C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How much $$$ to reset SRS Air Bag Code?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320, SLK230, T1N Sprinter
How much $$$ to reset SRS Air Bag Code?

My upholstery guy fell through to re-cover my headliner in my '02 C320 Wagon, and the next in line wants enough extra $$ to cover re-setting the SRS light if he accidentally triggers it R+R'ing the headliner. He saw the "SRS" label on my "C" Pillar when he looked, and raised the price!

He said the dealers charge $400 to reset the light, which seems outrageous to me, but he says they do it because of the liability.

Of course, he wants to add that to the cost of the job whether or not he sets it off.

Anyone know HOW much the dealer WOULD charge to do it (since I understand ONLY the dealership has the software to reset that particular fault, which could ALSO be "BS."

The first guy said he would accept if I sign a waiver absolving him if he set it off (so was quoting $200 for the job).

This shop won't, and wants $600 to cover a reset if necessary. I will try to find another shop that WILL accept signing away my rights of recovery if they set an SRS Code, but I'd like to know what teh damages WOULD be if it comes to that.

Thanks,
Bob
BTW, The first guy only had it happen ONCE on a Mitsubishi Diamonte, and the dealership dispatched a guy for $300 plus $85 transportation charge.
Hopefully it's very rare to trigger an SRS code. The fellow said that there were no pinched wires or anything, and that when he re-connected the battery, the SRS warning wouldn't go out. The dealership did a "reset" and everything was fine. No damage at all. Just a computer brain fart.

Last edited by bobinyelm; 07-28-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 Kompressor Wagon
I recently read out the error codes and reset for 377 SEK ($50), and I would imagine U.S being cheaper on all things automotive.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
That guy is an idiot. My mechanics never ask me for extra money in case they break something. If he can't do his job and not trigger an SRS code, perhaps he should not be in business.

But to answer your question, $400 is way high.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
That guy is an idiot. My mechanics never ask me for extra money in case they break something. If he can't do his job and not trigger an SRS code, perhaps he should not be in business.

But to answer your question, $400 is way high.
Agreed, at most a stealer would charge $120 to plug in the laptop and press the all clear button. However, being stealers you never know if they are going to jerk your chain on other matters.

Ed
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanks-

I am dropping my car at an upholstery shop later this week and hopefully all will go smoothly. If they don't mind me hanging around, I'll try to get some pictures of any tough spots.

I am not having the sliding inner cover of the sun/moon roof done because to do that requires sunroof removal according to the shop, and that would cost me a lot more.

Bob
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

SpeedRiven SL600, ML320CDI
You guys in US have too much spare $$$. I just cannot imagine charging more than 80$ here in Toronto to plug-in STAR and reset the light...

Igor.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 PM

Trust me, it's not by choice!

When I bought a second key for my car (it came w/ one), I had to search for a dealership that did not add $125 EXTRA to "test the key" when it came in from district headquarters where it was made.

I thought $250 for a key was bad enough, but the other dealers wanted $375, saying that they could not release a key without checking it in the ignition and the door before releasing it to me, and the minimum charge was one hour's labor for inserting it and twisting it to make sure the car started!

My cousin was just charges $2700 to replace the alternator on he 2002 Range Rover by the dealership in Maryland! Insane! And yes, I know the water cooled alternators on some 7-Series BMWs can cost $4000, but this was not one of those.

Bob

Last edited by bobinyelm; 07-30-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

SpeedRiven SL600, ML320CDI
I should be thinking about expanding my shop to the US - I would be rich by now with those service costs I know it is not by choice, just the fact that not too many people can compete with MB dealerships down south...

Igor.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by AccelToronto
I should be thinking about expanding my shop to the US - I would be rich by now with those service costs I know it is not by choice, just the fact that not too many people can compete with MB dealerships down south...

Igor.
A good friend of mine has an independent import shop in Olympia, WA, and working in a small shop (just he and a helper) on his property can clear as much as $6k a week by pricing himself below the dealerships in the area, mostly on German cars, w/ some Japanese thrown in.

He explains that he is not so much a mechanic as a surgeon, carefully cutting the money out of his customers' wallets without shedding blood, or causing too much pain.

He's honest, and does a superb job, so has a loyal customer base that he's built by word-of-mouth over the lat 15 years.

Bob
He was dealer trained on BMWs and worked several year at an independent MB shop, plus he's just a natural.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
My mechanics never ask me for extra money in case they break something
Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 AM

In this case, the fellow was simply quoting me a price based on the fact I was willing to accept the risk that despite good technique, a SRS code could result. In exchange I was getting a much better price.

Every upholstery shop I've contacted has mentioned the risk of an air bag warning. The shop I am now using (the fist guy couldn't do the job because he got a job offer out of the area) is charging 50% more for the same job, presumably to cover the risk of the SRS issue (which he mentioned).

Frankly, if there IS a risk, I wouldn't expect someone charging significantly less to shoulder the risk at his expense if he's up front about it, and explains his pricing in advance, allowing the customer to make the choice.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a risk at any time that something could go wrong. My car is in the shop getting its timing chain replaced. The risk is that if it isn't perfect when the mechanic starts the car, the engine could be heavily damaged. He isn't charging me an extra $3500 in case he has to rebuild the top end of the engine.

This is a shady practice. I would never pay someone more in case they broke something. If they break it, they fix it.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:26 AM

I hear you, but if the cost of the consequences of the breakage is great, and the cost of the repair is little, as a shop I would either RAISE the price of the repair, or choose NOT to do that repair. That is the right of the shop.

In this case, the going rate for my repair in Dallas is $750 ($450 normally, but $750 w/ sun roof). That is TOO high for me.

So I found a fellow who is experienced who would do the job for $200, but with the caveat that if the worst happens, I pay for the reset. I know the reset is LESS than the $550 difference (how much I'm not sure).

He is out from under the liability, and I am out from under the high cost. I checked this fellow's reputation and he's GOOD. So I am willing to take on the responsibility of a computer code. Seems fair to me because he gave me the choice, and I took it.

Would I do this if it were a timing chain, and the consequences were possibly a destroyed engine? Hell no.

As it turned out the fellow got a job offer out of town so can't do the job, and I found a shop who will do it for an extra $100. They voiced concern over the Air Bags as well, but we didn't discuss liability. Since they are operating a reasonably large shop, and don't want to go to small claims court, I'll take the chance that IF the air bag throws a code, they will take care of it. I could have pinned them down, but I'd probably have sounded like a PITA customer, and they'd probably have told me to go elsewhere.

There's a price for everything.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was simply making a point. I have never heard of someone in the business of car repair charging more -in case- they mess up. That makes no sense to me regardless of price. I have two very good independent mechanics that are extremely reasonable for repairs and it is understood that they are liable for damages the car incurs under their care.

They assume this liability because they are skilled mechanics and thus a disaster is unlikely. This whole "I don't want to be liable" thing is a fancy way of saying "I am incompetent".

But I hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction and that he does not trigger an SRS code. As long as he doesn't disconnect anything he shouldn't have that problem.