C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Got a C280 driver's attention!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 09:21 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Thumbs up Got a C280 driver's attention!

This is not a drag story, just an incident on the way to the golf course yesterday morning. I pulled up first in line at a stoplight on a 6-lane divided highway. I was in the middle lane with the typical SUV on either side.

The light turns green, and both SUVs step out aggressively. I'm a little pissed (still don't know why) I look ahead, to see straight road forward for a couple miles, so I floor it. The 3.2L spools-up and I leave the SUVs behind. 80 MPH as fast as I could get there. Little did I know that there was a guy in a Silver C280 sitting behind me at the light.

Well, he noticed me pull away hard (left him behind, too), and all of a sudden he steps in it to catch up with me. I'm thinking he didn't get a close look at me at the light and he now decided he needed to determine what flavor of C I was.

I'm about 1/8 mile ahead and he's bobbing in and out of traffic to catch me. What fun. Finally, I get to my left turn intersection so I pull to the left lane and turn on the left blinker. He struggles to pull over to the middle lane, and SLOWLY passes me as I stop at the left turn light while he has a green ahead. Out the corner of my eye, I could tell he was looking the car over from stern to stem, very intently.

I'm thinking he's gonna call a dealer for a brochure this week.

What fun. The golf round was lousy, BTW.
Old 03-17-2002, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 c240 4matic wagon
Yeah, as usual, with a Mercedes, getting there is most of the fun
Old 03-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Hey MB-BOB.

Greatt Story....what was the posted legal limit anyway?

-Limited Edition
Old 03-17-2002, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
uhm, mb-bob, i think i know how you voted in my poll about how the car has changed driving habits...
Old 03-17-2002, 10:11 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
MB-BOB didn't know you had it in you!
Old 03-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by Limited Edition
Hey MB-BOB. Greatt Story....what was the posted legal limit anyway? -Limited Edition
Um, the legal limit was 55... I'm so BAD... :o

Young, actually, in your poll I voted for "makes me baby my Benz." With the MFD "after start" fuel economy figures staring at me all the time, I find myself in fuel economy mode more often than boy racer mode.

I think my auto-adaptive transmission has learned this, so that when I DO step into it, it seems to ask me, "You want me to do what???"

Anyway, it's nice to know it will really move when I want it to. And I'm almost certain that guy in the C280 will call or drop by one of the MB dealers this week to pick up some "reading material." Ha!
Old 03-18-2002, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Not that you were "drag" racing, but last week, about 1/2 mile from my house, a 16-year old was killed when his Acura Integra was wrapped around a tree as he and another kid were going about 100mph on a stretch of highway around 5:00PM. They came upon a car travelling at the normal 45-50mph and swerved around it. His passenger escaped w/ minor bumps.

Anyway, the article went on to say how drag racing is finding a resurgence...
Old 03-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by MarkL
Not that you were "drag" racing...
Yep, I definitely left my roll model card at that stoplight... But, the road WAS clear two miles ahead and there were no intersections... There's something about hearing those SUVs chirping their tires away from that light that told me to show them what a car weighing half of them can do.

Anyway, haven't cracked the limit since, and you have definitely put this 50-year old in his place. :o
Old 03-18-2002, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Anyway, haven't cracked the limit since, and you have definitely put this 50-year old in his place. :o
Oh, I knew that would happen . I wasn't trying to chastise you. After that accident happened, I thought of starting a new thread just as an FYI to people who might get the racing "itch". I just used your thread as a place to mention what happened near my house. It's no fun if you can't "punch" it now and then . Just today coming back from lunch, I was at a light next to a Boxster... neh ... :p

Oh, btw, I live in Montgomery County, the speed-bump capital. Now that there was this huge accident on a main highway, I'm waiting for our illustrious county executive to be the first to install them on a major thoroughfare! "That'll stop those darn kids..."
Old 03-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
MarkL lays down the law once again.

I think that I saw MB-BOB (in an uncredited roll) dragging Vin Diesel at that desert drag scene in fast & furious.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:47 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by MarkL
Not that you were "drag" racing, but last week, about 1/2 mile from my house, a 16-year old was killed when his Acura Integra was wrapped around a tree as he and another kid were going about 100mph on a stretch of highway around 5:00PM. They came upon a car travelling at the normal 45-50mph and swerved around it. His passenger escaped w/ minor bumps.

Not to justify things, but I guess we're lucky that MB put all these air bags around us!
Old 03-18-2002, 04:48 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by tommy
I think that I saw MB-BOB (in an uncredited roll) dragging Vin Diesel at that desert drag scene in fast & furious.
Yep, that was me. In my Darth Vader Grey "Death Accord" Missed it, did you? Well here's a reprise, showing the view that "Wimpy Vinnie" got to see most...

Can't wait for F&F II... Wait til you see what I've done to my new Hyundai Tiburon...

MarkL, I knew you were kiddin.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 03-18-2002 at 04:50 PM.