C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Upgrading stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by jcnash
Dude...you really think I care about your rep on an anonymous internet forum?

If youre really as knowledgeable about high end audio as you claim, you wouldnt need to resort to "abusive language and personal statements" to "tear me to shreds". Your audio knowledge should suffice right?

Anyway...I was testing the satellite internet capabilities in the new private jet that Bombardier is building. So thank you very much for providing adequate bandwidth and throughput for my testing, and for providing many people who will read this thread a good laugh.

You go on being the hot shot northern california car audio dealer who believed he knows everything yea?

Cheers!
you obviously care since you're trying to end this convo.

cool story bro here's the funny thing, i don't know $%^& about really high end audio did it sound like i did? i hope not. that's not my area of expertise. no, vintage pioneer is not high end equipment as you were trying to claim. it's okay though, i hope you succeed next time you try to bring someone down because you are the one who started it. no one cares about what we say on here! someone makes a new car audio thread every other week.

cheers
Old 10-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Michael kuzni and Jcnash, consider this your warning. Continued public attacks of one another will result in infractions. This thread has gotten out of hand and is now locked.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Guys - our W203 forum is always polite & helpful. Stop this nonesense please. Do you think we mods want to kick your butts? We will if we have to. Enough!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

BTW - in my younger years before I could afford Audio Research amplification my first set of Maggie MGII b's were driven by. The system gave me much enjoyment until I could afford better.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrading stereo-114746280.cgzb9ssg.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Now that Michael kuzni and Jcnash have had some time to cool down, I am going to reopen this thread in case the OP wants some more feedback on his question. But please keep it civil or we will be forced to re-close this thread again.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Glyn a few months ago I think you posted a audio forum with good information? If it was you would you post it again I want to learn more since I want to know what the heck all of you are talking about
Old 10-22-2011, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Glyn a few months ago I think you posted a audio forum with good information? If it was you would you post it again I want to learn more since I want to know what the heck all of you are talking about
Trey,

Check out this thread. It has some info, pics, and links to other threads with more info.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...subwoofer.html

Also if youre so inclined to learn more, check out www.audiokarma.org. Great forum with more info than you could every want.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by samaritrey
Trey - I recommend you read "The Absolute Sound" magazine. It's the best High End audio magazine out there. You can get it electronically for about $15 a year if you don't like hard copies.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/magazines/
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Thanks guys lots of reading to do lol
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I am not that technical, and while I like music, I am not an audiophile. Bose has always sounded good to me as I suspect it does to most in the general population.

To answer Tommy's question, yes, I'd go with Bose.
Me too! I know nothing about audio but Bose advertises everywhere! They must be good! ;-)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by efzauner
Me too! I know nothing about audio but Bose advertises everywhere! They must be good! ;-)
If it sounds good to me.. you have no point. Not everyone is a critic.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:42 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
If it sounds good to me.. you have no point. Not everyone is a critic.
Not entirely. If you have no knowledge of how to judge the merits of something, whether it is audio, a car, a tool, paint, or good sex for that matter, then your opinion is just that, opinion with no basis in fact.
This is car forum. I am sure you think your MB is a pretty good performing car. What would you say if someone said "I drive a 1980 toyota corolla, its a very good handling car! Handles real well for me. " You would easily be able to point out the handling flaws in such a car compared to a newer sports sedan right? why? because you know what understeer and oversteer is, how to judge braking in wet and dry conditions, You may take it to a test track and do some laps etc. You have the basic knowledge of how to measure a car's handling.

Same is with Bose speakers vs other brands.

How do you know you are actually getting good sound? Have you learned how to judge frequency response? Low frequency extension? Distortion? Imaging? Have you compared your Bose system to others of equal cost? Has someone pointed out the flaws, of one system vs another. With Bose you cannot. The company has very strict rules on side by side comparison. I know. I was a Bose dealer. Bose wants to control everything about the image of their products to the point of not allowing tests. Consumer reports was sued by Bose for doing a test report!
Systems costing half the price regularly outperformed the Bose systems.

