C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Free air sub?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG 2002
Free air sub? and UNDER WATER SUB (Wiedermann)

I stff..... would it be possible to hook up a free air sub in place of the bose stock one, running off the stock amp? ... i have all this this base just sitting around, but im not sure if i wanna put it in my c32....

Last edited by SFoRZA; 08-19-2004 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Wiedermann took this way off topic....
Old 08-18-2004, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking Sub anyone?

What about "my" sub?

Wiedermann
Old 08-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You might want to use the search terms BOSE and impedance. Then compare it to aftermarket ones and you'll be closer to your answer.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:04 PM

C32 AMG 2002
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wiedermann
What about "my" sub?

Wiedermann

holy crap! that thing is sick!.... i want to know more about that sub vs. the one in my car... give me the info!
:
Old 08-18-2004, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking Wiedermann's free sub...

Originally Posted by SFoRZA

holy crap! that thing is sick!.... i want to know more about that sub vs. the one in my car... give me the info!
Mr. SFoRZA:

LOL

Well... it has some cool features... but it needs a suitable swimmigpool to use it's "capabilities"

-It can dive!!
-It can float!!...
eh-hem...LOL

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 08-18-2004, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c230 kompressor
What about "my" sub?

Wiedermann
nice sub LOL
Old 08-18-2004, 11:28 PM

05 CLK 320
Nice sub, Type 941 Akula Typhoon. What other things does it do other than dive, can it fire small rockets from the 20 silos. What is the scale of this model. Does it have a towable sonar ? just kidding. I would love to get my hands on it. I can use it with my model trains, like to transport some of the missles to the sub.

Have fun.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking Free sub-ing.... :D

Originally Posted by HITMAN
nice sub LOL
Mr. HITMAN

Thanks for the comments... (though I still feel terrible.. this is a MB forum!!! ...LOL

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 08-18-2004, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Exclamation More sub-ing...lol

Originally Posted by cracker123
Nice sub, Type 941 Akula Typhoon. What other things does it do other than dive, can it fire small rockets from the 20 silos. What is the scale of this model. Does it have a towable sonar ? just kidding. I would love to get my hands on it. I can use it with my model trains, like to transport some of the missles to the sub.

Have fun.
Mr. cracker123:

...this particular R/C sub

was built ALL from the ground up... starting up with the hull, it was all hand made, no pre-cut kits were purchased... just plain all good mahematics to scale down it from the original.. fiberglassing, ballast tanks, everything was hand built... (of course, things like the CCD camara was purchased of ebay and so forth... but the entire model is a true one of a kind )

Scale: 1/81 from the original beast .. the overall length for thie model is 83.60"

The scale model sub has a complete and independant ballast system. This allows the model to work exactly as a normal submarine does.

In R/C submarine modeling there are 2 major methods used: 1.- static and 2.- dynamic. "Dynamic" refers as diving using the propolsion (propellers) while the R/C model submarine is moving forward and the diving plates down to force to submerge. The down side to this is the model submarine will surface back up if the propellers stop. Also, that is NOT how real submarines work . The static system is the true system as used by submarines which use what is called "ballast" system (tanks) that in order to remain on the surface are full of air and filled with water to allow the sub to dive... regading ballasts in the R/C modeling world, there are different "flavors" as to how to approach it... using CO2 is one for force water or air in and out of the ballast tanks (this will limit the ammount of dives you have, as you will be using a CO2 tank... when you run out of the gas, your sub will reamin submerged!!... --that is not soo good --), using actual ballast tanks with a piston that compresses the air/water and and out of the tank (that will give you endless dives without worry... --now you have to worry about batery life to operate your sub!!!... omg!! and the list goes.. blah, blah... --)

The Submarine project took about 6 to 8 months of solid research, then about 6 months of construction .

Sorry for the offtopic... the title with the word "Sub" it to blame for this!!!!

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 08-18-2004 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Comment correction
Old 08-18-2004, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230 kompressor
Mr. cracker123:

...this particular R/C sub

was built ALL from the ground up... starting up with the hull, it was all hand made, no pre-cut kits were purchased... just plain all good mahematics to scale down it from the original.. fiberglassing, ballast tanks, everything was hand built... (of course, things like the CCD camara was purchased of ebay and so forth... but the entire model is a true one of a kind )

Scale: 1/81 from the original beast .. the overall length for thie model is 83.60"

The scale model sub has a complete and independant ballast system. This allows the model to work exactly as a normal submarine does.

