C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Supercharging VS Turbocharging Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes S430, 1993 Lexus SC400, 2003 Lexus ES300
Supercharging VS Turbocharging Pros and Cons?

I was wondering what people thought would be the the best option for adding power between these two forms of forced induction.

Supercharging or turbocharging your MERC.

I'm new to this forum, so I was interested to know who has done either, which one is more reliable, advanced, cost efficient, the MOST POWERFUL?

IF there are some experts in this forum, I'd really appreciate your input.

Sorry, if I'm repeating somthing you guys may have already talked about, but it would be nice to revisit it again,

Thanks.

Nighttrain.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:35 AM

1999 Mercedes S430, 1993 Lexus SC400, 2003 Lexus ES300
How much HP you doing?

How much power are your cars producting?

Anyone putting out BIG BIG horsepower?
Old 05-09-2002, 03:04 AM

W212 E63
I test drove my friends 02 WRX and 01 Volvo V40, both with some bolt-on mods. The WRX is a high pressure turbocharge while the V40 is a low pressure turbocharge engine. From my experience, the feeling driving in the V40 is very similar to our superchaged Coupe. The torque is available at low rpm and the powerband is very wide. The WRX is completely different, anything below 3k rpm, the car is lack of power, but after 3k rpm, you will feel big powers push your back until the 6500rpm redline, after you shift, the push is on again. If you like excitement, high boost turbocharge is your choice. Plus you can get hugh gain in horsepower; however, you need to strong up your internal components of your engine. If you don't like turbo lag and want a nice and wide powerband, light boost turbo and supercharge are your choices.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:36 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the pros and cons are pretty much the same for turbo and s/c

in the long term both will shorten the life of the engine dramaticaly.

turbo usually has leg and s/c don't. s/c are bolt on to the engine body and the turbos are not.

for the power it depends on the boost pressure of the s/c and turbo. turbo, i believe it can produce and sustain more pressure than the s/c. Since s/c are usually mechanical belt driven it will have more power available in all rpm. i.e. my C32 has the belt driven s/c with clutch, the s/c will engage as low as 1500 rpm when you punch the gas. for the turbo cars the turbo fans have to spin at/after certain rpm to produce the power.

IMO go with the turbo mod since it can be easier to be done which means usually less money involve.

if you are looking to have more technology in your car go with the s/c since s/c are said to be technicaly more advance. i have s/c in my car although it's factory mod

Last edited by FrankW; 05-09-2002 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
SUPERCHARGERS:

PRO'S
1 always there. there is never a turbo lag.
2 increases HP very well
3 makes the car sounds cool
4 you will usually get a much wider powerband
CON's
1 take away HP to make HP
2 increases wear on engine
3 more to break

TURBO'S

PRO'S
1 easy to mod. You can increase the HP of a stock turbo using a computer chip.
2 you can get an on-the-fly boost controller to really decrease engine wear when you dont need all that power.
3 cheaper to mod.
CON'S
1 LAG. although it depends on the size of the turbo, there will more than likely be some sort of turbo lag.
2 decrease engine life.

IMO I would rather have a turbo too. They are so easy to modify. Look at the Audi S4. You get a $500 chip from APR and it goes from 250 hp to 306 and like 275Torque to 366Torque. all electronically. Yeah there will be some turbo lag, but the increase in HP will make up for it. My friend has a 3000GT VR4 with an "on-the-fly" boost controller. he can run anywhere from 4-22psi, just by turning a knob on the controller that is located under his dash. When he is cruising on the interstate he turns it way down, and when racing way up. It really will help the engine life alot.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320
Timmy you forgot:
TURBO
PROs: Blow off valve....pSsSSSSHHHHH!

I would take the turbo for that fact that i can control the boost. Also, i have more experience with turbo (which you probably dont care, cuz that reason wont help you.....unless you have questions. ) NEWAYS.. ...But then agian...i wouldnt mine TWIN CHARGING. No lag, lots of top end, lots of bottom end. The question is, can you make it all fit in there.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Do both. LOL. If you want real power you can supercharge and turbocharge. Like the Meguairs Type R. hehe.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:51 PM

Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
pretty much its the same maintenance wise...but power wise i will go turbo,,espesiacially if you have a boost controller...if you want low end power and turbe get NOS...to get the low end power...