C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Upgrading stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by tommy
AFAIK, the car would have to be rewired to get rid of the fiberoptic crap; I've priced it out, and would probably run about 1900-2200 total. I had been holding onto an old Eclipse unit (my favorites), but had to throw that in the CRX when that car's Eclipse HU died this summer.
If it weren't for the repairs, I would have had a new h/u in my car by now, but now, I don't feel like throwing that much into it; that would be a good chunk on the down payment for my next car. And at this point, it's almost cool enough to keep the windows up, which means that a b1chin' stereo isn't really needed until April/May.
Oh wow! Yeah that's a lot of dough to spend on an audio upgrade on an old car. Make sure you pick an upgradable audio system in your next car...:P. You never know whats going to be available 2 years from when you buy it
Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by jcnash
Make sure you pick an upgradable audio system in your next car...
That's a tough one - most cars are now so integrated that you're stuck with the crappy stock radio, and making changes behind the scenes. That's great for power and sound, not so great for ergonomics and aesthetics. Luckily, the Abarth will be one of those car with a stock h/u that can be swapped out.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Aftermarket equipment looks so tacky in a car, though.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ Not if its done right.

Neon lights blinking everywhere... definitely tacky!
Some high end audio equipment manufacturers manufacture great looking gear for cars with subtle lighting etc, but with much improved sound.

http://dangerous13.pdj.com/foto/230798/#foto830741
Old 10-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I'd take a slightly more cheesy display in my car versus a display that I have to hit the *******g "T" button for the time of the song on the cd that I'm playing, for example. That really drives me crazy. There's minimalism, and then there's lack of information - MB obviously doesn't get the difference.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dunno, I just prefer the integrated look of the factory equipment.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230k
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ WOW :O

Thats a speaker transport vehicle. Not a passenger car.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
South Africa going to extremes again
Old 10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by johnand
I used to be a huge car audio nut. I tore apart many vehicles and spent a ton of money trying to get a perfect sounding vehicle. Several years ago, I finally came to the realization, that it is impossible to get perfect sound in a vehicle. Cars are terrible sound rooms. That is why I migrated to home theater for my audio bliss.

To the OP, I would go aftermarket. It is much cheaper and easier to get decent sound quality. But, you can't beat OEM for aesthetics.

Glyn, I have had the pleasure to listen to several varieties of MG's, and I have always been impressed
Indeed - cars are a hostile environment for quality sound. You can never get it right. The acoustics of a car suck! I gave up a long while back.

Yes - I've done the speaker rounds. Right up to the good old Arnie Nudell Infinity IRS V's with my good friend Matthew Tang in Hong Kong driven by Levinson. (before Harmon got his fingers into Infinity)

For what I want I will stick with Maggies. In the right room with the right gear upstream no box loudspeaker can touch them until you get into the lunatic fringe which don't employ conventional enclosures & cost a bomb.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 PM

C230k
Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 PM

C230k
The old system...
Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
glyn, you should check out some of the home audio system pictures i have on FB. i have an album of a recent show i went to i believe. audio is my career so i'm always in favor of hearing the best as far as SQ. some of these guys just don't get it.....(pioneer.....really?)
Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by michael kuzni
glyn, you should check out some of the home audio system pictures i have on FB. i have an album of a recent show i went to i believe. audio is my career so i'm always in favor of hearing the best as far as SQ. some of these guys just don't get it.....(pioneer.....really?)
"Yeah Pioneer...Really"! LOL

And you work in audio eh? I guess that explains why most audio equipment manufactured nowadays is so ****!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
"Yeah Pioneer...Really"! LOL

And you work in audio eh? I guess that explains why most audio equipment manufactured nowadays is so ****!
yup, pioneer amplifiers are crap. most of their stereos are too. they're just great because of their price point and features.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yup, pioneer amplifiers are crap. most of their stereos are too. they're just great because of their price point and features.
So are you saying theyre crap or great?

Anyway, I agree that modern Pioneer gear is crap. Im talking about stuff from the 70's. Back then they were some of the most expensive, well-built and great sounding non-commercial gear you could buy. If you're career is in audio, shouldn't you know this stuff?

Maybe you mean you peddle low end HT stuff at Best Buy when you say your career is in audio eh?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
So are you saying theyre crap or great?

Anyway, I agree that modern Pioneer gear is crap. Im talking about stuff from the 70's. Back then they were some of the most expensive, well-built and great sounding non-commercial gear you could buy. If you're career is in audio, shouldn't you know this stuff?