In R/C submarine modeling there are 2 major methods used: 1.- static and 2.- dynamic. "Dynamic" refers as diving using the propolsion (propellers) while the R/C model submarine is moving forward and the diving plates down to force to submerge. The down side to this is the model submarine will surface back up if the propellers stop. Also, that is NOT how real submarines work . The static system is the true system as used by submarines which use what is called "ballast" system (tanks) that in order to remain on the surface are full of air and filled with water to allow the sub to dive... regading ballasts in the R/C modeling world, there are different "flavors" as to how to approach it... using CO2 is one for force water or air in and out of the ballast tanks (this will limit the ammount of dives you have, as you will be using a CO2 tank... when you run out of the gas, your sub will reamin submerged!!... --that is not soo good --), using actual ballast tanks with a piston that compresses the air/water and and out of the tank (that will give you endless dives without worry... --now you have to worry about batery life to operate your sub!!!... omg!! and the list goes.. blah, blah... --)

The Submarine project took about 6 to 8 months of solid research, then about 6 months of construction .

Sorry for the offtopic... the title with the word "Sub" it to blame for this!!!!

Wiedermann
that is amazing
Old 08-19-2004, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking Extra info

Originally Posted by HITMAN
that is amazing
Mr. HITMAN:
Thanks for the comments. It is a nice true toy... though for a toy is a "bit" expensive.

Regarding the torpedoes and missiles and to answer Mr. cracker123 that I left opened, the sub was designed to include both, up to 4 torpedoes and for the time being 2 missile hatches are active (the other hatches are just "dummy" ones as they don't open). I am in the science field, so thankfully my math, chemistry etc skills are somewhat on check, and I have some good colleagues that helped me with the diagrams for the design of some of the parts... the unfortunate part was on a post 9/11 environment, at some point my project "had" to be "put on hold" (not by my choice, I was "asked" to "stop" further development ).

Overall, the missiles and torpedoes, at least the schematics are based on GPS and a targeting system that was designed by me and conjunction with other colleagues... however, again, we had to stop the development of the actual components ... the sub does work and with its fully static diving system (true ballast like the real subs), it is pretty impressive to see it work.

In So. Cal (and in most states as well) there are clubs for this type of hobby, some clubs are for display and some clubs actually battle... well... I had intended to use my sub in battle... ("battle" built ships are made of balsa wood very easy to break and their guns shoot "bb" gun bullets per say.. normally just at point blank range into the other battling vessels... R/C model submarines normally only attack by surfacing and ramming its opponents and their only defense for the subs is to submerge... and for the ships against ships to be out of the firing range of the other vessels... not to count that since the targeting method is rather pre-historic.. .just point blank.. .a lot of the shots miss the targets... not a 21st century battle field in my opinion... whelp???.. I wanted my sub to be able to remain submerged and be able to launch its weapons, thus be able to sink ships like crazy without being susceptible to be hit by anything!!!. I have to add to this that the MOST problematic on this battles on Subs is that, all the kids are normally running along the shore of the lake pointing exactly where the sub is!!!... and that is normally how the other ships are able to keep track... my idea was to solve that problem by going deeper and use my targeting system.

Has I completed the project with all its weapons, to operate the sub in battle it would have been required to have a minimum of 6 people:
1.- Captain that operates the R/C sub
2.- Xo (Executive Officer) to coordinate the following officers below
3.- Weapons officer with his own R/C remote control to operate the torpedoes
4.- Missiles officer with his own R/C remote control to operate them
5.- Targeting officer with a mobile GPS unit to detect and program the weapons towards the desire targets (with a mobile GPS unit help to triangulate the position emitted by the other ships, the sub and his emitter)
6.- Tactical officer to mainly serve as a decoy

I have run tests on this system, however it has never built for the Sub (the system tested is a larger scale that will not fit into the sub that was built

The sub does work and as is, it can be operate by only one person

That is my take on a "free Sub"

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 08-19-2004, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230 kompressor
Mr. HITMAN:
Thanks for the comments. It is a nice true toy... though for a toy is a "bit" expensive.

Regarding the torpedoes and missiles and to answer Mr. cracker123 that I left opened, the sub was designed to include both, up to 4 torpedoes and for the time being 2 missile hatches are active (the other hatches are just "dummy" ones as they don't open). I am in the science field, so thankfully my math, chemistry etc skills are somewhat on check, and I have some good colleagues that helped me with the diagrams for the design of some of the parts... the unfortunate part was on a post 9/11 environment, at some point my project "had" to be "put on hold" (not by my choice, I was "asked" to "stop" further development ).

