C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Upper Radiator Hose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320
Upper Radiator Hose

So if you are following my other thread, you know I have a whining noise that is bothersome when driving my car. I am below amateur level when it comes to mechanics, so when trying to diagnose the whining noise, I damaged my upper radiator hose.

If a picture is worth a thousand words.... well then here is a video with my questions:

Basically: Does a coolant drain REALLY need to be done? and How the heck do you connect the part to the radiator? The engine and coolant reservoir connectors seem easy enough.

I thought it'd be better to make a new thread instead of keep bumping the other one that has nothing to do with the original topic. If this was not the right decision, then I suppose the moderators could merge topics back?

Thanks!!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Draining your coolant is super easy. You may need to remove, the pans under your car. At the bottom of your radiator is a petticot, you loosen this to get coolant out. (At least on my 2002 C230, my petticot is red)

If you have a large enough pan under your car, and don't care about killing squirrel babies and feral kittens, I suppose you could leak coolant onto the ground. But really, the radiator drain/petticot is easy to find and use.

I think you have most of this figured out. The hard to access portion of the hose likely has a clip type holder. Going from memory, and mine is one of the worst....There will be a steel clip sticking out from the end of the hose. This clip is turned counterclockwise to get it unattached. So find the "handle" of the clip, and turn it and the hose just pulls out. When reinserting push the new hose in firmly and turn it closed.

Ed
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Originally Posted by SeaCoupe
At the bottom of your radiator is a petticot, you loosen this to get coolant out. (At least on my 2002 C230, my petticot is red)
petticot huh? you also give color of your petticot
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM

2004 C320
Draining your coolant is super easy. You may need to remove, the pans under your car. At the bottom of your radiator is a petticot, you loosen this to get coolant out. (At least on my 2002 C230, my petticot is red)

If you have a large enough pan under your car, and don't care about killing squirrel babies and feral kittens, I suppose you could leak coolant onto the ground. But really, the radiator drain/petticot is easy to find and use.

I think you have most of this figured out. The hard to access portion of the hose likely has a clip type holder. Going from memory, and mine is one of the worst....There will be a steel clip sticking out from the end of the hose. This clip is turned counterclockwise to get it unattached. So find the "handle" of the clip, and turn it and the hose just pulls out. When reinserting push the new hose in firmly and turn it closed.

Ed
at the squirrel babies and feral kittens! I used to want to be a veterinarian so that is definitely not on my options! lol

But, getting under the car is something I do not want to do. The house my roommate and I are renting does not have a cement driveway, so no portion is level. I read you can get under and unscrew the pan without jacking it up, but last time I changed out my power steering fluid I jacked it up with the spare tire jack (which needs grease or something because it no longer works) and I was scared for my life under there as it was still a tight squeeze!

The dilution of coolant doesn't seem too much of a task, can't be too much away from bleach in a washer machine, huh? I read that a "burping" task has to be done that can cause overheating if not performed correctly, which makes for another reason for an amateur like myself to be frightened of performing this task!

I believe my coolant was changed out in July, so that is not that long ago. (That is when my service B was performed).

So the trouble connection doesn't seem too bad anymore. Like screwing a lightbulb? There was a post on the other thread about parts.com having a hose, but it doesn't match the exact hose diagram I was given at the dealership, so I'm not sure if I want the chance. I think I will just dish out the $60 + tax for the hose at the dealer! Also, I am assuming the clamps should be reusable?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaODB
at the squirrel babies and feral kittens! I used to want to be a veterinarian so that is definitely not on my options! lol

But, getting under the car is something I do not want to do. The house my roommate and I are renting does not have a cement driveway, so no portion is level. I read you can get under and unscrew the pan without jacking it up, but last time I changed out my power steering fluid I jacked it up with the spare tire jack (which needs grease or something because it no longer works) and I was scared for my life under there as it was still a tight squeeze!

The dilution of coolant doesn't seem too much of a task, can't be too much away from bleach in a washer machine, huh? I read that a "burping" task has to be done that can cause overheating if not performed correctly, which makes for another reason for an amateur like myself to be frightened of performing this task!

I believe my coolant was changed out in July, so that is not that long ago. (That is when my service B was performed).

So the trouble connection doesn't seem too bad anymore. Like screwing a lightbulb? There was a post on the other thread about parts.com having a hose, but it doesn't match the exact hose diagram I was given at the dealership, so I'm not sure if I want the chance. I think I will just dish out the $60 + tax for the hose at the dealer! Also, I am assuming the clamps should be reusable?

Thanks
Yep, sounds like you can reuse your coolant if you can collect it.

I generally use MB parts, but sometimes I make exceptions. I will say, that if you want to buy time and simply tape up the worn portion, that could buy you time. Ask me how I know this...

Any "pinch" clamps, or worm clamps are reusable. Be sure not to overtighten the clamps at the reservoir.

Ohhhh, and please, don't ever get under the car without using jack stands. Your unborn children, baby squirrels and feral kittens will thank you.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 PM

2004 C320
Yep, sounds like you can reuse your coolant if you can collect it.

I generally use MB parts, but sometimes I make exceptions. I will say, that if you want to buy time and simply tape up the worn portion, that could buy you time. Ask me how I know this...

