C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Shaking in steering wheel all over when decelerating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C320
Shaking in steering wheel all over when decelerating

I bought a 2001 C320 with 104k miles on it a few weeks ago. Since then I've put 4 brand new tires on and got them balanced.

But for some reason, I'm still getting a little shake around 50 to 60 while accelerating and a little from 90 to 100 while accelerating.

Once I get up to say 100, and let my foot off the gas completely and just coast, my car is really shaking. I can feel it in the steering wheel and throughout the car. Similar to how warped rotors feel when you brake, but that's the thing, I'm not braking. I'm just coasting.

Any solutions to this? It drives me nuts. My old Jetta had a smoother ride than this car and I beat the hell out of it.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
if you have new balanced tires I will assume that they are ok. The other potential problem is a bent rim.
If you rule out wheel/tire problmes, shaking is often due to worn steering tie rod or lower A arm. It is speed/accelation sentitive because it only shakes when it is lightly loaded.
Raise the front of the car and using a large screwdriver see if there is any play in the ball joints. Both are easy to replace as DIY. If you do relplace, get a wheel allinement after!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C230K Sedan
your rim is bent, mercedes rims bend really easily. Get you some nice aftermarket rims. My rims are all bend from driving around New Orleans. i have balanced my rims week after week at my buddies tire shop to try to fix it. Its not possible with low profile tires. most likely it is your two front rims. If you want to make sure its bent, just go get your tires balanced and they person who balance can tell you right away once the machine starts spinning.

2nd culprit is you might need to bleed your brakes correctly if your getting the problem when your braking, but you said coasting, so it sounds more like the rims and tires not being balanced. Mine does the same thing around the speed your posted.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 PM

W203 C320
Originally Posted by hahaitzmickey
your rim is bent, mercedes rims bend really easily. Get you some nice aftermarket rims. My rims are all bend from driving around New Orleans. i have balanced my rims week after week at my buddies tire shop to try to fix it. Its not possible with low profile tires. most likely it is your two front rims. If you want to make sure its bent, just go get your tires balanced and they person who balance can tell you right away once the machine starts spinning.

2nd culprit is you might need to bleed your brakes correctly if your getting the problem when your braking, but you said coasting, so it sounds more like the rims and tires not being balanced. Mine does the same thing around the speed your posted.
When I bought my new tires, they balanced them and checked to see if I had a bent rim. They were real cool guys and would have made money off me if my rim was bent.

It's not when braking, just when coasting and between 50-60 it's bad. I feel like I'm driving around a dodge neon. This car should not be shaking at 110+, but even worse 50. My Jetta rides smoother than butter at 125. This car is hard to handle faster than 100. Makes me sad because it has more *****. Will do whatever to fix it.

I'm like an hour and a half from you. Finally someone near me. Just moved to the gulf coast and I feel like no one works on cars or bikes around here.

Thanks for the tips man.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
It could be just about anything worn/loose/broken in the front or back suspension. Lower strut bushings are a common failure item and if they haven't been replaced yet they should be absolutely demolished by now. To check for abnormal operation of the suspension lift both front wheels and grab one at both 12:00 and 6:00 and manhandle to feel for looseness. Do it again at 3:00 and 9:00. You'll hear clicks or feel play then trace it down. Do the same with the rear suspension. I doubt alignment or wheel balance is the source of your problem. I'm at 180k miles on my C320 and it's smooth and solid at any speed, so should yours be. I've also replaced the strut bushings twice.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 AM

C230K Sedan
Awesome, I actually live in Biloxi. But you should also check your bushing and special that tie rod and control arm as well. Make sure yours is still in all there. If you can stick your hand around it and some black rubber starts coming off around that tie rod. It means its time to get new ones. If you also see it coming loose its time to get new ones. Check your inner and outer. If you notice when you come to a stop and it makes like a squeaky noise. Its means one of those control arms bushing has gone bad its rubbing. All loose and worn suspension can be a factor, but I believe the culprit is those bent rims. My buddy owns a shop in Long Beach and I go there religiously trying to figure out how to stop this vibration when I speed up to around 60 to 80 mph. Its horrible, I know what you mean. For me its just a matter of buying a new car. Good Luck, let me know if I can be any assist to you if your working on any other maintence on your car.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Change out front wheels to rear & see if there is any change. It may rule out your new tyres ?.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
I've developed this problem too, new struts, brakes, tires( three different balance shops with a road force). I'm wondering if I am developing a wheel bearing problem. Everything else checked out ok. Same speed, but no noise...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM

C230K Sedan
Originally Posted by Carsy
Change out front wheels to rear & see if there is any change. It may rule out your new tyres ?.

You can't rotate the wheels if your have a Kompressor, its different size. Plus it would vibrate in the back if you did. This is a RWD.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Thanks for pointing that out. Less flexibility on rotation therefore bad design in my opinion .I would be interested to know the reason for the two sizes ? . Looks & fashion over practicality again ?

If it vibrated at the back & not the front when swapped ,then you would know it was the wheels or tyres surely?

Last edited by Carsy; 09-25-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 AM

C230K Sedan
Originally Posted by Carsy
Thanks for pointing that out. Less flexibility on rotation therefore bad design in my opinion .I would be interested to know the reason for the two sizes ? . Looks & fashion over practicality again ?

If it vibrated at the back & not the front when swapped ,then you would know it was the wheels or tyres surely?

I agree lol.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:04 AM

2001 Mercedes c220 CDI
This happened me and i got problem solved recently. Was my upper suspension arms had gone. got them replaced and sorted the problem.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
Mine is like new now, it was the thrust arm bushings. Wow what a difference!