Overall, the missiles and torpedoes, at least the schematics are based on GPS and a targeting system that was designed by me and conjunction with other colleagues... however, again, we had to stop the development of the actual components ... the sub does work and with its fully static diving system (true ballast like the real subs), it is pretty impressive to see it work.

In So. Cal (and in most states as well) there are clubs for this type of hobby, some clubs are for display and some clubs actually battle... well... I had intended to use my sub in battle... ("battle" built ships are made of balsa wood very easy to break and their guns shoot "bb" gun bullets per say.. normally just at point blank range into the other battling vessels... R/C model submarines normally only attack by surfacing and ramming its opponents and their only defense for the subs is to submerge... and for the ships against ships to be out of the firing range of the other vessels... not to count that since the targeting method is rather pre-historic.. .just point blank.. .a lot of the shots miss the targets... not a 21st century battle field in my opinion... whelp???.. I wanted my sub to be able to remain submerged and be able to launch its weapons, thus be able to sink ships like crazy without being susceptible to be hit by anything!!!. I have to add to this that the MOST problematic on this battles on Subs is that, all the kids are normally running along the shore of the lake pointing exactly where the sub is!!!... and that is normally how the other ships are able to keep track... my idea was to solve that problem by going deeper and use my targeting system.

Has I completed the project with all its weapons, to operate the sub in battle it would have been required to have a minimum of 6 people:
5.- Targeting officer with a mobile GPS unit to detect and program the weapons towards the desire targets (with a mobile GPS unit help to triangulate the position emitted by the other ships, the sub and his emitter)

I have run tests on this system, however it has never built for the Sub (the system tested is a larger scale that will not fit into the sub that was built

Cheers!

Wiedermann
thats really cool and it would be very cool to watch in action nice job
Old 08-19-2004, 12:56 AM

C32 AMG 2002
give us video.... and could someone answer my question on "free air sub" .... geez...... must admit that was the most interesting readin i have done on this board in a week... got a tank?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Mr. HITMAN:

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Wow, that's amazing... Where in So. Cal do you guys "battle" those things? I'd like to see them in action...
Old 08-19-2004, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
50x25 feet of pool.... Lets fight

What about "my" sub?

Wiedermann
Attached Thumbnails Free air sub?-pool.jpg  
Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb Sub-bing!!

Originally Posted by SFoRZA
give us video.... and could someone answer my question on "free air sub" .... geez...... must admit that was the most interesting readin i have done on this board in a week... got a tank?
Mr. SFoRZA:

About your free sub, like Mr. amdeutsch indicated:

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
You might want to use the search terms BOSE and impedance. Then compare it to aftermarket ones and you'll be closer to your answer.
That will for sure get you closer to get you sub installed!

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Wow, that's amazing... Where in So. Cal do you guys "battle" those things? I'd like to see them in action...
Originally Posted by Anaheim_Drew

Mr. nlpamg, Mr. Anaheim_Drew:

There is a club in SoCal that is out there in the San Bernardino area and they do battle to the death!... lol; until ships are sunk, though they re-float them, replace the balsa wood plates and re-launch for more battle . Since my sub has not beed completed to my desire, though I could battle with the current "guidelines" to just surface and ram on collision course the other ships, I rather passed and just played with the toy...... swimming pools and lakes are good (the sub can not be used in salt water as it interferes with the radio transmission).

I will shoot some video sometime and post it for you guys to see .

I glad some of you enjoyed reading about the R/C sub, although I still feel terrible that the title of this thread threw me thinking on the one thing that came to mind... "my sub" (not precisely what Mr. SFoRZA had in mind when he posted the thread I bet!... )

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 08-19-2004, 03:21 AM

c240
if you can fit that sub in there than you can hook it up but i dont think that the stock amp will be strong enough to make your sub sound decent. what i;m plannig to do is take out the stock sub completely, and put my box in the trunk with the port directly under where the stock sub used to be. Then i;m gonna quiet car the whole trunk to kill rattling and smooth out the bass.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Another free sub

just had to throw this in for good measure....
Attached Thumbnails Free air sub?-sub.jpg  
Old 08-19-2004, 09:19 AM

05 CLK 320
GPS for missles are you kidding, well dont know the range of those missles but technically at the range i am assuming the system cannot make out the differece. You could have probably built a small grid system and use xy coordinates to fire.

