C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Laguna Niguel told me it takes 6 months to build my c coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 06:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laguna Niguel told me it takes 6 months to build my c coupe?

As some of you might already know from my previous cd changer thread... I just ordered my car from Laguna Niguel last weekend...
They didn't have the car I wanted so we went ahead and have
Laguna Niguel submitted build order to Mercedes...
My question is that... Laguna Niguel told me it takes SIX to
build my c coupe... Is that true?? I thought it usually take
car maker 3-4 months to build a car....

Any infor appreciated... I can't wait until my car arrives..
Old 03-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Thumbs down That's just crazy

It should take 8-12 weeks to order one. I have no idea why they're saying that, other than maybe covering their asses, or that they want to look impressive when they deliver the car in half of the time that they promised or something.

It's a nice car, but I don't think that I'd wait 6 months for it. That's August! The '03's will be out by then. Something doesn't smell right - I'd ask them why it would take so long, and if you don't get a good answer, you might want to talk to another dealer.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:31 AM

2001 C240 6spd
When I was looking into the C-coupe...the MB dealer in Tucson told me 3-4 months....3 if I wanted cloth interior...4 if I wanted leather.....they also said that 6 months is not uncommon to wait for an ordered car.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:13 AM
Bud

99 ml320, 2002 C230K
The situation is probably that they've already sold the next several months of their allocation of cars. MB was supposedly only going to send over 20,000 coupes for 2002, so each dealer is limited in how many they can sell.

Another dealer who doesn't discount and wants full sticker might not have sold all of their allocation and might have cars available in three months.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:58 AM

Brill. Silver-C230K, Auto, C4,C5,C7
I ordered mine 1/17/02 and expect it in about 2 weeks. If you were told six mos., they are probably using a future allocation. Did they want a large deposit for such a long wait? I had to give $1000.

Brill. Silver-- Auto,CD,C4,C5,C7-- Still waiting
Old 03-03-2002, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would agree that they are out of current allocations and are placing your order in the next available allocation. If they say it will arrive in August, you might get one of the last 2002's with the 2.3 liter engine or one of the first 2003's with the 1.8.

Did you ask them to search the MB computer system to see if another dealer has a car like you want? Or if they have a current allocation car for to be built for their inventory that could be changed to your specs?

If they find something similar to what you want, are you willing to compromise on color or options to get the car sooner? Are you willing to travel, if one of us know where you might get a car you want? I kinda keep track of what the local dealers have.

What exactly did you order?
Old 03-03-2002, 11:55 AM

C230K, Orion Blue, Oyster Leather, 6 speed (what else), C5 (let the sun in)
Sorry to hear it's taking as long to get yours as it is getting mine, especially when you are in an area that should have a greater variety and supply of vehicles. I used to live in Laguna Niguel.

Like everyone else has suggested, ask the dealer about the allocation to see if it is a future one.

I placed my order on 9/1/01 and expected a wait per the dealer because of several problems in New Mexico. 1 - The leather fiasco in Europe added considerable time to the order. 2 - The Benz dealership in ABQ is the only one in NM and I had to wait for a future allocation. 3 - I expected it to take longer anyhow because NM is like living in Egypt, people still think I live in a foreign country.

If you have to wait, I think it is well worth it. I wanted just what I ordered (could kick myself for not getting the C7 now) and am happy I placed the special order. I am not willing to compromise on color (all the dealer had on first shipment was silver and black with one magma red), tranny (most of the cars were autos), and open air driving (only one panorama-the magma red with auto).

I plopped my grand down and now have to be a patient child at Christmas - I WANT MY CAR NOWWWWW!

Old 03-03-2002, 01:46 PM

C230 C-Coupe
This Thursday Laguna Niguel had 33 C-Coupes on the lot. That gives them good negotiating power for you. To get my original ordered car earlier, they traded a car on the lot with another dealer and changed a build that dealer had coming in two months.

What are ordering? In most cases a dealer search will find what you need. If you can offer a few alternatives you will find what you want. If you want c2 and auto you could consider c5 and see what more choices you get.

If the delivery date is important to you then it is part of your required package. Laguna Niguel will get you what you want rather than turn your business away.

Nathan
Old 03-03-2002, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Nathan is absolutely right. Find a dealer somewhere that will work for you and find your c230k. There are c230ks all over the country -- my dealer said he could find anything. I also called every dealer in the Bay Area to check stock and found many dealers willing to help me. You car is out there! Have your dealer trade with another dealer. If your local dealer won't call another one -- people seem to like Laguna Niguel and SF benz found my car for me.

Not to ruffle a few feathers (no chick pun intended ), but I would not wait 6 months for the privilege of paying 30K for a car.

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 03-03-2002 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:10 PM

C230K, Orion Blue, Oyster Leather, 6 speed (what else), C5 (let the sun in)
Originally posted by galaxygrrl
Nathan is absolutely right. Find a dealer somewhere that will work for you and find your c230k. There are c230ks all over the country -- my dealer said he could find anything. I also called every dealer in the Bay Area to check stock and found many dealers willing to help me. You car is out there! Have your dealer trade with another dealer. If your local dealer won't call another one -- people seem to like Laguna Niguel and SF benz found my car for me.

