C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Attention KLEEMANN! Help me to understand why...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 10:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Yes, this thread has gotten ugly (and wow, without the input of Wyatt...who would have thought...), but I have to add one comment: For someone like myself who does not know or understand a lot about "mods" like pullys, chips, etc.. I have found the information in this thread quite interesting and educational. Of course, I take the information on these forums with a grain of salt, and realize that some information posted as fact is in fact opinion.

So thanks.....
Old 03-29-2002, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ugly but interesting. All that for just a pulley.

What's interesting is that on the SLK forums (not MBWorld since not many SLK owners use this forum) they never or rarely mention Kleemann. I figure they must have more experience with pullies as the SLK 230 has been out for years. They seem to have their own little world and have settled on Vaeth as their pulley of choice followed by H&S. Funny that nobody mentioned these tuners here, I've never heard of them but then again I never heard of Kleeman either before this forum. I sent an e-mail to Vaeth to find out, they seem to have lots of cool tuning stuff besides pullies like exhausts, rear gears and stuff. I haven't heard back yet but I'll try faxing them this weekend. It is a mostly all German website but Mr Vaeth or whatever his name is speaks english and ships to the U.S.. Use altavista.com's babelfish for translation.

http://www.vaeth.com/
Old 04-02-2002, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLEEMANN ALLOY Pulley- 200 rwhp

As posted under a sperate thread title:
Old 04-02-2002, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The question in a few people's mind right now must be, is it better to pay $300 extra for 8hp in the ring vs. the alloy pulley or use that money towards a chip, exhaust or something else. If I can get up to 192hp with the ring, will the Upsolut chip get me over 200hp?
Old 04-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

??

Good question. One I cant answer for you. Mark Cummings will be testing his Coupe (UpSolute chip) with the KLEEMANN ring at EvoSport (I think it was today?). Perhaps he will post those results and you will have your answer.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:50 PM

KLEEMANN C230K
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
The question in a few people's mind right now must be, is it better to pay $300 extra for 8hp in the ring vs. the alloy pulley or use that money towards a chip, exhaust or something else. If I can get up to 192hp with the ring, will the Upsolut chip get me over 200hp?

What are you talking about?

You don't plan to purchase the damn thing anyway!

John.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:56 PM

500 SEC
Here is what AMG says about the SL55 system;
"The impressive power development in the eight-cylinder engine is largely down to a newly developed belt-driven
supercharger that generates about 30 percent more charge pressure than other comparable belt-driven
supercharging systems. Rotating at over 25,000 rpm, the compressor's aluminium rotors press some
1600 kilograms of air per hour into the combustion chambers. The screw-type compressor is connected to
the crankshaft by means of an electromagnetic clutch and a separate poly-V-belt, thus enabling it to
spontaneously react when the driver presses the accelerator and provide powerful thrust at engine speeds
barely above idling speed."

HOw does this compare to KLEEMAN?
Old 04-02-2002, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Tech stuff

Originally posted by Ski Guru
Here is what AMG says about the SL55 system;
"The impressive power development in the eight-cylinder engine is largely down to a newly developed belt-driven
supercharger that generates about 30 percent more charge pressure than other comparable belt-driven
supercharging systems. Rotating at over 25,000 rpm, the compressor's aluminium rotors press some
1600 kilograms of air per hour into the combustion chambers. The screw-type compressor is connected to
the crankshaft by means of an electromagnetic clutch and a separate poly-V-belt, thus enabling it to
spontaneously react when the driver presses the accelerator and provide powerful thrust at engine speeds
barely above idling speed."

HOw does this compare to KLEEMAN?
30% more charge pressure? What I think they mean is a screw type has a 30% mass airflow advantage compared to a Roots at the same pressure.

Kilograms per hour is simply a mass measurement of airflow- what you need to know to make ANY sense of this is at what engine speed? One would imagine its at max engine speed so you can quote big numbers. Hows this: the AMG engine makes 469hp @ 1600 kg/hr the KLEEMANN system makes 530hp @ 1120 kg/hr!! Whats more impressive?

Electromagnetic clutch?? be cause there is no bypass!! In "clutch off" mode the engine has to spin the dead weight of the rotors to ingest the air required to run- this is nothing to brag about in my book. The clutch is just one more control system and part to wear out and fail. The super secret reason MBZ does this is to abate SC noise at idle- when there is no road noise tomask the SC noise. There is no "performance" reason to do this. Nice spin eh?

