C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

tifosiv122 Erik Any Update on Your POWERCHIP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Komp Sedan - 2003
tifosiv122 Erik Any Update on Your POWERCHIP

Erik,
Any update on your power chip. I been seriously thinking about this, I called the dudes and was asking them about the status of your car and the guy was just not letting me get into and he was like oh yea poeple always blame the chip, this chip for the 1.8 liter is really safe (with his british or whatever accent) I have a 1.8 liter I been driving and had no problems with it and chip is raaallie graate it brings the car to life....blah blah blah...he was basiclly sayin 100% the problems are not from the chip and they done tons of them with no problems...

OK ....Erik before going off and trying to explain to me that you didn't have the ESP problem even once in 20 K miles and you had 20 times in a month and its chip....stop I know that and I personally think that 99.99999999999999999999999999% your ESP problem is from the chip but do you think is there any chance any chance i mean 0.00000000000000000000001 % that maybe since you got the chip due to the increase in torque and hp you are setting off hte ESP sensor or....?!!! i have no idea.....anything...basically i want to hear if I did it there is a more chance that I don't see the ESP problem vs. i would see it 100% ....by the way i have the sedan with Auto so...i'm not sure if that makes any difference...

by the its good to be back i was goin mad with this thing down
Old 11-13-2003, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Re: tifosiv122 Erik Any Update on Your POWERCHIP

I still have the problems. My tuning shop has been busy and had no time to remove the ECU. Next week my ECU will be removed and sent back...they will re-flash and return my money.

When I first called about the issue, they said they never had it before. I sent it to them and all of a sudden they were aware of it. Cleaning it did not help. I am not sure if when they re-flash my problems will go away. It might not be the 'chip' but it could be something else that happened to my ECU...but it happened when I sent it to them.

At this point I might be stuck with the errors forever, thats why I want my money back. The power was nice, but not worth the hassle I have dealt with so far.

I've given up on the car power wise and I am spending the rest of my money on the body/rims and I am adding a dedicated MP3 player in some sort of custom job.

Good luck if you decide to do it,
Erik
Old 11-13-2003, 11:25 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Re: Re: tifosiv122 Erik Any Update on Your POWERCHIP

Originally posted by tifosiv122
I still have the problems. My tuning shop has been busy and had no time to remove the ECU. Next week my ECU will be removed and sent back...they will re-flash and return my money.

When I first called about the issue, they said they never had it before. I sent it to them and all of a sudden they were aware of it. Cleaning it did not help. I am not sure if when they re-flash my problems will go away. It might not be the 'chip' but it could be something else that happened to my ECU...but it happened when I sent it to them.

At this point I might be stuck with the errors forever, thats why I want my money back. The power was nice, but not worth the hassle I have dealt with so far.

I've given up on the car power wise and I am spending the rest of my money on the body/rims and I am adding a dedicated MP3 player in some sort of custom job.

Good luck if you decide to do it,
Erik
Sorry to hear about the ecu problems Erik. Although I'm glad to find out b/c I was about to order mine from Powerchip just a few days before your posts....gotta look somewhere else for more power i guess.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
My first thought was there are dozens of W203 with pullies that put out far more power and torque than what you are getting from the Powerchip. With as much as 20HP more than the best the Powerchip can get, they don't seem to have the same ESP problems.

But they are all 2001-2002 M111 engines and not the 1.8L M271 engine. There are a few experimental 1.8 liter superchargers out there being tested with either smaller supercharger pulley or larger crank pullies. I wonder if they are running into the same ESP problems? I would think not, but there is a very small chance. The same chassis in Germany has a 5.8 Liter V8 installed by Brabus, I am sure they don't have this problem.

We all should thank Erik for trying the Powerchip. ven a partial success is a start. Maybe by next year they will have their act together. MB is selling a heck of a lot of C230Ks, both Coupes and Sport Sedans.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They swear they have several working without complaints...
but like I said at first they swore it never happened...then they all of a sudden knew about the issue...
either way customer service has been 150% perfect!

Erik
Old 11-13-2003, 01:00 PM

2004 C 320 4-matic
my power chip went great on my 320 that was just installed i posted a thread about it but im just wondering does this happen to only the manual engines???? have you seen anyone with an auto have these problems??
Old 11-13-2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by C klass 320
my power chip went great on my 320 that was just installed i posted a thread about it but im just wondering does this happen to only the manual engines???? have you seen anyone with an auto have these problems??
i think N/A engine ECU tuning would be easier then a s/c engine. I figure auto would be even more complicated then a manny ecu tuning.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:05 PM

C230 Komp Sedan - 2003
Erik,
Its funny when you mentioned all the sudden they knew all about it. Because yesterday when i was talking to the guy. I explicitly said "so you guys never seent the ESP problem/warnining" and the guy mumbled in a very low voice quickly " oh i think i've seen that come on couple of times" and then quickly went on to say this is completely safe and if you are not happy its money back garanteed just call us let us know you are sending it in and if you did now you have more hp for the weekend...blah blah blah....
Old 11-13-2003, 01:26 PM

