Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W203)
M272 Misdiagnosed Balance Shaft? >

M272 Misdiagnosed Balance Shaft?

Notices
C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Old 05-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 c230 sport

Apologies in advance. I've been reading posts on MBWORLD for years, and you all have been immensely helpful. I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I have yet to find a thread that was similar to my experience. Splint3048 discussed something somewhat similar, but it doesn't seem like the thread was fully concluded.

I have a 2006 c230 sport with an M272 engine. About 134000 miles now. For a couple years, my CEL would come on pretty randomly, specifically when cold out (30 F), and then would disappear. In December of 2018, an MB dealer told me that I had codes P0015 and P0022, and they recommended replacing the cam magnets. I was skeptical since I had replaced all 4 the year before (2017). I decided to get a second opinion. 20 days (January 2019), I went to another dealer. At this point, the CEL was on permanently. They told me I had codes 1200 and 1208, so they told me it was likely the balance shaft or a stretched timing chain. This was my original fear, but it was odd because the VMI that I had said that it had a complete Engine Assembly, Cylinder Head Gasket, Rocker Arm, Chain Tightener, 2 pulse wheels, an intake valve, and an intake manifold replacement in November of 2012 (years after MB acknowledged the defective balance shaft in the original m272 engines. So, the engine assembly SHOULD have had a new balance shaft. I did recently however find a sticker on the intake manifold that says "August 2005" on it, but the old engine serial number was engraved on the replacement engine since they apparently don't get a new serial number?). Also, the p0015 and p0022 codes were not found like the previous dealer had said.

Codes were reconfirmed by MB a week later. They wanted 2,000 dollars to tear the engine down and get a better idea (refused a borescope test).

MBUSA denied to help with the repairs since the engine replacement was done more than 50,000 miles ago.

There have been no symptoms. No timing chain sounds on cold start, no misfires, no stumbling (although occasionally when it's cold I'll get a light hesitation when I press on the accelerator). Also, I've been noticing that it cranks for an extra second than usual when I start it up in the morning, but I think this may be a battery issue.

3 weeks later, another opinion by another MB dealer. They removed the cam sensors and rotated engine to 305 degrees. They said, "Right exhaust cam is retarded. All other cams correct. Recommend replacement of right exhaust cam adjuster (not the magnet, the full adjuster). All other cams are correct at base timing." The service tech told me that this was "absolutely not a balance shaft or timing chain issue," and that the adjuster likely froze up, and that I may get "a little bit of noise or a slight loss of power, but no catastrophic engine damage." They brought me into the garage to take a look. The base timing mark on the right exhaust cam was just slightly (barely) higher than center.

I bought an Icarsoft 1980 to check the values of the cam positions and adaptation data. While driving, I have codes 1200 and 1208. Adaptation data says that there is approximately 4 degrees of adaptation for cams (If I'm not mistaken, I think the computer can compensate up to 20 degrees).

I'm wondering. Is it possible to have these codes due to a faulty cam adjuster? Is it true that a faulty cam adjuster may just cause some noise or a slight loss of power? Was the dealer just sick of me and tried to just get rid of me by telling me it isn't a balance shaft or timing chain issue so I'd stop harassing them?

Any thoughts, ideas, or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone is really knowledgable on cam degree readings from a scanner and adaptation data, I can take pictures of them and post them so you can let me know what you think.

Thank you all!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:53 AM

2006 c230 sport
Bump

I'm also uploading the vmi with the parts replaced.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:18 AM

2006 c230 sport
Bump!

Bump