C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Buying stuff on-line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Question Buying stuff on-line

Hi guys and girls.

I'd like some advice please. I'm thinking about ordering online a Bel radar dectector (the new 985 should be out soon) from
http://www.radarcops.com.

Q1: Have anyone had any experiences, good or bad with this company?

Q2: When paying with a credit card, does MC, Visa or AmEx provide a way to chargeback the amount paid if for example the purchase never arrives or arrives in non-satisfactory condition?

Thanks a lot
Old 03-15-2002, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Voyagerdude,

By paying with a credit card you always have the right to contest charges if you feel you are getting ripped off by a vender. But my experience with ordering on line has been excellent. Companies rely on their customer service to build repeat customers. I don't have any experience with that particular vendor.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:57 PM

Thanks Steven. The reason I was worried is once I bought a phonecard online and the card was useless for calling to certain countries. MC refused to charge the money back, they explained that it was "like paying cash" to this online vendor. Took me a LOT of screaming on the phone with the vendor to get a refund.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:10 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Thumbs up

$219.95 is about the best price I've seen on the 980. Did they say what new feature(s) is onthe 985?

I have no experience with this company, sorry. There are so many out there.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:39 PM

There are some companies selling the 980 for 207, but their shipping is more.
No-one, including Beltronics (I've called them), can give me a definite answer on what is different in 985. Basically all I know that it's the 980 with some improvements and 980 is getting replaced by 985.
Betronics does not list it on their site yet.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:54 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
So far, I haven't had any bad experiences buying stuff online. When disputing a charge, there may be a difference between cc companies, and among issuing banks; I believe AmEx handles these matters in a hassle-free manner. Calling card companies, on the other hand, can be borderline shady sometimes.

What about the other detectors? I'm thinking about buying a Valentine One or Passport 8500, because it's just too easy to get carried away a little in the Benz - are they worth the extra money? So far, I've only seen MB-boarders talk about the BEL 980 on this forum.

Is this off-topic? Originally, this is about online orders using charge cards. I can always post a new thread. But this has been going around in my head for a while. The price of a Valentine One sure is a lot of smackers ; then again, so's a speeding ticket & points. Better safe than sorry. Guess you have to trust the reviews. What's your experience with detectors, anyone?

(ok, I might post a poll when I get home)
Old 03-15-2002, 04:43 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
like cash? Any chance you were using a DEBIT card instead of a credit card? There is a difference. Debit cards are like cash can be a pain to fight charges on.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Flashman
like cash? Any chance you were using a DEBIT card instead of a credit card? There is a difference. Debit cards are like cash can be a pain to fight charges on.
Hey Flashman, have you seen a web site that accepts debit cards? I was puzzled too when I heard the MC rep. talking about "like cash"
Old 03-15-2002, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
debit cards,to the seller are just like credit cards, you notice that the card has a visa or master card symbol on it. When I buy gas, it ask debt or credit, I use my debit card and say credit. SO there on ein the same. Have bought on ebay with debit
Old 03-16-2002, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by C230K
debit cards,to the seller are just like credit cards, you notice that the card has a visa or master card symbol on it. When I buy gas, it ask debt or credit, I use my debit card and say credit. SO there on ein the same. Have bought on ebay with debit
It's abit different in Canada. We have SEPARATE debit and credit cards. I've never seen them combined into one here (unlike in US)
Old 03-16-2002, 08:42 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Debit cards come in two styles. Those are that bank issued. They are only accepted by places that specifically accept debit cards (usually members of a compatible network). Then there are those that have a MC/Visa logo on them and can use the MC/Visa network. Those are accepted anywhere that takes MC/Visa.

However, when the card is charged by MC/Visa, it is not a 'credit charge' that you can dispute, but a direct withdrawal of cash. Hence why it is often referred to as "telecheck" or "checkcard". You ability to dispute stuff becomes substantially reduced, similar to that of a check. Hence the mention of "just as cash".

When buying online, I specifically use a regular credit card that also has 'buyers protection'. Then I pay the card off at the end of the month from my regular account. Then if I had to dispute something, I can. And if something goes wrong, I have the buyers protection that extends the original warranty.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Flashman
Debit cards come in two styles. Those are that bank issued. They are only accepted by places that specifically accept debit cards (usually members of a compatible network). Then there are those that have a MC/Visa logo on them and can use the MC/Visa network. Those are accepted anywhere that takes MC/Visa.

However, when the card is charged by MC/Visa, it is not a 'credit charge' that you can dispute, but a direct withdrawal of cash. Hence why it is often referred to as "telecheck" or "checkcard". You ability to dispute stuff becomes substantially reduced, similar to that of a check. Hence the mention of "just as cash".

When buying online, I specifically use a regular credit card that also has 'buyers protection'. Then I pay the card off at the end of the month from my regular account. Then if I had to dispute something, I can. And if something goes wrong, I have the buyers protection that extends the original warranty.
Thanks Flashman, it all makes sense .... in U.S.
However in Canada the system is slightly different and we have only a handful of banks here. I know the difference, because I had a friend who lived in Atlanta.

Like I said, in Canada a debit card is just that, you CAN NOT use it wherever Visa or MC is accepted. You can use them only with stores that accept Interac, Cirrus etc. We have no debit cards (AFAIK) with Visa or MC logo.

Likewise, a credit card in Canada is just a credit card and can ONLY be used as such. For example I have a Bank of Montreal MC and no other accounts with that bank, so there is no way cash is withdrawn when I use that card. Same goes for my AmEx CC.

(One exception is that you may have the ability, if specifically enabled, to manage your debit AND credit accounts at a bank machine with the same card)