C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Poxy Proximity Sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Question Poxy Proximity Sensors

My front sensors are a bit over sensitive, especially the one on the left hand side. I've cleaned it etc in case there was something blocking it. But still a bit over sensitive. Sometimes it beeps when I'm approaching a wall (parking bay) and the one on the right hand side is not even close to beeping. Will also go off in standstill traffice, only ever the one on the left.

I've noticed this happening gradually over the last month or two.

Is there a reset or something for this?

Last edited by anonymousmoose; 03-31-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
There are not many cars with Parktronic on this forum. Not available/popular in the US on many models.

I have however been told time & time again that there is no sensitivity adjustment with Star. On my last 3 cars the Parktronic has been faultless.

However - with Parktronic active, people walking near the car will trigger it as will coming down a steep slope to ground that flattens out in front of you.

Parktronic sensors can be damaged by pointing pressure washers directly at them so be careful.

Rather than one side being over sensitive I would suspect the other side to have a lazy sensor due to damage or obstruction.

Try rebooting the processor by turning the system on & off with the dash cancelling switch. Otherwise pull the negative terminal of the battery. Only trouble with this is then you are going to have to resynch things like sunroof etc.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-01-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM

Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Ok, it was a better today. Last night I gave them a really good clean. See how it goes.

I do get my car pressure washed by an automatic touch-free wash about once a month. I live in an apartment with no running water in the car park so its easier just to pay the $18 per month. Hopefully that isn't a bad thing for the sensors.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

If it is the typical Aus arched spray bar that tracks around the car & rinses, sprays cleaner, rinses, sprays polish, rinses, applies dewatering/despotting agent etc it will do no harm.

It's more the portable Karcher style pressure washer hand held that can get up really close with very high pressure that will do damage in the wrong hands.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 AM

Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
If it is the typical Aus arched spray bar that tracks around the car & rinses, sprays cleaner, rinses, sprays polish, rinses, applies dewatering/despotting agent etc it will do no harm.
Yeh thats the one. I'm gonna use a car cover when I park my car at work. Sounds extreme but the only car park at work is under some big trees. Every day my car gets some nice bird droppings, tree sap and other colorful leaves stuck on it. I figure if I'm parking 8 hours a day there, I might as well put a cover over the car, even if it looks silly. Better than washing it every single weekend.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 AM

Audi A4 Quattro 2013
It took a while (mainly because I kept putting the booking off as its such a minor fault).

The Jaguar workshop (I bought the car from a non-Benz dealer) couldn't officially diagnose the issue with their diagnostic equipment so I went to a small but licensed Mercedes workshop (very nice people, they have an MB dealers licence but don't sell cars. I'll go to them next time for my service). They diagnosed the fault officially and the warranty company (worth its weight in gold that warranty) is paying it. One more 45 min booking and my new front sensors will be painted and installed.

NOTE: to any Aussies buying a Benz or any car, send me a PM regarding an after-market warranty. The one I bought is truly worth every penny (No I'm not a reseller trying to flog a warranty).

Last edited by anonymousmoose; 06-03-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Good news! Bit of a fiddly job. Are they replacing all 6 sensors or have they identified which sensors are lazy?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 AM

Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Good news! Bit of a fiddly job. Are they replacing all 6 sensors or have they identified which sensors are lazy?
Looking at the car from the outside from the front, its the right hand sensors. I believe all three.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 AM

Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Just an update; all fixed (so far so good). Mercedes replaced the front right sensors (looking at the car head-on) today. Only took 45 minutes. Pity as I was reading a nice AMG book with logs of classic AMG photos. I'll be using this non-car-selling dealer in the future. Staff are very nice and they don't try to sell you a new car because they dont sell car :-)

I was going to ask how much it cost to do the job but I didn't bother. Wasn't the right moment to ask because everyone looked very busy.