C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mercedes-Benz psychology works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E 350
Mercedes-Benz psychology works!

The smart ones already know that MB initiated the C class mainly to appeal to the younger crowd. Sure, it's also for people that prefer a less expensive automobile whether for self interest or financial situations but I believe that it's mostly for the 18-25 demographic. Anyway, it's a great psychological technique and it definately worked on me. I got my coupe at 18 years old and my lease expires right before I turn 21. Because I love the coupe handling and performance so much (plus the name recognition) I don't even want to test drive another non-MB car and will most likely end up leasing/buying another MB car in the near future.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Jens C320

I would say the MB is going to be very happy to hear that. But it is your loss if you fixate yourself to one brand, there are a lot of better cars than Mercedes. But I can see the name recognition, I got comments constantly on my POS wagon, "wow, isn't that like $65,000"...But seriously, do yourself a favour and look at some other brands.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you getting an E? Maybe a used C32? S600?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Guest0001

The C Sedan is my favorite Mercedes-Benz aside from the A CL500 Sport.(Which is priced pretty steep!)

Every since MB introduced The C320 Sedan in 2001 I just fell in love with the car. And that was when it had stock 16s, lack of bi-xenons, and lack of a good drop. I patiently waited 2 years So in 2003 I could buy the Car in full cash rather then put a large down and payments.

After getting some some bi xenons, C7s wheels, and springs my outlook on the car went from beautiful to OMG its *******G Georgous!!!

I think its going to be very very hard for me to drive any other brand of car now. BMW is nice but they seem to going in an ugly direction and they lack the luxury of an MB. Audi is great but lacks the look and prestige of the other german rivals. I never liked Porsche and never will. Acura and Lexus are just boring and ugly period. Infiniti made a decent attempt and their styling is pretty nice but they are still way off when it comes to interior refinement and feel.

I know Mercedes-Benz is having its worst reliabilbility and Quality problems as of late. But the car has just too much to pass up. Its Beautiful, its safe, and the ride and feel is second to none!

That said I will move up to an E500 sport when the time comes! But I am still going to keep my C.

Last edited by Guest0001; 12-24-2003 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:57 PM

2008 E 350
It's not so much as not trying other brands, it's just that I will never try other brands 'lower' then Mercedes Benz. BMW, Audi can be compared with a MB car, but Honda, Toyota, etc. etc. NEVER! I can't even imagine going from a MB to a Honda.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by 02Impressor
It's not so much as not trying other brands, it's just that I will never try other brands 'lower' then Mercedes Benz. BMW, Audi can be compared with a MB car, but Honda, Toyota, etc. etc. NEVER! I can't even imagine going from a MB to a Honda.

Only Brand above MB would be a Bentley! The Continental GT would be the ultimate dream
Old 12-25-2003, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Oh ok, on your first post you made it sound like NO car other than MB regardless of 'class'. I love MB too. It feels prestigious to have one. BUT I would NEVER close myself to other brands. Audi is a great brand I had originally blocked out of getting but now I am happy to own one. Next is a bimmer I hope. No MB models excite me right now other than an E55 AMG or SL500(but its only a 2 seater )and that upcoming coupe 4 door project.

I cant imagine myself in a toyota/honda/hyundai etc anymore either...
Old 12-25-2003, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I feel the same way but not about MB, but rather about power. After driving a car with 500 hp and torque makes the prospect of driving any "regular" car seem unappealing.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:54 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
WORD!!!

next car 211 E55 AMG...drool...hopefully...
Old 12-26-2003, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How long before we can buy a used direct-inject Benz with 7G transmission? That's what I'm hoping to get in about 5 years, an E500 version (unless and E55 jumps out at me ).
Old 12-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Re: Mercedes-Benz psychology works!

