C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A/C compressor life,help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203
A/C compressor life,help

So the history of my car,mercedes w203 sport coupe.i bought it used car with not working air conditioner.2003 year model. Last year i decided to fix it and bought second hand compressor from damaged vechicle for 200euro. I sent the car in the best auto service in city.they took of the old,replaced it with the "new" filled up with freon did some computer diagnostic,total 120eu. And for 330 eu i had working a/c for 2 days when it blown.while i was driving the car started to loose power and it shut off. After i started i had no a/c. I think its because it was old,not used for years. This year i decided to fix it again.i bought second hand compressor again but this time from a car that had been soon driven.i bought it for 100eu.two days ago i replaced with the old one and went to a/c service to fill the system with liquid.the man who works there ( man with good and bad reputation) good for good knowledge in air conditioners and bad for " f*****k people to do things and change parts that work fine.he said that the a/c system need to be fully inspected and cleaned with materials that cost 100eu,and he wanted more 100 eu for work.and 50 euro for liquida and so on.he said that if i did not clean the system the a/c compressor will blow again because of some swarfs inside the system from the old compressor. So i did not so this,i just filled the system with freon and now for 1 days i have a good working a/c . The question is what do u think? Is he right or not? Should i stop using the ac and go for full cleaning or since i have it for 2 days it will live? How much time do the swarf (if any because i didnt see from the old one) need to go into the system and block it? Last time i had ac for 3-5 hra before it died. I really dont know what to do.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 C450
Go to the dealership and have a real professional diagnose the system. There is no 'cleaning' an air conditioning system.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:02 AM

W203
The machibe itself that fills with oil and freon did diagnostic,vacuum and so so,all was ok,finally it filled the system with liquid,it was checking system for 20mins and 5 for filling...the question is what about the "cleaning" swarfs from the old one.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 AM

W203
Come in guys give me your opinions
Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
If it's indeed the swarfs, look up "AC black death" to have an idea what it looks like.
Then you pretty much have to replace all the components because it will be hard to flush them completely.

When replacing a compressor, you should also replace the dryer (I believe in our cars there is a removable dryer cartridge close to the car radiator) - otherwise moisture in the system reacts with the freon and ruins the components.

It's interesting that you filled the system and it started working again. Means your compressor is not dead/the condenser etc is not clogged.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM

W203
Originally Posted by VVF
If it's indeed the swarfs, look up "AC black death" to have an idea what it looks like. Then you pretty much have to replace all the components because it will be hard to flush them completely. When replacing a compressor, you should also replace the dryer (I believe in our cars there is a removable dryer cartridge close to the car radiator) - otherwise moisture in the system reacts with the freon and ruins the components. It's interesting that you filled the system and it started working again. Means your compressor is not dead/the condenser etc is not clogged.

What about the old one? It did work for 2 days and stopped. And now im scare to use it after this worda,he just connected to diagnostic,run some tests and filled with freon.after that ot started working fine. What do u think?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Hard to say...
So
1) You replaced the compressor and it worked for two days then seized (you lost power etc),
2) You got another compressor but have not used it much because you think it would seize as well?

How did you know you needed to replace the compressor the first time (vs just recharging the freon)?

Check your alternator pulley - it should freewheel in one direction. If it's frozen it will induce belt vibrations and break the AC compressor pulley thus destroying the compressor. - but I don't think you lose power when this happens...

I have replaced a compressor in a Ford Taurus after what looked like black death, and after that I used the AC for several days (but not for 3 hours at once though). I'd guess it would take several weeks for it to clog up again.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 PM

W203
Originally Posted by VVF
Hard to say... So 1) You replaced the compressor and it worked for two days then seized (you lost power etc), 2) You got another compressor but have not used it much because you think it would seize as well? How did you know you needed to replace the compressor the first time (vs just recharging the freon)? Check your alternator pulley - it should freewheel in one direction. If it's frozen it will induce belt vibrations and break the AC compressor pulley thus destroying the compressor. - but I don't think you lose power when this happens... I have replaced a compressor in a Ford Taurus after what looked like black death, and after that I used the AC for several days (but not for 3 hours at once though). I'd guess it would take several weeks for it to clog up again.
Actually i didnt know that i jave ti change it and is blown.just yhe car shut off,and i think in the beginning it didnt want to start...and after it started i had not air conditioner. I dont know,..i decided its blown.do u want to send u pictures and tell me in what condition it is? I rly dont understand what might have happened
Old 06-30-2014, 12:54 PM

W203
Actually i didnt know that i jave ti change it and is blown.just yhe car shut off,and i think in the beginning it didnt want to start...and after it started i had not air conditioner. I dont know,..i decided its blown.do u want to send u pictures and tell me in what condition it is? I rly dont understand what might have happened
Old 06-30-2014, 02:40 PM

W203
This is the old one
Attached Thumbnails A/C compressor life,help-image-511311221.jpg   A/C compressor life,help-image-3417981590.jpg