C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Front License Bracket Part Number - got another ticket!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Bracket Part Number - got another ticket!

I've gotten 2 tickets already in the last week for not having a front license plate. They are being really aggressive here in Southern California. I heard that the fine has been raised to 100.00 too. Luckily both of my tickets are 25 each. But still it adds up.

So I think i have to give in and mount the stupid thing. However, I checked my car, and I dont have a front license plate bracket. And my dealer informed me that I have to buy it from them for 50 bucks. Terrific...and then to charge me labor to drill holes in the bumper.

Does anyone know the part number of the license plate bracket. I was figuring to order it online and do it myself.

Also, I've seen some people mount the bracket without drilling. How is this done?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Was the car delivered without a front plate?
Did you ask not to have it mounted?

If it was the first, they must put it on for free....and it should have come with the car...

Erik
Old 06-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Almost a Member!

unfotunately, I bought the car used from someone here. It was originally purchased in florida (thus no front license plate)
Old 06-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Re: Front License Bracket Part Number - got another ticket!

Originally posted by spchaser
I've gotten 2 tickets already in the last week for not having a front license plate. They are being really aggressive here in Southern California. I heard that the fine has been raised to 100.00 too. Luckily both of my tickets are 25 each. But still it adds up.

So I think i have to give in and mount the stupid thing. However, I checked my car, and I dont have a front license plate bracket. And my dealer informed me that I have to buy it from them for 50 bucks. Terrific...and then to charge me labor to drill holes in the bumper.

Does anyone know the part number of the license plate bracket. I was figuring to order it online and do it myself.

Also, I've seen some people mount the bracket without drilling. How is this done?
where in so cal that you got the tickets?

when I bought the car, they gave me the bracket and my salespeerson told me I can bring it back to install it free of charge.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Re: Front License Bracket Part Number - got another ticket!

Originally posted by spchaser

I told all ya before!! I got so many this year that I just got tired of it and slapped that front plate on! Damn so cal cops!
Old 06-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

so i gave in this morning and went to the dealer and had them install it. At least they did it for free - it was hurtful to watch them punch holes into the pristine brilliant silver bumper...but it had to be done.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:24 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
didnt know the front bracket require drilling holes in bumper! i thought it somehow hook onto the front bumper....hmmm
Old 06-24-2003, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Where did you guys get those tickets at? I've not gotten one yet (fingers crossed) and it's been 8 months since I got my car.

Btw, if I do get them I have plans to stick on the plate without having to drill a hole. It'd be temporary only though. After I'm out of the lot I'd take it off.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:59 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Once you mount it, put a smoked cover on it, so it doesn't stand out so much (at least on a dark car). Not sure if that's legal in CA or not, I know many people have them up here in OR.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:08 PM
moomeh

i don't know if it is required here and don't care. i have the bracket in the trunk. it looks like it doesn't need holes. it just grabs the front bumper.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Grom
i am in florida. They put the bracket in the trunk of the car along with the first aid kit.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by tberry
didnt know the front bracket require drilling holes in bumper! i thought it somehow hook onto the front bumper....hmmm
yeah, you have to drill holes in order for the thing to hold. On AndyC32's car he had the front bracket and when he removed it it left 4-5 holes.

there's only one car in my family that has the front license plate, which is the minivan. all other car have no front plate, but we always kept the bracket and license plate just in case. A good "officer, i'm on my way to get it mounted. look, it's all here" hopefully will do the trick...hehe

anyways, I don't think that they will intentionally pull you over for now having the front plate unless they caught you in some other violation.

btw, I'm wonder where did you guys get those tickets in SoCal? The only one we got was from the LAX for the ML430, but it was only a $25 dollar ticket, not a fix it ticket. The ML was parked in the parking structure and got a ticket, we weren't even there. Also, it must have been some a-hole cop too because the front of the car was facing the wall, there was no way he could've seen we have no front plate unless he walked up to it.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:53 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Anything for a little extra $$$

Parking ****'s suck!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Almost a Member!

i got the tickets in Santa Monica, and then 4 days later in West Los Angeles. Both were 25.00 dollar tickets

My brother's friend got one last week in Santa Monica, it was 100.00
Old 06-24-2003, 11:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I've been to Santa Monica often, but I never had any problem. could be just an a-hole cop or u guys were cruising or something. don't they now have no cruising zone or some **** like that
Old 06-26-2003, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Bracket?

2 years 4 months in So Ca with no front license plate and no ticket. A cop in Oregon warned us though. Someone has to come up with a way to mount the standard bracket with no holes or glue to the bumper cover. Sounds like a business opportunity to me.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:52 AM

2002 C230 Kompressor
you can have mine

spchaser -

you can have mine...if i can find it. i live in georgia where it's not required to have a front plate... i'm not even sure you can GET a front plate. they'd probably make you pay for it! who knows... anyway - i'll take a look around for mine, i know it was in the trunk when i got the car, but i also know that it's not in the trunk now!

i'll let ya know...
Old 06-27-2003, 02:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
anyone know if i cut the License plate can i fit it on the grill?

C230 2002
Old 06-27-2003, 02:35 AM
Almost a Member!

Re: you can have mine

Originally posted by davidasman
spchaser -

you can have mine...if i can find it. i live in georgia where it's not required to have a front plate... i'm not even sure you can GET a front plate. they'd probably make you pay for it! who knows... anyway - i'll take a look around for mine, i know it was in the trunk when i got the car, but i also know that it's not in the trunk now!

i'll let ya know...
much thanks. but i already purchased one and had it done. thanks anyways.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:29 AM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
I took delivery of my C230 this morning (yay!) and they didn't have the bracket installed on the car. I live in Oregon where a front plate is required, so they stuck the bracket in the trunk. I sure like the look of the car better without the front plate on.

On a side note, the dealer already had the plates for my car when I picked it up. I found that quite unusual. I always like driving around w/o plates for a while. Oh well, I'm just happy to have the car!!!