Any "pinch" clamps, or worm clamps are reusable. Be sure not to overtighten the clamps at the reservoir.

Ohhhh, and please, don't ever get under the car without using jack stands. Your unborn children, baby squirrels and feral kittens will thank you.
Sounds like I'm learning the tricks of mechanics with trials.... and mostly error

But I've just been observing videos and it seems not much coolant slips out. When the time comes, I'll see how I feel about the whole deal and whether or not I want to replace it or not. If a substantial amount comes out and I did not drain, do I just replace with the diluted 50/50 distilled water/coolant mixture to the top?

I honestly don't drive it too much when school is in session. Maybe to the library to study or for grocery shopping, but still all under 10 mile trips. The main reason I am making a big deal is because Spring Break is approaching which will put many miles on it, and don't wanna ride around on a damaged hose!

I don't have much money now (due to an unexpected alternator replacement that had to be done) which is why I am making draining the coolant another big deal. And for the fact that I don't know how to properly get under this car!

I may go ahead and do this now, but I will most likely wait until my next check comes in. Thank you very much!!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I would be tempted to get a double ended male barb fitting from Ryan-Herco, Grainger, or McMaster-Carr, then cut out the half inch of damaged hose and splice with a hose barb and a couple of Oetiker clamps. Set you back four bucks.
Attached Images   

Trending Topics

Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

(At least on my 2002 C230, my petticot is red)
I am not from the spelling police, but it is "petcock", and besides that no one cares what color your petcock is, or your petdog, petcat, or petfish.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM

2004 C320
Originally Posted by Moviela
I would be tempted to get a double ended male barb fitting from Ryan-Herco, Grainger, or McMaster-Carr, then cut out the half inch of damaged hose and splice with a hose barb and a couple of Oetiker clamps. Set you back four bucks.
Was a little skeptical at first, then came across this:

http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/5...flow-tube.html

I will probably head to NAPA tomorrow morning and ask if they can assist me in the parking lot with doing the procedure. Do you think this can be a long-term fix? I am thinking of driving from Tallahassee to Orlando (260 miles) on March 1st, and from Tallahassee to Jacksonville (160 miles) the week after. Could it withstand?

p.s. I am only keeping this car for 2 more years. If everything goes as planned, (which it has been so far -- 2nd year in college), then I will sign into military after acceptance to dental school, and with my signing bonus I hope to get one of those new 300 Chryslers!!

Thanks!

Edit: After some readings and shower-thoughts... is this small piece missing from the hose really a factor? I read that it is the overflow tube, so from the brief summaries that I have glanced it seems that it doesn't play a huge role in the functioning of the cooling system. (I guess it is the sum of its parts, though.) Or is it the fact that the pressure/heat mixed in with a weakened section will make the hole? There are no leaks as of yet, so cutting an in-tact hose into 2 separate hoses and sticking a metal piece in between is still causing a conflict with my mind!

Last edited by DaODB; 02-20-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not from the spelling police, but it is "petcock", and besides that no one cares what color your petcock is, or your petdog, petcat, or petfish.
I know, I know. I spelled that wrong. I don't know why that is what my fingers typed. My dad taught automotive courses at a College in Texas. He'd kill me for this slip up.

Ed
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM

2004 C320
Got the pieces! Hoping this can turn into a $6 fix. He even told me I can return the splicer that isn't the right size if I wanted to. He was really helpful.

Advised not to do it while it was hot because we'd be smelling like coolant for the next 2 years, so I will be doing it tomorrow with my roommate. I'll let you all know how it goes!

I was a little fishy about the plastic splicers, but he says some people have had successes for years with these same pieces... so maybe I fell for the marketing scheme:

Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
The connectors look a little thin . Make sure they are the correct size to fit the hose snuggly ,ie not loose, even a good interference fit so they carry sufficient coolant & the hose clips tighten properly .

Also do a second tighten up when the coolant is hot just to make sure they stay there when the system is hot & pressurised .

Monitor it closely for the first week to make sure all is OK.

JC

Last edited by Carsy; 02-21-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM

2004 C320
Well, it's all said and done. Seems to be fine now. One of the pieces seemed too small, so we tried the other splicer but it was too big. Wouldn't squeeze in there, so we went back to the too small one. It was still dripping, so I thought it was a lost cause and we made it worse, but after using the hose clamps, it is in running condition. Tightened after hot as suggested, also.

The radiator hose holder was lost in the process (multiple times, but a final time where it is now M.I.A)

So.... now..... I am Pretty In Pink. Can't wait for a Mechanic to see this next time my car is in the shop

Thanks so much for the help you all! Now to determine the whining noise... probably will come to a conclusion around the middle of March with that one.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaODB
So.... now..... I am Pretty In Pink.

Now to determine the whining noise...
You sure there is no female in the car when you hear it?

Did you check the level of the power steering fluid?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 PM

2004 C320
You sure there is no female in the car when you hear it?

Did you check the level of the power steering fluid?
Hahahhaha nice smiley. I should check the trunk............... too dark of humor my bad.

But there is another thread that I made named "whining noise" I believe, and it even has a video. (a ****ty one, at that). I am almost 90% sure it is the idler/tensioner after comparing noises from other videos and reading other people's posts and comparing those, also.