C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Bilstein suspension with Eibach springs --> Why is back ride lower during in gear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65 AMG '05
Bilstein suspension with Eibach springs --> Why is back ride lower during in gear?

Greetings everyone, this is my first post in this forum. I am relatively new to everything here including my own car. I have a few questions if anyone out there would be helpful enough to give me some solutions.

1) First is that I have recently installed a bilstein gas shock with eibach sprins and they rides perfectly. Much less/no rolls anymore as compare to my original SACH stock lowered suspension. But some things ponders me are why is the car right hide much lower during in gear? (Esp the back) My rear guard is around 1cm above the tyre but after i shift it into gear with my auto D, the ride height behind dropped a futher 2cm. the top tyres are inside the guard, it looks a hell lot better to my honest opinion but i just dont understand why, it is NORMAL? or was there some installation problem? Btw, I have am from Malaysia and have a C200k which maybe most of you never heard of, its a 2002 model with AMG kits and the 17inches wheels.

Also can I know if Bilstein is a good shock absorbers? I heard of sach but it was sold out the time I bought it and Bilsteirn was priced around USD150 more then the SACHS.

2) I had the BOSE sound upgrade which totally sucks all the way. The woofer is like rubbish low frequency noise generator. Totally yuck IMHO. I am thinking of changing the whole thing including the headunit deck with some paneling. The thing I'm confused is, how do I open the center console to access the headunit? I was told it was all clip on panels but this I am not too sure. I dont want to break anything. 2nd, How do I access the bose amplifier? I do not know where mercedes has hidden it, it much have been freaking mickey mouse small otherwise I surely would have notice where the hell it is. Also is it possible for me to use the same power source and signal for aftermarket products like Rockford Fosgate here? I really can't be bothered with all the rewiring in my car. I will change all the stock speakers with Soundstream 6's though.

3.) What do you guys think of N2/Nitrogen gas for tires? It is a hot item here now but I wonder if it is really something legitimate? Or another marketing scheme? Normal air is free u know? I was told they dont leak? Hmmm...

Thats all for now. I would greatly appreciate any help here. Will post picture later! Thanks.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:19 AM

CL65 AMG '05
Apologies for the minor spellings and grammars, lol I'm a bit intoxicated.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have any answers to your ride height questions. Bilstein shocks are okay, but there are better.

I am assuming that you have a Sports Coupe. In that case, the Bose amp is supposed to be behind the airbag cover on the right side of the rear seat. I don't know if you get all the airbags in Malaysia. Right hand drive might change the location of the amp, too.

Nitrogen is used in tires, especially race tires, to control pressure build up as the tire gets hot. Compressed air contains a variable amount of water vapor depending on the humidity. This causes the pressure increase in the tire to be unpredictable. Nitrogen contains no water vapor and the pressure increase in the tires due to heat to be linear and predictable. Nitrogen will not prevent leaks.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
I think it because when u engage in D, the car is already moving forward, and u stop the car by pressing the brake (C class is RWD so rear wheels is the one who move), compare to manual u need to control the clutch.

It's like on the uphill, auto transmission doesn't roll forward.

The same with accelerating, the car squat a little cos of the torque. And if i remember correctly, torque is actually a circular motion. The front end of the car move upward and the back end move down.

I dunno how to explain it by word correctly, i'm suck at english ,
hope i dun confuse u
Old 08-24-2003, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
If u have 19 inch get the nitrogen, it gives much softer and smoother ride compare to oxygen, u can tell the difference.

Beside, u don't have to get your hand dirty when u need to top up yout tyre, the people will top up for you, lifetime as well (in australia at least). And u only need to top up every 3 months.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:27 AM

CL65 AMG '05
Perhaps I have exaggerated, the drop wasn't that much, its more like around 1/2 to 1inch when I engaged in the D gear but I still dont understand why. I know during moving or accelerating, the car definately pushes down in the back but during stationary? Weird. Perhaps it has to do with the gear engagement. Regardless, I am still no happy with the drop height for the back, I just dont understand why the front drop so much while the back drops 1 1/2 inches less. Anyway, I've cut one coil away, now it's perfect.

I do not have 19 inches, couldn't afford it yet lol, can't spare those kind of bread of wheels yet. You must know in my part of the world, its damn expensive to get a branded 19 inches. I have the orignal C32 AMG 17 inches. Yeah, I'll try to top it up with nitrogen but I was told you never need to top it up again if the valve has not problem! Thats wow! I'll try it out.

Any ideas what exhaust to get for my C200K? The original bent down exhaust is really a disgrace in the looks.

Will get my car picture soon if anyone is insterested, I have got a nice tint. Heh..
Old 08-26-2003, 11:33 AM
JeT

Originally posted by JLLK
Anyway, I've cut one coil away, now it's perfect.
Before cutting the spring did you check what size spring pads you have on the rear? Cutting the spring is not worth the look in the long run. Changing the spring pads would have been the best option by far.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
Re: Bilstein suspension with Eibach springs --> Why is back ride lower during in gear

Originally posted by JLLK
2) I had the BOSE sound upgrade which totally sucks all the way. The woofer is like rubbish low frequency noise generator. Totally yuck IMHO. I am thinking of changing the whole thing including the headunit deck with some paneling. The thing I'm confused is, how do I open the center console to access the headunit? I was told it was all clip on panels but this I am not too sure. I dont want to break anything.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=13302
Old 08-30-2003, 09:55 PM

CL65 AMG '05
I already changed the spring rubber pads but the drop wasn't enough, only around 1/2 inch or so. Thus I still need to cut it. I dont have a big rim, only the 17 inches, but maybe perhaps I have a preference for real low rides. Quality of ride suffers just a tad. Not noticeable at all.

thanks for the link Session.