C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HID Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Lightbulb HID Retrofit

I'm interested in retrofitting my 2002 C230 Coupe with '04 Bi-Xenons. If this is done, will the auto-leveling feature still work? I suppose if the motors are built into the housing it would be pretty easy, but I wonder if I would need more parts.
Also, would a dealer be willing to do this? Or, an even better question, should I take it somewhere else anyway? The dealership is fine, but I'd rather not give the service department any more business than absolutely necessary.
If anyone has any practical experience to offer, I know it can be found here. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:18 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
You would need to get the Mercedes bi-xenon headlight assemblies for your car. The assemblies have the auto leveling plugs and motors, but your car, by not having xenon/bixenon from the factory, will not have the auto leveling sensors which provide input to the headlamp assembly. So, no, unless you also provide and install the auto leveling sensors, the auto level function on the HIDs will not work.

Further, after you installed the headlight assembly, you'll need to go to a dealer to set in the computer, Xenon Headlights = PRESENT. Without this final step, the computer will turn off your headlight if you try to turn them on, and cause the HIDs to blink at a slow mostly off pattern. You can temporarily get around this if necessary by turning on the lights for a brief period of time before starting the car.

Most dealers will not do the headlight assembly install for you, but any shop familiar with front bumper removal can swap the lights for you. Many dealers will not set the computer coding for you, so you'll have to find the right dealer.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
installing auto levelling sensors has not been done before but they are mounted on the sway bars of the car. You'll probably have to use it without the sensors. It will work fine anyway but make sure you set Xenon to Present from the dealer or the lights will just flicker.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
I think this has been discussed before and found its not worth it to add the auto-leveling components if it didnt come with the car... to much $$$$$$
Old 01-12-2004, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cars built without bi-xenons have a different wiring harness than those built with bi-xenons. They lack the wires an plugs to hook up the autoleveling motors.

By Department of Transportations regulations, it is illegal for the dealer to install the bi-xenons. The fines can be hefty. It is not illegal for you or an independent shop to install them, however.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:50 PM

So whats the benifit of the Auto Leveling sensors?
Old 01-12-2004, 06:55 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
The xenon lights are pretty bright, and auto-levelling attempts to ensure that the low beams remain pointed on the road and not into oncoming drivers' eyes.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:12 PM

02 C32
So if I have regular xenon's and switch to bi-xenon's, I will be able to keep the auto-leveing feature?
Old 01-12-2004, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by c32-driver
So if I have regular xenon's and switch to bi-xenon's, I will be able to keep the auto-leveing feature?
I believe that is correct. I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to keep the autoleveling.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by sunman
installing auto levelling sensors has not been done before
I did it on my 1990 R129 SL but due to the labour and costs involved I went a different rout when upgrading my W202 to xenons...

Going from factory regular xenon to bi xenon means that the self levelling will continue to function.

greetingz,
Old 01-12-2004, 09:58 PM

02 C32
Originally posted by MBenzNL
I did it on my 1990 R129 SL but due to the labour and costs involved I went a different rout when upgrading my W202 to xenons...

Going from factory regular xenon to bi xenon means that the self levelling will continue to function.

greetingz,
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:29 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Another lighting question

Thanks for the insight, everyone. Based on the input, I think I'll just wait until '05 when I'm planning to get a new M-B and just order xenons then if they aren't standard equipment.
Along the same lines, but much easier... I'm planning to have the illuminated door sills installed. I would imagine this should be fairly standardized, but out of curiosity, would anyone be willing to share how much this ended up costing, including labor? Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:39 PM

The xenon lights are pretty bright, and auto-levelling attempts to ensure that the low beams remain pointed on the road and not into oncoming drivers' eyes.
So if you dont have the leveling system would it be pointless in ordering/installing bixenons? I was considering this upgrade (- the leveling system) but if I'm gonna be blinding everyone and eventually get harrased by the police for exessivly bright lights then im no so sure

Have other people done this upgrade without the leveling system?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
Originally posted by DaBeze
So if you dont have the leveling system would it be pointless in ordering/installing bixenons? I was considering this upgrade (- the leveling system) but if I'm gonna be blinding everyone and eventually get harrased by the police for exessivly bright lights then im no so sure

Have other people done this upgrade without the leveling system?

Thanks,
Matt

lots of people have done this upgrade without the leveling system... just do it!
Old 01-13-2004, 03:25 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
All the leveling system does is to provide an additional adjustment based on how the car is loaded. That is, both the regualr lights and the HID lights have static adjustment screws which aim the lights vertically. The HIDs lights are also supposed to be used with leveling sensors, which measure the amount of static deflection in the suspension to provide a load based secondary vertical adjustment.

What is load based? Well, suppose you add 500 pounds of cargo to the trunk. The front of the car will now be pointing up. When you turn on your HIDs if you have the leveling system, the system will compensate and reaim your lights. If you don't have the leveling system, there is no input and the lights will point as they do in any regular car, which with the excess weight in the trunk, will be a bit higher than normal.

So unless you regularly load up your car with heavy cargo, the static adjustments should do just fine.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:37 PM

cschow,

exellent explanation, thank you.

lots of people have done this upgrade without the leveling system... just do it!
Alright you talked me into it , now to get a hold of Steve
Old 01-13-2004, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by cschow
All the leveling system does is to provide an additional adjustment based on how the car is loaded. That is, both the regualr lights and the HID lights have static adjustment screws which aim the lights vertically. The HIDs lights are also supposed to be used with leveling sensors, which measure the amount of static deflection in the suspension to provide a load based secondary vertical adjustment.

What is load based? Well, suppose you add 500 pounds of cargo to the trunk. The front of the car will now be pointing up. When you turn on your HIDs if you have the leveling system, the system will compensate and reaim your lights. If you don't have the leveling system, there is no input and the lights will point as they do in any regular car, which with the excess weight in the trunk, will be a bit higher than normal.

So unless you regularly load up your car with heavy cargo, the static adjustments should do just fine.
For the amount of money it would cost, I say screw the other drivers lol.