Maybe you mean you peddle low end HT stuff at Best Buy when you say your career is in audio eh?
they're crap

and why are you hating...? you didn't ask me anything homeboy....you just straight up said i work at best buy (or buy my stuff from there...i didn't know they sell morel speakers now and genesis amplifiers now! cool!) if you wish to try to make some sort of mockery of me, go ahead and PM me and we'll discuss our diffrences and HELL, maybe i'll decide to teach you a thing or two about audio in the current day. or you can continue to be a douche and rebuttle my statement. either way, the choice is yours....eh
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they're crap

and why are you hating...? you didn't ask me anything homeboy....you just straight up said i work at best buy (or buy my stuff from there...i didn't know they sell morel speakers now and genesis amplifiers now! cool!) if you wish to try to make some sort of mockery of me, go ahead and PM me and we'll discuss our diffrences and HELL, maybe i'll decide to teach you a thing or two about audio in the current day. or you can continue to be a douche and rebuttle my statement. either way, the choice is yours....eh
I dont need to make a mockery of you "homeboy"...you accomplished that pretty damn well yourself
Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Who uses the word "homeboy"? Really?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Who uses the word "homeboy"? Really?
Guys who peddle low end HT stuff at Best Buy

Ahahaha....sorry I couldnt help myself
Old 10-21-2011, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Guys who peddle low end HT stuff at Best Buy

Ahahaha....sorry I couldnt help myself
did you just $%&* yourself? pioneer made a good headunit in 1978....that's about where it ended. i've had plenty of people on here come to my shop and they all know what i'm about....i say homeboy because the word i want to use will get me banned, and i don't talk about my shop (if i work at best buy or if my family owns the largest car audio store in northern california, no will ever ever know) because i'm not a sponsor nor wish to become one. keep on running your mouth.

don't you have an f700bt? isn't that the best buy version of the premier f90bt?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

did you just $%&* yourself? pioneer made a good headunit in 1978....that's about where it ended. i've had plenty of people on here come to my shop and they all know what i'm about....i say homeboy because the word i want to use will get me banned, and i don't talk about my shop (if i work at best buy or if my family owns the largest car audio store in northern california, no will ever ever know) because i'm not a sponsor nor wish to become one. keep on running your mouth.

don't you have an f700bt? isn't that the best buy version of the premier f90bt?
Did I just f**k myself...no, but judging from your response I just f*&^ed you! LOL.

Besides you started it with your initial comment....
(pioneer.....really?)
Yah I do have an F700bt. I (not my family) also own 8 Macintosh MC2KW's for my 7.1 Home system, each of which cost a couple grand each along with other Macintosh gear like an MX 150 processor etc etc. My HT system alone probably costs more than your car, but I dont go about waving it in people's faces.

If you gonna dish...you better be able to handle being dished bro.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Did I just f**k myself...no, but judging from your response I just f*&^ed you! LOL.

Besides you started it with your initial comment....

Yah I do have an F700bt. I (not my family) also own 8 Macintosh MC2KW's for my 7.1 Home system, each of which cost a couple grand each along with other Macintosh gear like an MX 150 processor etc etc. My HT system alone probably costs more than your car, but I dont go about waving it in people's faces.

If you gonna dish...you better be able to handle being dished bro.
you just contradicted yourself....blah blah blah don't show off...blah blah blah i have this and that. i know what those cost. yea they're expensive and they're 2000 watts continous power. here's the thing, i hold a pretty solid rep. on here for the go to guy for car audio questions that i answer in complete detail with PM's. the reason why i'm not tearing you to shreds right now with abusive language and personal statements is because unlike you, i have something to lose. that's why i'm saying for you to PM me. if you really want to say that you know high end equipment, please be my guest, you're the one with the f700BT
Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you just contradicted yourself....blah blah blah don't show off...blah blah blah i have this and that. i know what those cost. yea they're expensive and they're 2000 watts continous power. here's the thing, i hold a pretty solid rep. on here for the go to guy for car audio questions that i answer in complete detail with PM's. the reason why i'm not tearing you to shreds right now with abusive language and personal statements is because unlike you, i have something to lose. that's why i'm saying for you to PM me. if you really want to say that you know high end equipment, please be my guest, you're the one with the f700BT
Dude...you really think I care about your rep on an anonymous internet forum?

If youre really as knowledgeable about high end audio as you claim, you wouldnt need to resort to "abusive language and personal statements" to "tear me to shreds". Your audio knowledge should suffice right?

Anyway...I was testing the satellite internet capabilities in the new private jet that Bombardier is building. So thank you very much for providing adequate bandwidth and throughput for my testing, and for providing many people who will read this thread a good laugh.

You go on being the hot shot northern california car audio dealer who believed he knows everything yea?

Cheers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading stereo