C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 C280 W203 Trouble with O2 sensors need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C Class C280
Question 2006 C280 W203 Trouble with O2 sensors need help

Hello all

I have trouble code issues and no one in my area can tell me what the problem is not even the dealer.

Original Problem:

O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Open Circuit P2237
O2 sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 Open Circuit P2240
HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1 P0031
HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 2 Sensor 1 P0051
Throttle Valve Actuator Jamming or Iced Up P0638

I had both O2 sensors replaced with parts that I bought OEM Bosch Upstream Left and Right O2 Sensors

I had two Throttle Valve Actuators Changed by a mechanic shop I don't know part numbers for those or kind

I also had all the coils and plugs changed with Bosch products

After those things were changed I took it home and it has been running rough I brought it to another shop with them saying that they specialize in European cars and electrical problems and they are a transmission shop as well Turns out I needed a transmission so I had it replaced while they were doing a diagnostic for why it was still acting up.

I got the car back and after the transmission was replaced it is now running like a brand new car no problems However I am still getting the above codes even after the computer was reset and all the DTC codes were erased the come right back and its the same ones!

Took it to the dealer and they said that the computer is fine and they want to replace the same parts I had just put in by another shop but they want to charge me 5900.00 !!!

A little help please is it my computer? but the car is running like a champ no problems. I can't find anyone here who knows how to work on these cars in Orlando FL

banging head against wall is not helping me.

thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2017, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Did the dealer update the ecu software?
Do that first.. if that doesn't help then renew your ecu!
Old 08-11-2017, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Russell Ormerod
Did the dealer update the ecu software?
Do that first.. if that doesn't help then renew your ecu!
Thanks for posting!

No the dealer did nothing except possibly test to see if the computer was good, which is what I asked of them but they did not charge me for that service because I was there for other stuff so who knows they have been wrong before and want me to spend 5900.00 with them for the repairs
Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
There is no way a dealer can test if the ecu is faulty other fitting a new one. Tell them u want the flashware version checked and updated if need be. I have had these faults before esp throttle body icing and it ended up being the ecu. In my case a flash update never helped.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 AM

There is no way a dealer can test if the ecu is faulty other fitting a new one. Tell them u want the flashware version checked and updated if need be. I have had these faults before esp throttle body icing and it ended up being the ecu. In my case a flash update never helped.
where did you get the ecm?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
We repaired it
Old 08-12-2017, 05:42 AM

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know where I can get the ECM replaced? Obviously Other Than The Dealer... They quoted me 2800.00
Old 08-12-2017, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Only the dealer sell new ecus, or you need a used one that has been made virgin.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:30 AM

Only the dealer sell new ecus, or you need a used one that has been made virgin.
I know of a place in Georgia that needs you to send yours to them to copy your key and vin to the new one so its plug n play when they send it back to you for $800.00

so its not dealer only and the dealer wants $2800.00

I just want to make sure its my ecm or not my ecm I dont want to throw money at a ecm for it not to be that

I dont need to know that the dealer has my parts I already know that

I need to know what fixes people have done with the same or similar problems or what to look for
Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
I said NEW is dealer only sure you can get it cloned from a used one.
The thing is testing costs money and if you have done all the testing needed the only true way to confirm its the ecu is to fit a test unit! Unless you know a company near you that can test the ecu but even that is no sure way of knowing its good or bad. If it fails on a bench test well then it's your lucky day. But it can also pass all the bench tests and still fail on the car. That is why I have test units. It's a fast and easy way to condem or rule out the ecu. A dealer will never do that, they will just charge for a new one and once it's fitted its assigned to your car and not returnable. It's a difficult one for you. I can only tell you I have had the same faults 're throttle body icing and o2 sensor issues and it was the ecu.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 PM

I said NEW is dealer only sure you can get it cloned from a used one.
The thing is testing costs money and if you have done all the testing needed the only true way to confirm its the ecu is to fit a test unit! Unless you know a company near you that can test the ecu but even that is no sure way of knowing its good or bad. If it fails on a bench test well then it's your lucky day. But it can also pass all the bench tests and still fail on the car. That is why I have test units. It's a fast and easy way to condem or rule out the ecu. A dealer will never do that, they will just charge for a new one and once it's fitted its assigned to your car and not returnable. It's a difficult one for you. I can only tell you I have had the same faults 're throttle body icing and o2 sensor issues and it was the ecu.
Just sent the computer to PRESSERtech in Smyrna GA he said it would be 995.00 for a refurb plug and play

everyone I called said it was the computer so I am going to throw parts at it now I hope I don't have a short in the harness that when I get it back it will short the ecu out. crossing fingers

he said if I sent it today for him to get it by 10:30am tomorrow he will send it back the same day and invoice me when its ready to be shipped back overnight. I should have it by Friday I will let you know then how it went!

Last edited by jimmysixe; 08-15-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: adding things
Old 08-15-2017, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Good luck! I am pretty sure it will sort your problems out