The SC MBZ uses is an IHI (Japan) unit that uses Lysholm rotor profiles- screw kompressors are largely identical in efficiencies, adiabatic and otherwise. 25,000 RPM is VERY misleading. Screw kompressors have a male and female rotor, one turning at 1.5 times the speed of the other (typically). They must be talking about the "fast" rotor. If they are talking about the drive ratio to the crank Im scared for all the about to be AMG owners. Most screw kompressors are rated at 16,000 RPM max sustained RPM. KLEEMANN systems spin 13,000 RPMs at max engine speed- slow speed = long life.

They dont even mention their intercooler- cant say I blame them as it has one of the worst efficiencies Ive ever seen. Charge temp is where its at- 8 psi at 280F will make less power than 6 psi at 150F. Big boost numbers and huge quantifications of mass flow are BS with out the power to back it up. KLEEMANN makes 60 MORE HP at 2.5 psi LESS pressure.

Last edited by Brandon @ Kleemann; 04-02-2002 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:56 PM

c320
Originally posted by dj-po

John.
LOL
Old 04-02-2002, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John.
You're just mad because you have the old style and now someone with the new pulley will be faster than you! LOL

I haven't decided what to do yet. Just because there was some heated debate with Kleemann doesn't mean I don't trust Evosport, at least they have a dyno.

Are you going to put the old pulley kit on E-Bay?
Old 04-03-2002, 12:13 AM

KLEEMANN C230K
First, I am not mad, just tired of your abrasive comments toward a product you are too cheap to try. Let's look at this, you drive a $30k car, if you got all the option packages. MB hasn't offered a car for that price for eight years, and that was a C220 (another BIC disposacar) Even my "slow" car was $37k new. $30k is not cheap, but, for some reason I believe you write these posts from your WEBtv while eating your TOP RAMEN and trying to figure out how you will afford your rent, 'cause $900 is a drop in the bucket when compared to the price of your car.

The new pulley kit is for the new budget MB, not the solid w202. I plan on keeping my kit, you will know it's me by my taillights, trust me it is not slow.

Now, I know it is hard for you to understand, but KLEEMANN is not a performance "shop" like evosport, but an engineer/importer/wholesaler/dealer. I understand farming out the dyno's to another shop, as the machine's are not cheap.

John. aka "Sleaux Death"
Old 04-03-2002, 12:41 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
First, I am not mad, just tired of your abrasive comments toward a product you are too cheap to try. Let's look at this, you drive a $30k car, if you got all the option packages. MB hasn't offered a car for that price for eight years, and that was a C220 (another BIC disposacar) Even my "slow" car was $37k new. $30k is not cheap, but, for some reason I believe you write these posts from your WEBtv while eating your TOP RAMEN and trying to figure out how you will afford your rent, 'cause $900 is a drop in the bucket when compared to the price of your car.

The new pulley kit is for the new budget MB, not the solid w202. I plan on keeping my kit, you will know it's me by my taillights, trust me it is not slow.

Now, I know it is hard for you to understand, but KLEEMANN is not a performance "shop" like evosport, but an engineer/importer/wholesaler/dealer. I understand farming out the dyno's to another shop, as the machine's are not cheap.

John. aka "Sleaux Death"
those are some low blows.... top ramen is a good product, i dont know what your talking about! j/k

i see both your points, but no reason to start making statements about a person just cause they disagree with you on a mod, or seem (to you) to be cheap.

as a note, a fully loaded c230 comes much closer to 40k then 30k.... add the cd player, nav, phone, really every option, and you land about 37-38k, tack on a special order charge for some colors and you are almost in a base clk, with no options.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:18 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I think it's funny and great at the same time that you guys can have at it discussing your personal preferences. It's even funnier that when i voice my opinion I get accused of ruining the thread. Irony oh what an Irony.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:18 AM

KLEEMANN C230K
I knew i would catch hell for this post, but sometimes I just get tired of the BS.

I don't mean disrespect to the 203 c230k owners, just putting things in perspective. You prove my point even more by pointing out the car is more expensive. My car was used when I bought it, you're a step ahead of me buying new. I paid $27,500 for my car. But even if I paid $37,500, I wouldn't look at $900 as a large investment, just look at the price of new tires all the way around.

