C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

can i trust the dealer to aim my headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB C230 coupe
can i trust the dealer to aim my headlights?

i tried aiming them myselves but i just can't get it perfect no matter what i do. i have no real point of reference so i was just using a tape measure to measure the height of the beam. i got it VERY close but i'd still rather the dealership do it if they have the means of getting it PERFECT. i'll have them do it at my service B if you guys think they can do it to perfection.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Guest0001

Are you talking about leveling your xenons to make it aim higher? Dont you have autoleveling feature?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
What aiming procedure are you using?

I think that MBenzNL posted something on here regarding the adjustment capability of US Xenon lighting vs EURO. Might want to do a as I'm way too lazy.
Therefore depending on your issue it may or may not be possible.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by Noble C320
Are you talking about leveling your xenons to make it aim higher? Dont you have autoleveling feature?
yes, the xenons autolevel. but only with respect to the load in the car, and they move together. they do not level independently, my body shop thought they did too. therefore, if one is lower than the other one, it will always be lower even after the autolevel. so basically to level them, you must park on a flat surface, turn the car on, let the lights autolevel, then adjust the heights where they should be using the set screws on the lights, which is what i was doing. after this is done correctly, the autolevel will always put them back to this height you set. if you set them all cooky manually, the autolevel will always return them to the cooky setting you chose with the manual set screw.

my situation is that i got in an accident last year and had to have my right headlight replaced. when it was installed, it was noticeably lower then the left. i thought i fixed it but driving down the road, i could see it was still low about 8 months later. so i need to get it to the same height as the left one which is still at the factory setting.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
With the Xenons it should be easy. Park on a level surface and about 20 feet from a wall. Using the flat line of the original headlight as your guide. First get the height right. Then set the centering of it by trying to overlap the two lights a little for the center of the wall. You should see this when done. ____/__/. At least that is what mine look like when pointing at a wall. Flat line all the way accross with two upward fill sections, the left one should be about in line with the passenger seat headrest or so. The right most one should be just off to the side of the car when about 20 feet away from the wall. From the factory the Bi-Xenons are actually aimed a hair low anyhow so you could most likely raise them a hair if you want. Then test drive at night to see what you got. It took me several attempts with my 190E since I replaced both headlights with Euro's and did them at the same time and I had nothing to go by except a second car aimed at the wall as well, but that does not make them perfect so I had to drive it to see where my lights fell upon a car in front of me as well as on the road.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
d-i-y aiming instructions
Old 02-25-2004, 11:25 PM

M
We can aim horizontally?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
When u ask the dealer to aim the lights, they usually think u say this cuz they are too high. Not matter what I told my dealer when i put the xenons on the ML they always aimed them super low to the point of where you couldn't see.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The link in my previous post must be deleted because it links to a commerical site which is not a sponsor of this forum.