C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 replacing head unit with JVC double Din

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question W203 replacing head unit with JVC double Din

Only when taking my JVC unit to BestBuy to install on my 2002 C320, I came to know that the head unit communicates to the Amp through a optical interface.

Is there any way I could replace my MB Bose Amp with a Mazda/Cadillac/GM Bose Amplifier without the Optical interface and plug in my JVC unit?

I really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 PM

I was thinking about picking one of these which has at-least 6 channels and no fiber optic input.

Then adding a interface
like this like this
between the JVC Head unit and the Amp.

Please let me know if this wouldn't work.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Search the form, all your questions have been answer multiple times and I know that because I had searched for similar questions when I replaced my head units. Just letting you know though your whole system is probably going to need to be rewired if you have the Bose amp because you have a fiber optic system, or is that only in the HKs? Im not to sure about that so search the form. Bestbuy wont do it though, your going to need to take it to a audio shop that knows more about cars then bestbuy. I have a alpine and a sony speaker amp FS right know though Alpines brand new and the sonys used but still works. leme no if you want to get one of them the links in my signature.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Peydidy
Search the form, all your questions have been answer multiple times and I know that because I had searched for similar questions when I replaced my head units. Just letting you know though your whole system is probably going to need to be rewired if you have the Bose amp because you have a fiber optic system, or is that only in the HKs? Im not to sure about that so search the form. Bestbuy wont do it though, your going to need to take it to a audio shop that knows more about cars then bestbuy. I have a alpine and a sony speaker amp FS right know though Alpines brand new and the sonys used but still works. leme no if you want to get one of them the links in my signature.
I did search for the posts and found lots of threads and replies. But none of them tried to replace the fiber optic interface Bose Amp with copper wired Bose Amp made for other make/Model cars. That's what I was trying to ask..

Thanks for the links and your info.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
the only thing fiber optic should be the signal between the amp and the h/u and the cd changer...so if your replacing the h/u just get a normal amp
Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by maverik259
the only thing fiber optic should be the signal between the amp and the h/u and the cd changer...so if your replacing the h/u just get a normal amp
It would be awesome if that's the case. But I have a doubt that the wire running from the head unit to the amp in my trunk is a Fiber and I may have to run all the wires from my head unit to the amp location and replace the amp with a older one or similar Bose one which takes wire inputs instead of fiber.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to reply.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
wait what? you just said they told you it was connected by optical cable...and if you have an amp, then all the speaker wires should be going back to it anyway...and it only takes maybe an hour to run wires down the side of your car...i did it about a week ago to install my rear view camera...didnt even have to undo the back seat if you go down the passenger side...just unsnap the side shoulder of the rear seat and have the trunk open and the liner loosened in the truck on the right side and you should see daylight...just attach the wires to a hanger or something and push it towards the light, then go to trunk and pull it through, all the kick plates just unsnap, the only screws belong to front dash and under glove box...but ya no biggy...i honestly dont trust any shop to undo parts of my car and put them back together, i wont lie though the first time i installed a ddin i had a shop do the wiring just b/c i was lazy and didnt want to mess with all them wires, nor did i have all the supplies to do it correctly...but i had the amp already hooked up and all the wires run to behind the dash, just let them do all the connecting and crimping etc...

but ya im not really sure what your trying to accomplish if you doubt the wire connecting the amp to your stock unit is optical (thought you said it was) and if its not then why are you replacing exactly?...not too mention the set up of a typical aftermarket amp is gonna be a lot easier on your patience than trying to configure a factory amp that was not manufactured for your harness or set up...just my .02c...but good luck
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Wow you make it look so simple.. I bought a JVC Double Din kit with camera and went to BestBuy to fit it. I was told that the head unit currently is connected to an amp to drive the Bose speakers and that wire is a optical wire. The only option for me was to run wires from all the speakers (after replacing the speakers to non Bose) to the head unit. And they quoted me $550 for just fitting the JVC I purchased.

I wanted to see if I could replace the current Fiber optic Bose Amp to a non Optical one and run wires from my JVC through a audio leveler interface to the Copper Wired Bose Amp and keep the Bose speakers.

But, what I wasn't sure about was if the Amp has optical only interface or not. Many posts says that the Head Unit has a optical connector but runs only to the CD - if that's the case, I wouldn't even need to get a used Bose Amp with copper wire connector.

Thank you so much again.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:58 AM

1999 C230 Kompressor/1993 300E
Originally Posted by tcsekhar
Wow you make it look so simple.. I bought a JVC Double Din kit with camera and went to BestBuy to fit it. I was told that the head unit currently is connected to an amp to drive the Bose speakers and that wire is a optical wire. The only option for me was to run wires from all the speakers (after replacing the speakers to non Bose) to the head unit. And they quoted me $550 for just fitting the JVC I purchased.

I wanted to see if I could replace the current Fiber optic Bose Amp to a non Optical one and run wires from my JVC through a audio leveler interface to the Copper Wired Bose Amp and keep the Bose speakers.

But, what I wasn't sure about was if the Amp has optical only interface or not. Many posts says that the Head Unit has a optical connector but runs only to the CD - if that's the case, I wouldn't even need to get a used Bose Amp with copper wire connector.

Thank you so much again.
That is correct!!!! from H/U to CD player