C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

leaking going on under the car....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 07:09 PM
Guest0001

Post leaking going on under the car....

there is some leaking going on under my car. im not sure what it is. maybe oil? its near the center of the vehicle. its kind of brown. anyone have a clue? is this normal? i thought first it was water from washing my car a few days ago, but no its not that.

any help is appreciated
Old 08-31-2003, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
could be the rear differential if it's near the center/rear...
Old 08-31-2003, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K
could it be the AC?
Old 08-31-2003, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nevide
could it be the AC?
No. The refrigerant in the air conditioning is a gas at normal temperature and pressure. If it is in the center of the car it could be from the transmission.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:44 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by Lynn
If it is in the center of the car it could be from the transmission.
well if something is wrong with my car shouldnt there be a malfunction?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eventually, there might be a malfunction show up on the MFD, but not necessarily. The sensors cannot detect every little leak. How big is the puddle and how long does it take to form? A little oil or transmission fluid can make a big puddle. It could be from the engine or the power steering, too. With the belly pan, the drip won't be right under the source.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:17 AM
Guest0001

Eventually, there might be a malfunction show up on the MFD, but not necessarily. The sensors cannot detect every little leak. How big is the puddle and how long does it take to form? A little oil or transmission fluid can make a big puddle. It could be from the engine or the power steering, too. With the belly pan, the drip won't be right under the source.
its pretty small puddle Lynn. it comes down in droplets every 10 secs or so and then it dries up after a while. it doesnt really make a stain. maybe there is some loose screws or something? maybe ill just take to a near by jiffy lube to have it inspected
Old 09-01-2003, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ed, if it is drying up and not leaving a stain, are you certain it is not water condensation from the air conditioning?

The only other thing I can think of that might not leave a stain is brake fluid. But that is unlikely to come from the center of the car unless it is from the slave clutch cylinder for the six speed. Your car is an automatic, isn't it?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:36 AM
Guest0001

Ed, if it is drying up and not leaving a stain, are you certain it is not water condensation from the air conditioning?

The only other thing I can think of that might not leave a stain is brake fluid. But that is unlikely to come from the center of the car unless it is from the slave clutch cylinder for the six speed. Your car is an automatic, isn't it?
i will examine it in detail tomarrow. no it does not leave a stain. it looks like water but a dirty water.

my other thought was brake fluid as well. thats what my father told me. My car is an automatic tranny.

so i guess there is nothing to be worried about then?
Old 09-01-2003, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
no stain... hmm, i'm suspecting that the A/C condensation is just getting mixed with some dirt stuck on the bottom of the car...

practically all vital vehicle fluids have a color, sometimes different texture, and most definitely will leave a stain of some kind...

oh, and why would you take it to jiffy lube if your car is still under warranty?
Old 09-01-2003, 04:26 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by mmgrad
no stain... hmm, i'm suspecting that the A/C condensation is just getting mixed with some dirt stuck on the bottom of the car...

practically all vital vehicle fluids have a color, sometimes different texture, and most definitely will leave a stain of some kind...

oh, and why would you take it to jiffy lube if your car is still under warranty?
thanks for the reassurance

the reason i dont want to take it to the dealer is because i hate the MB dealers around me. i would only take to a dealer if its a serious issue or Service A, B etc.

the closest on to me CalStar sucks, Keys european i was satisfied me until they **** the hell out of me! maybe the drive 1hr drive the fletcher is worth it now. there service is fantastic!

anways yeah so about the dripping i feel much better now and i can sleep better

thanks all
Old 09-01-2003, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by noblert10
thanks for the reassurance

the reason i dont want to take it to the dealer is because i hate the MB dealers around me. i would only take to a dealer if its a serious issue or Service A, B etc.

the closest on to me CalStar sucks, Keys european i was satisfied me until they **** the hell out of me! maybe the drive 1hr drive the fletcher is worth it now. there service is fantastic!

anways yeah so about the dripping i feel much better now and i can sleep better

thanks all
another thing you can do to reassure yourself that its nothing vital is to just check each and every one of your car's fluids... if they seem topped off, then you have nothing to worry about...

if you notice something to be noticeably low, then be concerned...
Old 09-01-2003, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey, i made the drive myself all the way to flether jones to get my car too... nice place, but I've never had the pleasure of getting my car serviced there yet... i usually just take it to W I Simonson in santa monica... my advisor treats me well, so i just continue going back there... plus its like 1 mile from my office...
Old 09-01-2003, 05:11 AM
Guest0001

hey, i made the drive myself all the way to flether jones to get my car too... nice place, but I've never had the pleasure of getting my car serviced there yet... i usually just take it to W I Simonson in santa monica... my advisor treats me well, so i just continue going back there... plus its like 1 mile from my office...
yeah the people at FJ really do a good job in customer Service! but its too far away

i was thinking maybe go to house of imports. its still far but not like fletcher jones

i have never heard anything negative about that place at all
Old 09-01-2003, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by noblert10
yeah the people at FJ really do a good job in customer Service! but its too far away

i was thinking maybe go to house of imports. its still far but not like fletcher jones

i have never heard anything negative about that place at all
HOI is freakin' HUGE... they are the biggest MB dealer, and they are the 2nd largest revenue generating dealer in all of USA... i think the #1 spot belonged to one of the Ford franchises...
Old 09-01-2003, 05:22 AM
Guest0001

HOI is freakin' HUGE... they are the biggest MB dealer, and they are the 2nd largest revenue generating dealer in all of USA... i think the #1 spot belonged to one of the Ford franchises...
really?

nah man isnt FJ the biggest?

their dealership is like ****ing city in itself
Old 09-01-2003, 08:56 AM
taylor192

Its water off the AC - freaked me out at first. Just stick your finger in it, you'll feel its not greasy or thick, just dirty water.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' BMW M3 E90
I had a similar problem to your's. It turned out to be a Slow leaky Head Gasket which the dealer replaced.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:25 PM

location, location, location

This thread would be a whole lot more useful if people would state exactly where the leak or puddle is. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Guest0001

Re: location, location, location

Originally posted by Robert Schrader
This thread would be a whole lot more useful if people would state exactly where the leak or puddle is. Thanks.
front center

its actually right under the center console...
Old 09-02-2003, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
It's either condensation dripping from the evaporator tubes (normal), or it's transmission fluid dripping from the cooler lines where they connect to the trans. (not normal). If it doesn't leave a stain, it's probably the former.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:33 PM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Really.....

....chances are 99% that this is just AC condensation. The drain tube is right where you describe the puddle, and anything else is not going to dry up and go away. Believe me, if this were transmission fluid, you'd know the difference.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:59 PM

2000 ML320/'03 C320WZ
it could be a transmission line loose nut..

The way you explain the location and the look how it dripped. It did happened to my ML 320 it has the same engine, correct?.

I went to the dealer and complained about it and that 's what they found a leakage on the transmission line. They did tighten up the line and steam clean the under carriage now no more leak.