-2001, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Again, Lynn, we're talking about the "tunnel mode" via "recirc" button...

Originally posted by Lynn
Geoff, I had to play around with mine to get everything synchronized. Try holding the lock button until all motors stop running, then do the same with the unlock button. You may have to repeat this several times. When it gets to the point that the windows lower and the top tilts up, press and hold the unlock button a second time and the roof will open.

Be patient, opening/ closing the roof and shades is fairly time consuming.
not the open/close function by using the smart key.

Geoff, I'm not sure the C230 has a one-touch close for the sunroof. If not, the tunnel-mode (aka. all close via recirc button), will not close the sunroof. The button activates the one-touch feature for all windows and sunroof in the C240/320. You only have to hold the recirc button for 2 seconds to activate the feature, you don't have to hold it until everything closes like you do when using the smart key "lock" button.