2004 C 320 4-matic
i thought a manual would be easier too but do you know of anyone that has had problems with the auto?????.... ive only seen problems with the manual
Old 11-13-2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Keyser_Soze
Erik,
Its funny when you mentioned all the sudden they knew all about it. Because yesterday when i was talking to the guy. I explicitly said "so you guys never seent the ESP problem/warnining" and the guy mumbled in a very low voice quickly " oh i think i've seen that come on couple of times" and then quickly went on to say this is completely safe and if you are not happy its money back garanteed just call us let us know you are sending it in and if you did now you have more hp for the weekend...blah blah blah....
Hey Keyser i notice u're in Austin. How's the MB scene over there? I go to austin pretty often and wouldnt mind joining a GTG if there is one. PM or email me any info plz. Good to see a fellow Texan.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:05 PM

C230 Komp Sedan - 2003
Hey good to see another Texan, yea i have no idea about the MB scene here...i roll with the IS 300 club somtimes i know the whole rice burner ....thing gonna follow my reply here...please don't hate...its just a good friend of mine has an IS so thats why... not becuase i worship toyota.....

but yea i am be interested to get and MB club goin here... and yea if you come to austin that be cool
Old 11-13-2003, 03:22 PM

Hey good to see another Texan, yea i have no idea about the MB scene here...i roll with the IS 300 club somtimes i know the whole rice burner ....thing gonna follow my reply here...please don't hate...its just a good friend of mine has an IS so thats why... not becuase i worship toyota.....

but yea i am be interested to get and MB club goin here... and yea if you come to austin that be cool
there's nothing wrong with hangin with IS club.....whoever call you rice would be a dumb@$$. I have a buddy with civic with engine swap and extensive modifications....nothing on his car would scream rice BUT unfortunately it is the weapon of choice to rice out so he get no respect. I've alway been curious to take my ride against an IS300 (auto) stock to see how i stack up against....
Old 11-13-2003, 04:28 PM

C230 Komp Sedan - 2003
Yea, I be really interested to see that too...the IS club guys here are really cool and freindly.... I and this one guy he has an intake, exhaust, and pigy back software ran each other and he ran me ....pretty much smoked me....not by car lengths but my front bumper was next to his rear bumper..so about 1 car lenght... but its totally cool...yea if you came down here i'm sure they would run you and we could see how the 2.3 does next to a stock IS
Old 11-13-2003, 05:39 PM

Yea, I be really interested to see that too...the IS club guys here are really cool and freindly.... I and this one guy he has an intake, exhaust, and pigy back software ran each other and he ran me ....pretty much smoked me....not by car lengths but my front bumper was next to his rear bumper..so about 1 car lenght... but its totally cool...yea if you came down here i'm sure they would run you and we could see how the 2.3 does next to a stock IS
When the weather is nice and cool (like now, 60F + or - 5F) I wouldnt mind running against a stock IS300 (granted auto vs auto would be more fair). Intake/exhaust i guess is negligible. Let me know if you guys have a weekend event in the next 2-3 months. I think Tommy may come to Austin in about a month or so as well. Wouldnt mind a GTG. Houston folks have stopped the regular GTG.....but then i only showed up to two of em.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:01 PM

well.. i powerchiped my 1.8L sedan, and my car has no errors...
Old 11-13-2003, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got a fairly long e-mail from powerchip today regarding my postings on this forum. Without getting into everything I will restate that the chip did do its job - the power was there. Service is still top notch. I had a problem...others might not.

Erik
Old 11-13-2003, 10:27 PM

I's sure the service is top notch, but it is quite concerning that you have to tell them you know or ask about the esp problem otherwise they won't tell you. Gotta love the sales biz. Sure they'll keep trying to correct the problem but shipping and intallation (granted you can do this yourself) is not free. I like the idea but im going to need some more convincing before I jump in.

I typically run 94 in my car and i noticed they have different chips for different octanes except 94. Is this something they can do a quick reprogram for?

c230_kS - could you please provide some more details about your experience with the chip?

Thanks !
Old 11-13-2003, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MB///HRV
I's sure the service is top notch, but it is quite concerning that you have to tell them you know or ask about the esp problem otherwise they won't tell you. Gotta love the sales biz. Sure they'll keep trying to correct the problem but shipping and intallation (granted you can do this yourself) is not free. I like the idea but im going to need some more convincing before I jump in.

I typically run 94 in my car and i noticed they have different chips for different octanes except 94. Is this something they can do a quick reprogram for?

c230_kS - could you please provide some more details about your experience with the chip?

Thanks !
To defend them they continue to explain how I am the only one with the ongoing issue, which is very possible...things like this happen everyday in every product. Luck of the draw. I think it would be unfair of them to say that 'nobody' has had issues, but I really don't blame them.

They are paying for the shipping this time both ways, like I said, great service.

With all modifications some risk is involved. I knew the risk, I took the chance...nothing is 100% perfect in life.

I obviously cannot say I suggest people buy the chip but I do believe that my case is unique and my experience should not stop others from taking the step. When it works, it really works!

Erik
Old 11-13-2003, 11:05 PM

2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
c230_kS,
Tell us more, such as which chip, where done, dyno tests?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:24 PM

hm...gold 91 , haven't done dyno yet. probably doing it from evosports. the chip is done at santa monica
Old 11-13-2003, 11:26 PM

breastroker i ask potomac auto ... they said they dun have 3.67 available right now do you know where else i can get it ?
Old 11-14-2003, 12:11 AM

2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
They are the best source. They had several, I assume some of our members bought them up

I will look at some of my Mercedes Benz magazines such as the Star for other sources.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:56 AM

no ~~~~~ T.T sad man.... i want it ... well.. ihave a 3.46 right now .... i can wait for a while and do other thing first then.... haha...