Not to ruffle a few feathers (no chick pun intended ), but I would not wait 6 months for the privilege of paying 30K for a car.

I'll agree with you on all statements above providing you live in an area that has at least 11 dealerships like the Bay area, all within reasonable driving distance compared to five total in the Rocky Mountain region that are more than 350- 600 miles apart. Also, other dealerships must be willing to work with your prospective dealership for trades. Here in NM not many other dealers I found are willing to trade out something I wanted for the small allocation lot from the only dealership here.

I am glad to hear that other areas of the country have more to choose from and dealers are more inclined to help. Even though I am paying 30K for a car that I have to wait for, I think it's worth all the longing and every penny. Can't wait for mine to arrive.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
I see your point about New Mexico, but you could buy your car in LA and then drive it to NM. Also, I would wonder if a service like www.carsdirect.com has aquisition channels that your dealer might not.

Good luck.

Beth
Old 03-03-2002, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason MB of Laguna Niguel can get a car quicker is if they have a similar car already on order they can change some options before the build date. Ask them if this is what they are doing.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:29 AM
Almost a Member!

First of all... what is "future allocation"?

I ordered c coupe with the following:
White
6 speed
C7 wheels package
C2 sunroof
Bose
All except the Bose are must-have options....

The fleet manager searched the database for all MB dealers
within california, I believe... and found none...
He tried very to sell us another car... there was a black c coupe
with 6 speed/C7/C5 that he is willing to give us a great deal... but
I really wanted a white one... so we had to build to order..
Old 03-04-2002, 07:53 AM

Brill. Silver-C230K, Auto, C4,C5,C7
Future allocation: Each mos. the dealer gets a certain number of cars for each model. The number depends upon the dealer's volume. If the dealer pre-sells, for example, all C230Ks for March & April and you want to build to order because the car you desire can't be swapped from another dealer, then your order will be the May allocation.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I've read most of the posts on this thread, but one thing seems out of place. I live in MD, but from I've read, it seems Laguna Niguel is a large volume dealer, right? I'm surprised they're telling you 6 months. If they're like other large dealers, they shouldn't have an allocation problem, and they should have some orders already in the system they can modify for you to speed up your "custom" order. My dealer did this, and I received my car 8 weeks after my order was placed.

I don't mean this as a barb, but there's so much speculation happening on this board, with this thread and others. Sometimes the information people seek is right in front of them. If your dealer tells you 6 months, ask them why. What is the reason for the delay? Instead of having everyone make their best guess, get it from the source. Laguna Niguel seems reputable from what I've read, and I'm sure the sales manager can explain the wait. Is it allocation? Delay in production? Is he trying to make you wait for the 2003's? The 2002 model year began in July, and if that's true for the 2003's, the end of production for 2002's might be soon. You'd better get the order in before the model year transition.

To Galaxygrl, I don't believe you can always find what you want. You can wait a couple of months for a dealer to find what you want or simply order the darn thing to spec! Then you know you'll get exactly what you want at the price you're willing to pay. It's really so simple....

Last edited by MarkL; 03-04-2002 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oops, I thought you said 6 weeks. Six months is insane. Call Mark Hoye at the dealership, he's the internet sales guy and got my buddy a special order color C320 in 2 months. If he can't help you or you feel you are being mistreated ask for Jeff or Penny Spellens, they are one of the owners (don't tell him I sent you).
Old 03-04-2002, 11:49 AM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by galaxygrrl
I see your point about New Mexico, but you could buy your car in LA and then drive it to NM. Also, I would wonder if a service like www.carsdirect.com has aquisition channels that your dealer might not.

Good luck.

Beth
carsdirect.com was very helpful in hooking me up with the dealer that located my car on the boat from Germany within 3 weeks - almost exactly the way I wanted it. Worth a try.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Forgot to add... when I was there.. they still got alot of c coupe
in stock... I did asked about customizing on one of the car that
it is soon to be built... but I think he told me that they are already
locked-in or something (can't rememeber exactly)...
Anyways, he did told me that six month is the worst estimate...
it's usually shorter...

I'm asking b/c isn't usually a freshly built (from day of order) car
should only take 3-4 months? 6 months sounds way too long...
Old 03-04-2002, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by JT-KGY
...Anyways, he did told me that six month is the worst estimate...
it's usually shorter...
You mean we went through all of this because he gave you a 6-month worst case? You didn't say that at first. You said they said 6 month delivery, period.

Yes, it should take a lot less time!

You said they already placed the order. They should be able to give you updated info on the order very soon showing estimated build week.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by MarkL

You mean we went through all of this because he gave you a 6-month worst case? You didn't say that at first. You said they said 6 month delivery, period.

Yes, it should take a lot less time!

You said they already placed the order. They should be able to give you updated info on the order very soon showing estimated build week.
Yes, sorry for not mentioning it first...
The reason is that... he sound very positive about the 6 months
wait... I had to ask him several times before he mentioned that
it should be shorter... Six months is the worst estimate...