C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Cassette Tape "stuck"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
Cassette Tape "stuck"

I have read multiple threads on both here AND other MB sites, and haven't found a solution(other than taking radio out)
I have a cassette tape-to-AUX that hooks into my phone so I play music. I've been using it for nearly 7 months now with no problem, and last week I put the cord into my phone and a message came up saying "Tape Stuck". Tried ejecting tape, nothing. Tried switching modes and back to tape, nothing. The past 3 days I've done many things I've seen suggestions on; pushing on the bottom part of it, prying it from the top, etc and can't get anything to make the thing pop down.

Does anybody else have suggestions, other than taking the radio and dash completely out? I am anticipating a 3 1/2 hour road trip on Saturday(my H.S. soccer team made it to state) and would love to have it fixed by then...

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
try to get a new tape adapter see if it help, if not replace your tape deck isn't hard at all. only took me 20mins to an hour with only breaking a few clips
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
There are two things I would try prior to taking the dash apart.

1. Remove fuse 64 (10A Red) from the fuse location under the hood on the drivers side. Allow about 5 minutes for the Radio processors to lose their mind. Then plug the fuse in and try to eject the cassette.

2. Open the cassette door and blow clean dry compressed air into the slot. There is an infrared sensor system that looks for a cassette. It might be dirty, and hopefully the air blast will move the dust bunnies.

If this does not work, get out the tools and start with the center vent, then switches, then shifter cover, then climate control then the head unit. You can find detailed instructions on the site.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by Moviela

2. Open the cassette door and blow clean dry compressed air into the slot. There is an infrared sensor system that looks for a cassette. It might be dirty, and hopefully the air blast will move the dust bunnies.

The problem is I can't open the cassette door. I'm sure if I can get that open, somehow, I can get the cassette out... but I've tried nearly everything I've read and I can't get it open.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM

c230k
Originally Posted by ildd
The problem is I can't open the cassette door. I'm sure if I can get that open, somehow, I can get the cassette out... but I've tried nearly everything I've read and I can't get it open.
Similar thing happened on my C230, I was able to get it out eventually. I'm sure you've tried this, but try it again. Hold down the eject tape button with one finger, while pushing really hard on the bottom of the tape screen. At the same time, shove a ruler or something else in the top of the tape area and lift up on it while pushing it in. The combination of these three things finally made it open, and I was able to take the tape out and replace it with another one that wouldn't trigger the "tape stuck" screen.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by funnyent
Similar thing happened on my C230, I was able to get it out eventually. I'm sure you've tried this, but try it again. Hold down the eject tape button with one finger, while pushing really hard on the bottom of the tape screen. At the same time, shove a ruler or something else in the top of the tape area and lift up on it while pushing it in. The combination of these three things finally made it open, and I was able to take the tape out and replace it with another one that wouldn't trigger the "tape stuck" screen.

Hope this helps,
Tim
I have been using a butter knife in the top. pretty thin... I have done what you said before, tried it again and now I get the "No Tape" message. Held eject, repeated again but still nothing. Thank you, though.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:34 AM

clk 230
any fixes? im on the same boat.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:46 AM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by MalibuGreg
any fixes? im on the same boat.
I could never get it out. I just replaced my radio last month and after I took the old one out, I just cut the cord off. Still can't get it out.

Although you can try what funnyyent said. I think I was close with that.