C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Please help? need help with bixenon height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 c320
Unhappy Please help? need help with bixenon height

Just installed h&r cup kit and 19 inch wheels. After installation, the lights seemed to point to the ground more. I have the factory bixenon and I am trying to adjust the level of the lights to be higher as they were when they were at stock height. I have it adjusted too high on the driver side and good enough on the passenger side. I adjusted the knob on the lights but can't get the driver's side back down. Anyone have any ideas? Is it something to do with the autoleveling?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
take it to the dealer to have it calibrated. they should do it for free if its under warranty. just tell them they arent level anymore and you dont know why.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
citron, how do you know if the bi-xenon is level? I installed them myself and i think they are a bit low pointing to the ground. When i drive, I am scared because I cannot see that much in front of me....can I adjust these somehow? Either by adjusting them with the screws or is there the projector adjustment?
Old 07-20-2004, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by dac086
Just installed h&r cup kit and 19 inch wheels. After installation, the lights seemed to point to the ground more. I have the factory bixenon and I am trying to adjust the level of the lights to be higher as they were when they were at stock height. I have it adjusted too high on the driver side and good enough on the passenger side. I adjusted the knob on the lights but can't get the driver's side back down. Anyone have any ideas? Is it something to do with the autoleveling?
You may have turned the adjustment too far, which causes the adjustment lever/nut to come off the adjustment screw. If this is the case, turning the up/down screw will appear to have no adjustment on the beam pattern height.

If this has happened, what you need to do is pull the reflector into place and alignment while turning the screw, to get the adjustment nut back onto the screw.

If you're not mechanically inclined, I do not recommend doing this yourself as you may mess up all kinds of things, or end up getting shocked, or who knows.

-s-
Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
citron, how do you know if the bi-xenon is level? I installed them myself and i think they are a bit low pointing to the ground. When i drive, I am scared because I cannot see that much in front of me....can I adjust these somehow? Either by adjusting them with the screws or is there the projector adjustment?

If you instsalled them yourself, then you do not have the auto levelling feature. I think there is a way to manually level them. Do a search.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Easy to adjust...just take a phillips screwdriver and turn right to go higher, left to go lower on the black, plastic screw located on the top of the housing. My passenger side was way too high after install, all I did was take a phillips screwdriver and turn to lower the beam.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

are the BIX factory or retrofitted. if they are factory take it to the dealer for calibration, then the auto leveling feature will work ok. i installed my AMG sways and had to have then re adjusted and after my accident where they had to replace a headlight it required the new headlight to be cliabrated as well.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:42 PM

2003 c320
yeah it looks like i may have adjusted them too far. but how hard is it to pull the reflector into place and getting it back onto the screw to adjust the height level again. do you have to open the back of the light where the xenon bulb goes? I have the factory bixenons on the car and thats what may have happened
Old 07-20-2004, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i was told by the dealer they do the calibration. not sure with a computer or manually but they do it and its up to spec. i suggest you make an appt. and take it in. it will be done right and if your cars under warranty they should do it for free. just tell them the lights are level. are you taking it to MBSD?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:51 PM

2003 c320
i took my car to mb of escondido, where i bought my car and the level of the headlights are the same. it says on the service order that the headlights were brought back to spec. i don't know whats the deal with that? do they know what they are doing.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:04 PM

2003 c320
i tried messing with the lights to see where the adjuster seems to adjust the height for the bixenons. I opened up the back for the bixenon and notices that the angle plate just moves freely up and down. I dont know if it is possible to fix it without any knowledge of how the adjustment works with the plate. i could feel that when i turn the knob i can feel it turning but doesn't seem to do anything. i brought it to the dealer in mb of sd and they said some machine is set up to adjust to factory specs. i dont know if when i get my car back, that it will be fixed. would i have to remove the bumper and try to take the headlights off to see what has really happened to get a better view of the headlight itself?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Originally Posted by dac086
i brought it to the dealer in mb of sd and they said some machine is set up to adjust to factory specs. i dont know if when i get my car back, that it will be fixed. would i have to remove the bumper and try to take the headlights off to see what has really happened to get a better view of the headlight itself?
It's simple enough... stop messing with it and let them fix it right this time around. When you pick up the car, arrange to have it tested somehow so you can show them if it's still out of whack...

Since you seem to be having problems with them, the worst-case is that you completely b0rk them, or shock yourself, or both -- and you're not gonna be any better off than you are now. That's not even worth it if the dealer is able to get them fixed. If it's daylight out, take the car back at dusk... or early in the morning, or take it to their warehouse, or something. If they say they brought it back to spec and it's still not right, then they're either lying or there's a bigger problem at hand -- one that you're probably only going to compound by opening them, taking them off, mounting them again, etc.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the dealer can calibrate them. ive had mine done 2x. first because the auto leveling wasnt working right after i installed my AMG sway bars, the second was after my accident they had to install a new driverside headlight and the headlight required calibration.

let the dealer fix it. i totally agree with viguera on this one!