Yes, Bose systems are pleasing to the ear at low listening levels to those that don't know what accurate sound reproduciton is. Just like older large American cars are pleasing to drive. Grandma said it handles great! Yet, those cars have very poor handling characteristics.

have a read here
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

and here
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

Last edited by efzauner; 10-31-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:12 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by Pope
I have a 2004 C240 with factory radio. (Not Bose), I do have 6 disc changer though. I was looking in my trunk and found the wiring and bracket for the Bose amplifier. So my question is, if i were to pick up a Bose amp and subwoofer from ebay or whatnot, will I be able to install it into my car easily, or will I run into issues?

there are a number of ways to improve the car audio system.

1: replace your front and rear door speakers with better ones
2: add a 4 channel power amp running from the high level speaker wires. This will allow you to run more bass since the EOM HU is power output limited
3: add a subwoofer in your trunk. or as i have done, I built a shelf/box under the rear tray and it fires up into the cabin thru the exising sub cutouts. Lots and lots of work! Not for beginner in car audio. There is foam under the shelf that you have to cut out remove first and removing the rear tray is a PITA.
4: you can add aftermarked processors such as the JBL MS-8 that takes your speaker level outputs and does frequency and time delay correction.
5: replace your head unit alltogether.

Just a note. that rear bose sub is not really a subwoofer, just a plain woofer designed to be thin and play in the trunk without an enclosure (called a free air speaker- it is stiff enough not to need a sealed box to provide stiffness).
here is a look at one. because it has no box, it is rather boomy.. just what people like to hear! not necessarily quality bass.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...subwoofer.html
Old 10-31-2011, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not entirely. If you have no knowledge of how to judge the merits of something, whether it is audio, a car, a tool, paint, or good sex for that matter, then your opinion is just that, opinion with no basis in fact.
This is car forum. I am sure you think your MB is a pretty good performing car. What would you say if someone said "I drive a 1980 toyota corolla, its a very good handling car! Handles real well for me. " You would easily be able to point out the handling flaws in such a car compared to a newer sports sedan right? why? because you know what understeer and oversteer is, how to judge braking in wet and dry conditions, You may take it to a test track and do some laps etc. You have the basic knowledge of how to measure a car's handling.

How do you know you are actually getting good sound? Have you learned how to judge frequency response? Low frequency extension? Distortion? Imaging? Have you compared your Bose system to others of equal cost? Has someone pointed out the flaws, of one system vs another. With Bose you cannot. The company has very strict rules on side by side comparison. I know. I was a Bose dealer. Bose wants to control everything about the image of their products to the point of not allowing tests. Consumer reports was sued by Bose for doing a test report!

Yes, Bose systems are pleasing to the ear at low listening levels to those that don't know what accurate sound reproduciton is. Just like older large American cars are pleasing to drive. Grandma said it handles great! Yet, those cars have very poor handling characteristics.
You completely miss the point. Audio is obviously a passion for you whereas it is not for me. My experience with Bose tells me that I like how it sounds, I don't care if I cannot justify that with technical specifications - honestly, really?

If someone is happy with their 1980s Corolla, more power to them. It has no effect on me. Sure, I think my car is better but not everyone is an auto enthusiast, either. Let it go and stop acting as though you have something to prove. Several other very knowledgeable audiophiles have posted in this thread without coming across as condescending.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

have a read here
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

and here
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html
what happened there? i didn't even know they sold aftermarket mobile audio. in fact, never even heard of any small business being a dealer. at the price point that bose is at (if they do sell aftermarket equipment) they are absolute crap.

Last edited by MIKESV8; 10-31-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ Independent Bose dealers do exist...and who said anything about mobile audio? He's talking about home systems.

Yep there is no doubt that Bose is overpriced for the quality of product they sell. But if someone likes the sound that a Bose system produces and is willing to pay their inflated prices...then why not? Some of their patented technology is not too shabby (radio frequency remote controls that allow you to control your system from the yard, direct reflecting speakers, noise cancelling headphones, wireless zone 2 sound extension)...not bad at all.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:59 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
^ Independent Bose dealers do exist...and who said anything about mobile audio? He's talking about home systems.

Yep there is no doubt that Bose is overpriced for the quality of product they sell. But if someone likes the sound that a Bose system produces and is willing to pay their inflated prices...then why not? Some of their patented technology is not too shabby (radio frequency remote controls that allow you to control your system from the yard, direct reflecting speakers, noise cancelling headphones, wireless zone 2 sound extension)...not bad at all.
Correct I had a consumer audio store, I sold TVs, HomeTheatre, Cameras, camcorders, Car Audio and Car performance accessories.
The only thing I do grant to Bose for their HT systems is simplicity. Most consumers use 5 percent of all the adjustments in a typical HT system.

