C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 Tricks, tips, and secrets!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C320
W203 Tricks, tips, and secrets!

Well I'm bored and remember I saw on the Audi forums an Easter Egg thread for the A4's
So here is a similar one for the w203
I understand that there might be few tips and tricks out there for w203's but I could not find one with all of them packed in one thread. This is mostly for the new w203 owners
Feel free to add on the ones I missed!

• Unlock pattern: Hold lock and unlock on your key simultaneously for about 6-8 seconds to change unlock pattern. The light on your key will flash twice 1) One click unlocks all doors 2) first click unlocks driver door second click unlocks the rest
  • Summer Mode: Holding the key next to the infrared sensor on the door then pressing and holding the unlock key will roll down the driver and passenger window including the sunroof - Hold Lock to close windows
  • Lighting: Opening the rear door only turns on the rear dome lights
  • Tunnel Mode: Holding the air circulation button will close your windows, after exiting a tunnel press and hold the button again and it will return your windows to the same open position which they were in previously
  • Heating: Cold out and want the car to stay warm? Well after turning your car off, press the EC Rest button and the A/C will stay on!
  • Dyno Mode: With key in the ignition turn it to the first position which is 1 click to the right. Then press the trip reset button 3 times. Using the "+" "-" controls on the steering wheel scroll down to "ESP Dynamometer Test" then make sure it is "on". Now start your car. I only tested this but from I saw it turns off the ABS and turn the ESP COMPLETELY off. So Careful with this.
  • Trunk: In the trunk, there is a flashing button which unlocks the trunk in case someone is locked in there.
  • Keeping it Cool: There is an A/C in the Arm rest. Put a pop in there during the summer with your A/C blasting and it will keep the drink cool! Make sure its not open!
  • Compartment-ception?: Open the glove compartment and there is another smaller compartment in there which will hold small stuff such as pens, pins, screws, etc!
  • Parking lights: On your headlight switch, to the left of the "0" also known as off position there are two more switches. One turns on the lights on the right side of the car and the other turns on the left side.
  • Rear fog lights: Many people do not know about this but a lot of European cars (if not all) are equipped with rear fog lights. When you pull the headlight switch, first click is for front fog lights, second click is rear fog lights. Please, use the rear fog light during foggy conditions or during a hazard because they are strong and will blind the person behind you.
  • Throttle Reset: First step on the gas pedal fully down to where you feel a bump. Then turn your key all the way without it starting the car on. Make sure your foot is still on the pedal. Now you wait for about 60 secs or so. After that, turn the key to the off position and take key out. Now you can release the gas pedal. Your car will now be more responsive to the throttle!
  • Service Reset: Turn your key to the second position. Bring up your ODO screen using the steering wheel controls. Once there scroll through til' you see the wrench icon. Press and hold the trip reset button for about 5 seconds. It will ask you are you sure you want to reset... Press the button one more time and the reset will be successful.
Im sure there is more but these are the one I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by C320-Cav; 12-16-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no mb
Cool. I'll have to try some of those.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
If I take my car to Fletcher Jones Motor Cars they will take it in the back. It comes back out washed! Gratis!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 PM

2002 c240
Summer Mode: Holding the key next to the infrared sensor on the door then pressing and holding the unlock key will roll down the driver and passenger window including the sunroof - Hold Lock to close windows

that could have been sooo useful to know 2 days ago- I got boxed in by 2 trucks at school(purposely) and had to get 1 of my smaller friends to climb in through the passenger door and pull the car out...If I knew that, I would have just crawled through the window!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM

C320
Originally Posted by ildd
Summer Mode: Holding the key next to the infrared sensor on the door then pressing and holding the unlock key will roll down the driver and passenger window including the sunroof - Hold Lock to close windows

that could have been sooo useful to know 2 days ago- I got boxed in by 2 trucks at school(purposely) and had to get 1 of my smaller friends to climb in through the passenger door and pull the car out...If I knew that, I would have just crawled through the window!
I hate douchebag drivers who do that...A lot of them here in Seattle. Well either way you got your car out! hehe

New tip
Sun Visor: When the sun visor is in the position to cover the window you can actually pull it out towards the back a little more so it covers the complete window.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by C320-Cav
I hate douchebag drivers who do that...A lot of them here in Seattle. Well either way you got your car out! hehe

New tip
Sun Visor: When the sun visor is in the position to cover the window you can actually pull it out towards the back a little more so it covers the complete window.
lol, the only reason i'm not pissed is because both of the people who did it were teammates of mine(H.S. baseball), and there wasn't a single scratch added. Too bad I didn't have the folding seats, That would have been the easiest way to get in.

I will be trying the throttle reset tomorrow or Monday. That could be... useful...somehow. I noticed the Compartment-conception thing about 2 weeks ago when I was cleaning my car. Never used the glovebox for anything, so never thought of that. Enough space to fit a thin phone...and the service reset will hopefully make that awful beeping sound when I start the car go away.

If I think of any tricks(or find them later) I'll make sure to post them here. Only thing I can think of right now is there is a little bit of "Extra compartment" space behind the rear seat cupholder/foldout armchair. And, it is slanted so what you put in there won't fall out if you fold it down.

Last edited by ildd; 12-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
all those are on the 210 E-class. your C-class has other similarities including
adaptive transmission but i'm not certain if you have field resettable function.
tried searching but not seeing this for the Cs:

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

=====

also, if you press the REST button for 10 secs the climate control enters the
self diagnostic phase and allows us to view for climate fault codes as well
as various climate sensor readings. then press the AUTO button to cycle through the sensor readings. does yours have this?