The smart ones already know that MB initiated the C class mainly to appeal to the younger crowd. Sure, it's also for people that prefer a less expensive automobile whether for self interest or financial situations but I believe that it's mostly for the 18-25 demographic. Anyway, it's a great psychological technique and it definately worked on me. I got my coupe at 18 years old and my lease expires right before I turn 21. Because I love the coupe handling and performance so much (plus the name recognition) I don't even want to test drive another non-MB car and will most likely end up leasing/buying another MB car in the near future.
I too enjoy my Mercedes, and will probably consider purchase of another one when it's time to trade in. I don't think that Mercedes is really targeting the C class to the age group you mention (18-25). Perhaps the Sport Coupe, but not the entire Class. I do agree though that it is targeted to people that do not want, or cannot afford to spend a lot of money on a car. This was clear from the advertisements of the C class car that was introduced in the early 90s.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I like the car, no doubt about it, but I'm rather disgusted with MB's over reliance on automatic transmissions in models other than the C-Class and SLK. When this car wears out or is destroyed, I'd be interested in another, if its as cool as the current one....but something along the lines of a CLK would be nice....BUT NOT WITH AN AUTOMATIC.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:39 AM

2008 E 350
Originally posted by Outland
I like the car, no doubt about it, but I'm rather disgusted with MB's over reliance on automatic transmissions in models other than the C-Class and SLK. When this car wears out or is destroyed, I'd be interested in another, if its as cool as the current one....but something along the lines of a CLK would be nice....BUT NOT WITH AN AUTOMATIC.
Well this isn't Europe thus the majority of drivers in the US prefer automatic over manual.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Well this isn't Europe thus the majority of drivers in the US prefer automatic over manual.
Yes, and that great majority is the same bunch of pussies that buy and drive Camrys and Accords....
Old 12-28-2003, 12:31 AM
Guest0001

Yes, and that great majority is the same bunch of pussies that buy and drive Camrys and Accords....
Old 12-28-2003, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We almost bought an Accord. In fact, if it weren't for an idiot salesmonkey who barely gave us the time of day and then tried to act like he was doing us a huge favor, we might have. (then we almost bought an Acura but decided to check out the MB dealership first ). Lotsa stuff for the money in those Camrys and Accords. We gave up 50 hp, more room, a killer Nav system, etc, for ... a 230k sedan that cost us thousands more? Don't worry, I'm really glad we got the Benz, but there's no way I'll fault anyone for getting one of those "average" cars.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by jpb5151
We almost bought an Accord. In fact, if it weren't for an idiot salesmonkey who barely gave us the time of day and then tried to act like he was doing us a huge favor, we might have. (then we almost bought an Acura but decided to check out the MB dealership first ). Lotsa stuff for the money in those Camrys and Accords. We gave up 50 hp, more room, a killer Nav system, etc, for ... a 230k sedan that cost us thousands more? Don't worry, I'm really glad we got the Benz, but there's no way I'll fault anyone for getting one of those "average" cars.
I was merely pointing out that MB is not a mainstream manufacturer, so hiding behind 'everyone wants an automatic' is pretty weak logic. Many of us still prefer to row our own gears. Manuals general last longer, and have many advantages over automatics in performance, control of the vehicle, and fuel economy. Not to mention its DRIVING, vs just Steering.

As far as the mainstream boxes go, I used to own an accord. I know that this was supposed to be the 'reliable and sensible' car to buy, but mine was a major POS. Never again.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
IMHO, he biggest negative for those average cars is their front wheel drive. YUCK! Did you look at Lexus? I think they have attained as much clout, cache, or whatever you call it, as the MB brand has.

And as far as MB demographics for the C class - most of the C classes I see are driven by women over 40. Ouch!
Old 12-28-2003, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by Jim Banville
IMHO, he biggest negative for those average cars is their front wheel drive. YUCK! Did you look at Lexus? I think they have attained as much clout, cache, or whatever you call it, as the MB brand has.

And as far as MB demographics for the C class - most of the C classes I see are driven by women over 40. Ouch!
That's the young crowd. The average MB buyer is a white male in his fifties.

As far as demographics go, I think MB just wanted someone younger, as in 18-34. I think they also wanted more of the BMW crowd. Unless mommy and daddy are floating the dough for the new wheels, most 18-25year olds can't stomach the cost of a 25-35K MB.