C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

headliner in the rear is starting to droop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01' c240 6speed (totalled)
headliner in the rear is starting to droop

Hi all,
I just noticed that my headliner in the rear near my rear headrests is starting to droop and fall a bit. Does anyone know any tips on how to fix that or the cost of getting new headlining? Id like to get black suede if i can find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I think that someone here paid $1500 for one in alcantara a year or two ago.

Mine is doing the same thing as yours. Sucks. The one in my Honda is fine after 22 years. Hmmm...
Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 c230SS
is it due to driving with sunroof opened?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Saab 900 SE
call an upholstry shop they usually can re glue them for like under 200
Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 PM

01' c240 6speed (totalled)
Originally Posted by AdidasC230
call an upholstry shop they usually can re glue them for like under 200
thanks guys. no i dont have a sunroof (wish i had one). I will look into calling an upholstery shop. I wanted to do it in suede, but i dont need it in suede. haha
Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Originally Posted by mcjuga
thanks guys. no i dont have a sunroof (wish i had one). I will look into calling an upholstery shop. I wanted to do it in suede, but i dont need it in suede. haha
On the other hand, now would be a good time to do suede since an upholstery shop will be monkeying with it!

I've heard of people accessing the back of the headliner and spraying spray glue between the headliner and the roof. I don't know how that would be done on a Mercedes, but it would be worth a try if you can roll some rubber molding (or whatever is holding up the headliner) out of the way. If not, the upholstery shop is your next stop.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Mine in the Coupe is doing essentially the same thing. However, after looking at it closely, I am pretty sure that it is not the fabric pulling from the board, but it is actually the "board" for a lack of better term...sagging in the middle.

I have been considering the idea of a small wad of silicone right in the middle, it doesn't seem like it would take a lot to hold it in place.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Saab 900 SE
Originally Posted by MW_ATL
Mine in the Coupe is doing essentially the same thing. However, after looking at it closely, I am pretty sure that it is not the fabric pulling from the board, but it is actually the "board" for a lack of better term...sagging in the middle.

I have been considering the idea of a small wad of silicone right in the middle, it doesn't seem like it would take a lot to hold it in place.
If its sagging you can glue it back up, the whole thing is glued to the ceiling anyways
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I replaced mine DIY on a Peugeot for about $150 for glue & material. It just takes some planning , time & an offsider.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Originally Posted by AdidasC230
If its sagging you can glue it back up, the whole thing is glued to the ceiling anyways
Interesting. I was under the impression from what I have read on here that it is fabric glued to a formed press-board which is essentially held in place by the interference fit with the other trim pieces plus a few attachement points (i.e. rear passenger light, center console up by the mirror and IMS, if so equipped). But when I read threads on IMS install I wasn't really interested in the headliner attachemnt at the time, so I may be wrong.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 AM

Saab 900 SE
Interesting. I was under the impression from what I have read on here that it is fabric glued to a formed press-board which is essentially held in place by the interference fit with the other trim pieces plus a few attachement points (i.e. rear passenger light, center console up by the mirror and IMS, if so equipped). But when I read threads on IMS install I wasn't really interested in the headliner attachemnt at the time, so I may be wrong.
Im just going on what the guy told me at the shop, I asked him, he said that there was still glue on the other side to...I assume its so it doesn't deform once side to another
Old 11-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203

I removed my entire headliner to cover it in suede, what a PITA, never again. One of the downsides was that after reinstalling the headliner it always drooped at the rear. If you look you'll see why - noting holds it up other than being tucked into the rubber seal of the hatch, and over time that doesn't work so well.

I pulled down the headliner and put a short bead of body mold silicone glue, then taped it up till it set. No more droop, and I'm never taking the headliner out again so I don't care.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM

2024 EQE Sedan (on order)
My 2001 C240 HL was also drooping badly. The formed fiber backing was okay, as was teh cloth tht you can see. Turns out that in between those elements is a thin layer of foam material. The foam eventually deteriorates - faster if it's hot and humid, I think. The deteriorated foan is still in the interface, so just regluing is not ikely to work very well.

I bought an OEM replacement headliner and installed it. MAJOR PITA. Here's what has to come off to replace the headliner (no I'm not joking):

1. A, B, and C pillar covers
2. All four grab handles
3. Front overhead cluster, with RV mirror mount, rain detector, and sun visors, including vanity lights
4. Seat belts
5. Rear seats
6. All trim on the left side of the truck (to access the electrical connectors)
7. All of the inner weatherstrips on the doors
8. The center console (shifter, cupholder, etc) has t be removed or there isn't enough space to get the new H/L (that you really do not want to crease) into the car.
9. The wiring to the sunroof, etc
I think I could do the job the second time in under 12 hours, but I sure don't want to.