C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Is the "new" 1.8 litre Kompressor truly headed to the US or . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the "new" 1.8 litre Kompressor truly headed to the US or . . .

. . . is it going to be just another variation of the Sport Coupe that is sold in Europe. I just bought a new C230 from my local dealership under the condition that there were not going to be any substantial changes to the C230 for the 2003 model year. They fully assured me there is no engine change (or indash CD player for that matter) in the 2003 C230.

I do not suspect they would risk a young customer that they are targeting for the future with false information. I also do not suspect that they would be "stupid" enough to provide inaccurate information which could be easily used in a court of law as being deceptive.

My personal take on the rumors I have read on this board is that the 1.8 litre Kompressor engine is not coming to the US. In much the same way they sell a C200 with a 2.0 litre engine in Europe, I bet the 1.8 will only be available there for at least a year or two. Maybe in 2004 or 2005, they will sell it in the US. Who knows?

Any opinions?

CP
Old 03-18-2002, 02:40 PM

dont count your chickens until they hatch
Old 03-18-2002, 02:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Re: Is the "new" 1.8 litre Kompressor truly headed to the US or . . .

Originally posted by chronopassion
. . . is it going to be just another variation of the Sport Coupe that is sold in Europe. I just bought a new C230 from my local dealership under the condition that there were not going to be any substantial changes to the C230 for the 2003 model year. They fully assured me there is no engine change (or indash CD player for that matter) in the 2003 C230.

I do not suspect they would risk a young customer that they are targeting for the future with false information. I also do not suspect that they would be "stupid" enough to provide inaccurate information which could be easily used in a court of law as being deceptive.

My personal take on the rumors I have read on this board is that the 1.8 litre Kompressor engine is not coming to the US. In much the same way they sell a C200 with a 2.0 litre engine in Europe, I bet the 1.8 will only be available there for at least a year or two. Maybe in 2004 or 2005, they will sell it in the US. Who knows?

Any opinions?

CP
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it has not been publically announced by MB what the changes (US) will be for model year 2003, isn't it possible that the dealers are not even aware? What did the dealer say they would do should there be a change? Did you get something in writing from them?

It's possible, to the best of their knowledge, what they have told you is true.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:47 PM

Benzy230,

So, do you think there will or will not be a 1.8 litre Kompressor in the 2003 C230's of the United States? Cust curious.

CP
Old 03-18-2002, 02:55 PM

Dear rev,

You are correct that the local dealership might not be aware of any changes. However, they seem to be aware of all the other changes going on in the other MB cars.

So, since MB sells a 1.8 litre, a 2.0 litre Kompressor, and a 2.3 litre Kompressor already in Europe (and elsewhere) in the Sport Coupe body, I just wonder how reliable the original posts about a "new" 1.8 litre engine really are concerning the US market.

MB might be introducing it for select markets only. Again, I do not claim to have any firm information except that the dealer has verbally assured me there is no engine change in 2003 for the C230. Maybe they are getting rid of the 2.0 litre Kompressor instead. It seems the original posts about the 1.8 litre Kompressor came out of Europe. I do not think there is any question that MB is developing/producing the engine, however, what is less certain is whether or not it is destined to be here (US) in 2003.

Also, since MB seems to be going through a little bit of PR problems regarding the quality of their C class cars, maybe they would not consider it a great idea to switch to a completely new engine for 2003 while they have been having electrical/other issues. Cover story on USAToday (3/18/02) is about Mercedes difficulty with the C class in the US. Apparently, the are right next to Hyundai and Oldsmobile for quality these days. Ouch.

Best regards,

CP
Old 03-18-2002, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
M271 engine

I'm not sure if the 1.8 is coming here in the fall, but you can bet that once it's up to full production, all other large displacement four cylinder engines M-B now makes will be dropped. It's simple economics at work - the more they make of the 1.8, the lower the unit cost is. The 111 engine is of older conception, hence is expensive to make.

Are you really saying that you would prefer to have the 1.8 engine?
Old 03-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
CP, I agree with what you have said here. However, I'm just putting it out there that the dealers themselves may not know more than you do about 2003. Lots of talk about the 1.8, but it hasn't been confirmed (as far as I know) either way. The dealers are in the business to sell cars. They SHOULD be honest and upfront with you, but we all know that this is not always the case. I hope you won't be dissappointed.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:24 PM

Hi rev and MikeT,

Actually, I prefer the larger 2.3 litre Kompressor engine based on the sketchy information discussed so far. So, that is why I am getting my alabaster white C230 tomorrow. My discussion with the dealer was more generic about any "substantial" changes between 2002 and 2003. Quite frankly, I was more concerned about an indash CD player. If I knew the 1.8 litre Kompressor was coming out in 2003 to the US, I still would have bought the 2002. In fact, I probably would delay any 2003 purchase until 2004 if the 1.8 is truly coming, making sure the problems are first worked out.

Best regards,

CP
Old 03-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Grain of salt time

I had to educate everyone at my dealership about the C7 option when I ordered my car in July. Therefore, I would be careful about assuming a certain level of knowledge from dealerships.

I'm curious: how did this assurance work: did they write up a document, sign it, and get it notarized that said something about the '03 model? Understand: I'm not criticizing you, I'm just wondering what kind of agreement you made with them, and how secure your position is legally.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:13 PM

dealerships really know nothing unless it is on paper in their hands. As for the 1.8...well..."if" and "when" it comes out...would be interesting....the car would turn more rpms, and probably be less money to upgrade on performance. I dont see it happening....honestly I think they should do more testing with the 230 than anything. I mean.....look at the hp figures...they can do better than that!

And why would they make the car for one year, then change the engine. That would only give them a year to test the 1.8.....whats next....electric engines

Dont take a salesman words to heart.....sometimes you have to be the one to educate them on some things....trust me
Old 03-18-2002, 06:48 PM

Hi Tommy,

I guess to be precise, I want the 2.3 litre Kompressor. That is why I am buying the car, among other reasons. My biggest concern actually was the indash CD player. Before I hand them the check tomorrow, I am going to get some written assurance that they will switch out the old radio if an indash CD player becomes standard in 2003. Otherwise, I will walk. My current car runs fine and I can wait for 2003 which I suspect will still have the 2.3.

CP

P.S. My wife is a lawyer at the State Supreme Court, and she seems to think it would be a fairly easy case to win if the local MB dealer is incorrect about an indash NOT appearing in 2003. The remedy would be either a switch out for the new indash, if it exists, or get a CD changer put in. Either one can be accomplished through a small claims procedure. Luckily I have documented emails to the dealership prior to my purchase day tomorrow. I have reconfirmed my concern several times since my initial visit. What do you think will happen when the owner of the local MB dealer gets served with a notice to appear at a small claims proceeding? Do you think he will simply put in a changer or blow a morning arguing a case which cannot be won?