And to those that don't like my comments: I only post on subjects that I believe I have a good understanding of, subjects that I have researched, subjects I can make a meaningfull contribution to. I believe more members should think a bit before posting. Are they really helping the original poster? Or are they just confusing them?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And to those that don't like my comments: I only post on subjects that I believe I have a good understanding of, subjects that I have researched, subjects I can make a meaningfull contribution to. I believe more members should think a bit before posting. Are they really helping the original poster? Or are they just confusing them?
Let me explain what is not helpful:

That is coming to a thread and attacking someone's tastes when they don't agree with your own. When someone, like myself, said "I like Bose" that's all it means, that I, myself, like Bose. You read that as "I like Bose and that makes Bose superior to all else" and then it becomes a pissing match where you have to prove why you believe Bose sucks. I do not have to justify liking Bose no more than I have to justify liking Cinnabon. Maybe it's not the best, but I like it.

To each his own.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Mmm, I like Cinnabon, too.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Correct I had a consumer audio store, I sold TVs, HomeTheatre, Cameras, camcorders, Car Audio and Car performance accessories.
The only thing I do grant to Bose for their HT systems is simplicity. Most consumers use 5 percent of all the adjustments in a typical HT system.

You clearly know more than the average consumer about HT.

But yeah LILBENZ is right...this entire forum is used to express OPINIONS. Not establish who/what is better than the other. Dont worry it took me a bit of getting used to initially as well...youre doing fine so far!!

What Bose equipment did you sell? 901 speakers by any chance?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tommy
Mmm, I like Cinnabon, too.
LOL...tommy you should change your forum handle to tommytroll

Hey did you ever make it up to Canada for that Subaru meet you were talking about?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

LOL...tommy you should change your forum handle to tommytroll

Hey did you ever make it up to Canada for that Subaru meet you were talking about?
I was trying to lighten the mood of this thread a little; it's approaching the "my dad can beat up your dad" level.

It was a CRX meet, and yes, it was great - always fun to see people I've talked to in the CRX forums for years. However, it's now in the garage, awaiting a new clutch install; when I get my custom made motor mounts (they'll look pretty but will never be seen - not sure why I bothered!), everything will get swapped in long enough to remove some winter projects (will remove the rollbar to get it powdercoated, thinking of trying to mount Magic Racing cf motorcycle side mirrors, and a couple of other little things like a subfloor for the rear hatch for the Odyssey battery and sub). If it's not the Benz, it's the CRX, but at least they keep me busy.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was trying to lighten the mood of this thread a little; it's approaching the "my dad can beat up your dad" level.
I know...lol.

Its crazy how the "hottest" thread on a car forum is about home audio

It was a CRX meet, and yes, it was great - always fun to see people I've talked to in the CRX forums for years. However, it's now in the garage, awaiting a new clutch install; when I get my custom made motor mounts (they'll look pretty but will never be seen - not sure why I bothered!), everything will get swapped in long enough to remove some winter projects (will remove the rollbar to get it powdercoated, thinking of trying to mount Magic Racing cf motorcycle side mirrors, and a couple of other little things like a subfloor for the rear hatch for the Odyssey battery and sub). If it's not the Benz, it's the CRX, but at least they keep me busy.
Sorry...I thought you said WRX and hence figured it was a Subaru meet. My buddy has a CRX and he has modded the hell out of it. Its essentially a 1-seater go-kart and goes like a rocket. Theyre terrific! Let me know if youre in the area next time...itd be great to meet some MBWers in person.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Oh shoot I didn't even realize we started talking about home audio. cool, and I just went to a home audio show too.haha pics of $100,000 crazy looking speakers anyone?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Sorry...I thought you said WRX and hence figured it was a Subaru meet. My buddy has a CRX and he has modded the hell out of it. Its essentially a 1-seater go-kart and goes like a rocket. Theyre terrific! Let me know if youre in the area next time...itd be great to meet some MBWers in person.
I'll be up next July for the next meet. Will definitely let you know. You should start planning what parts you want me to sneak over the border then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading stereo