Also do you have retractable masts. Do you compensate for the load once you unload the missles or fire them.

I think you should arm that sub with the new AI missles forgot the NATO name, that will prioritize their targets.

If you ever need help carrying missles or torpedo's to you sub let me know my trains can help. I will movie them with the new SD90 MAC engines. I can also move them with the series 500 bullet train if you need it faster.

Keep us updated on the hobby.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:18 AM

C32 AMG 2002
hahaha.... man this is a great thread...... ummm since theres no ploblem changing topics at random here.... do you need to run a powered sub to the battery or can you just hook it up to the fuse box?... i have no expiernce with hooking anything up to the fuse box so im just wondering... might save me the time and effort of running a wire from the batt to the trunk..... oh yeah lets not forget everyones fav sub...
MR BELDING!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Mr. HITMAN:

the unfortunate part was on a post 9/11 environment, at some point my project "had" to be "put on hold" (not by my choice, I was "asked" to "stop" further development ).
I will be nosey and ask why? It's a Russian submarine, not a radio controlled airplane..

On another note, if you require any assistance, do not hesitate to ask; I served on a U.S. submarine for 4 years.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:40 PM

2004 CLK 500 Coupe; 2001 Ford F-450 4x4 7.3D 6sp 4dr
On the topic of R/C subs

Here is a forum full of R/C sub stuff
RCGroups.com Sub Forum
Old 08-19-2004, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking The free sub!

Mr. Mr. Xristo:

Originally Posted by Mr. Xristo
the unfortunate part was on a post 9/11 environment, at some point my project "had" to be "put on hold" (not by my choice, I was "asked" to "stop" further development ).
I will be nosey and ask why? It's a Russian submarine, not a radio controlled airplane..

On another note, if you require any assistance, do not hesitate to ask; I served on a U.S. submarine for 4 years.
Thanks for the offer!!!... I have a good friend of mine who is retired now who also was in the same line of work as you did..., having an extra expert is always welcomed!

I have already created a monster by posting my sub pics... lol... thankfully, I have not angered too many people yet (or have I????...lol)...

I was "asked" to stop developing a miniature version of a targeting system using GPS due to the fact that some agencies got a "little concerned" all my research I had... at the time, my good friend also had a project going on building an exact replica of the LA Fire Boat (with working hoses and everything to "aid" in battle) and he also was "asked" to close down the web site he had and remove the scale plans for the boat itself .

I don't build planes anymore, too expensive (I crash them too quickly... ) to "operate" --which means my flights are short lived...-- I am stuck for years on Subs and normal land vehicles... (no tanks yet.. they (tanks) are also a bit expensive to build)

I WILL be probably talking to you off line with regard some of my projects on my R/C toys

Mr. EricTheRed:

Originally Posted by EricTheRed
Here is a forum full of R/C sub stuff
RCGroups.com Sub Forum
There is always a forum for everything...lol...

Mr. cracker123:

Originally Posted by cracker123
GPS for missiles are you kidding, well dont know the range of those missiles but technically at the range i am assuming the system cannot make out the difference. You could have probably built a small grid system and use xy coordinates to fire.

Also do you have retractable masts. Do you compensate for the load once you unload the missles or fire them.

I think you should arm that sub with the new AI missles forgot the NATO name, that will prioritize their targets.

If you ever need help carrying missles or torpedo's to you sub let me know my trains can help. I will movie them with the new SD90 MAC engines. I can also move them with the series 500 bullet train if you need it faster.

Keep us updated on the hobby.
The problem with "the small grid system and use xy coordinates to fire", (i've seen similar ones in action), is that the water movement, wind, buoyancy/rocking at the time of firing are enough to many times cause the sub to miss... the "xy grid" is a good method is the launching platform for the missile/torpedo is more or less "fixed".

The missile and torpedoes do not explode on contact, they just make a hole on the target ship ... there is not enough miniaturization to have a propulsion system on the weapons... so they all rely on inertia that is where the GPS comes handy (all the targeting has to happen before the weapon is launched )

The sub does have a tower mechanism that can be raised and lowered... its just for looks... its doesn't do anything beyond that... lol.. below is a pic of the conning system before the hull was painted:

Another shot of the finished model:

Some other shots from other toys:

Torpedo

Driving a sub underwater?

Underwater shots

Other model subs (R/C) (other enthusiasts)

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 08-19-2004, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
damn, very nice Mario. great shots of the sub in the water as well.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
MAJOR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Free air sub?