=====
press the climate ^ and v arrows at the same time and it jumps from
whatever temp, to 72 as default
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
Originally Posted by Gavonder
Cool. I'll have to try some of those.
+1
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
I tried the unlock pattern multiple times and couldn't get it to work ... ?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM

C320
Originally Posted by mtnman82
I tried the unlock pattern multiple times and couldn't get it to work ... ?
Im sorry, i forgot to mention that you need to hold the buttons for about 6-8 seconds till the lights flash twice.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see - light on the key fob flashes twice, and I have it unlocking just the driver's door now (and sounds like the trunk too). Very cool that it's a key fob thing, so each driver can have their own way.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Former Member

no mb
I was just looking at all of these in our car -

Heating: Cold out and want the car to stay warm? Well after turning your car off, press the EC Rest button and the A/C will stay on!

What is the EC Rest button?

Compartment-ception?: Open the glove compartment and there is another smaller compartment in there which will hold small stuff such as pens, pins, screws, etc!

Are you talking about the area to the right of the cd changer, or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by Gavonder
Compartment-ception?: Open the glove compartment and there is another smaller compartment in there which will hold small stuff such as pens, pins, screws, etc!

Are you talking about the area to the right of the cd changer, or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks.
Open the glove box. On the part that flips out, look towards the middle edge. there is a little removable flap. Mine is about a 6x3in rounded-corner rectangle and chrome, but I'm not sure about yours.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 AM

C320
Here are a few pictures as a reference to some of the tips and tricks.

Tunnel Mode and Heating:
W203 Tricks, tips, and secrets!-img_0951_zps46d3ed55.jpg

Compartment-ception:
W203 Tricks, tips, and secrets!-img_0950_zps1df072be.jpg

Parking lights:
W203 Tricks, tips, and secrets!-img_0952_zps68004ade.jpgW203 Tricks, tips, and secrets!-img_0963_zps48cd18f5.jpgW203 Tricks, tips, and secrets!-img_0964_zpsb17f36eb.jpg
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM

C320
Originally Posted by ildd
lol, the only reason i'm not pissed is because both of the people who did it were teammates of mine(H.S. baseball), and there wasn't a single scratch added. Too bad I didn't have the folding seats, That would have been the easiest way to get in.
haah good ol' car pranks
Speaking of folding. My friends folded my side view mirrors on the truck I had while I was in class. I was headed home and merging on the freeway and that's when I thought some douche-bag took off my side view mirrors took me a second to realize that they were folded outwards -.-
But I took plastic wrap from U-haul and wrapped the living hell out of their cars
Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM

2004 C240 4matic, 2009 C300 4Matic
interesting read man thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Former Member

no mb
To C320-CAV - You have a different AC unit then I do, I don't have that EC Rest button. I don't think I have the same glove compartment door as you either. Ill check when my wife comes home.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So what's the thought behind turing on the parking lights on one side of the car or the other?

It's actually the 'rest' function that lets you keep the car warm after you've stopped. This function is on the 'A/C OFF' button on my climate control, which I use a lot when I want to cool the car down without running the A/C (to save gas). Interesting to note that my '03 did not originally have the 'rest' function, just 'A/C OFF'. The climate control was replaced while still under warranty with a unit that has the 'rest' function - which made me happy when I found out what it did. Keeps the car warm for ~10 minutes without having to waste gas.

Last edited by mtnman82; 12-17-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 PM

C320
Originally Posted by mtnman82
So what's the thought behind turing on the parking lights on one side of the car or the other?
Well, it is just so that other people know you are parked there and will be back. Instead of having Hazard lights on (Which someone could think something is wrong) these parking lights just indicate you are parked there for a short time. Or just simply so that your car is visible to other drivers in dark areas to avoid collision. There is many reasons as to why they include this feature in european cars but this is the reason which I learned.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
Originally Posted by C320-Cav
Well, it is just so that other people know you are parked there and will be back. Instead of having Hazard lights on (Which someone could think something is wrong) these parking lights just indicate you are parked there for a short time. Or just simply so that your car is visible to other drivers in dark areas to avoid collision. There is many reasons as to why they include this feature in european cars but this is the reason which I learned.
I was told that with some of the small narrow streets in Europe, you can park on either side and turn on the side that sticks out into traffic. I had this same feature on my old Maserati Biturbo.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM

07 E63 Estate | 09 & 10 Rx8 R3
I had the rest button on my C36.. however the C55 is sans rest.

Heh.. I'm finally getting good at the internet.. I guessed on those IMG tags.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Oh and I can't wait to try out tunnel mode.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 PM

2004 C240 4matic, 2009 C300 4Matic
the windows trick is sick, never knew/tried it
Old 12-18-2012, 05:33 PM

Yeah no love on the C55 with the "tunnel mode". I'll try it again when I upgrade my HVAC controller to the digital one from the W209.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 PM

C320
Originally Posted by speed7
Yeah no love on the C55 with the "tunnel mode". I'll try it again when I upgrade my HVAC controller to the digital one from the W209.
Yeah, im sure with the digital one it would work.
Tunnel mode is my favorite so far
But good luck, i hope it works when you upgrade!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203 Tricks, tips, and secrets!