You (the collective including me) drive a Mercedes-Benz, some of you (still the collective) even act like the typical Benz owner, i.e. snobby. Even/especially the "snobby" MB owners don't think $900 is a lot of money, this is proven by the precedent set by other MB tuners (Renntech, Brabus, Carlsson, Lorinser, etc.) for a high price tag. You should have known when you came to the plate that you were no longer playing in the AAA league.

I will even give you more ammo for your flaming, by stating:

I am a 28 year old high-school drop-out (dropped out at age 16), make a meager $65k a year, I'm overweight, and I only own one house.

John.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
suggestion

I'm overweight
That's easily fixed - I lost 20 lbs last year by riding my old racing bicycle to work (17 miles each way) about 38 times. Try cycling - it works
Old 04-03-2002, 01:28 AM

Now dj-po you didn't have to give all that info. I'll stand by you nonetheless. Anyone come close to saying something nasty about dj-po and i'll fung you, I will fung you hard, your entrails will become your extrails, I mean pain like you've never felt before! I feel you brother!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:30 AM

Re: suggestion

Originally posted by Mike T.

That's easily fixed - I lost 20 lbs last year by riding my old racing bicycle to work (17 miles each way) about 38 times. Try cycling - it works
You only went to work 19 times last year, lol .
Old 04-03-2002, 02:07 AM

KLEEMANN C230K
Re: suggestion

Originally posted by Mike T.

Actually, I will be cycling again soon. But not to work, I work in Seattle (about 65 miles from home)

John

p.s. Only going to work 19, or was it 38, times last year..........tsk, tsk, tsk
Old 04-03-2002, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Heh heh

That's 38 round trips on a bike, lads.

The other 197 days I drove to work in a contraption known as a horseless carriage.

Although working only 19 days a year would be nice, come to think of it
Old 04-03-2002, 02:29 AM

KLEEMANN C230K
You got one o' them thar horsemly-less carriam'ges?

hehe
Old 04-03-2002, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey, my C230 was 25k, just like the ad says. I can't afford a 30K car when I might have to pay that soon for my kids college per year. So to me it's the same price range as getting a supercharged pontiac grand prix. But at least I can get a pulley for its eaton supercharger for $79 and have a choice of sizes. While it's a bargain to put a $899 pulley on your expensive car, it's too expensive for my el cheapo bargain benz. Doesn't mean I won't do it, doesn't mean I won't try to find a cheaper way, just checkin out the options just like everyone else. There's lots of things I want for the car and the pulley is just part of it. The stuff adds up to big $$$ for a 25k car (cd changer, wheels, xenon lights, exhaust, chip, pulley, dashboard hula girl).

I drive a Benz because it was a good car for cheap, they give me free car washes and good MB loaners and the dealer is 1 mile from the house. I don't drive a Benz because it's snobby.

Hey, so I'm cheap and poor. What can I say! And what's wrong with WebTV? Actually we use a 3Com Audrey wired up to the cable modem. Coach girls softball, not yet in the AAA leagues. Sorry dude, don't eat Top Ramen, on a low carb diet right now.

I'm going to Vegas right now. If I'm lucky, I'll get the pulley. If I'm not I might have to sell the car. Back on Friday to continue the banter. BTW, I have to rent a car to go to Vegas because MB was too cheap to put a third seatbelt in the back seat of the coupe. Ya buy cheap, you get cheap!
Old 04-03-2002, 11:21 AM
Almost a Member!

C230/ B. Silver/Leather
I can't believe it. I was finally able to raed all of the responses and come to the end before another page was filled. I have to take a speed reading course.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Almost a Member!

C230/ B. Silver/Leather
I also have to learn how to type and spell correctly!
Old 04-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
MB was too cheap to put a third seatbelt in the back seat of the coupe. Ya buy cheap, you get cheap!
There are anchors at the seat hinge for strapping down a kid seat. MBZ is one of the most safety oriented car companies around. Maybe a different kid seat?
Old 04-03-2002, 12:08 PM

KLEEMANN C230K
I wonder if I'm the only one laughing right now.

I found it funny.

John.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Attention KLEEMANN! Help me to understand why...