C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Subwoofer distortion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes C230 W203
Question Subwoofer distortion

Hello, I have a 2007 C230 W203 and recently my subwoofer started making some weird noises. At first it would happen every so often but now it's anytime the radio is on, no matter how high or low the music volume is. I attached a video where you can hear the noises it is making. It seems to be coming from the subwoofer behind the read seats and I don't know if it needs replacing or what is wrong. If anyone here could help me diagnose this issue it would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7059.MOV (16.91 MB, 26 views)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:03 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
This thread contains photos of the Harmon Kardon components.

I'm assuming you have the upgraded Harmon Kardon system in your car. As shown in the thread I linked, the subwoofer is an odd-looking piece of equipment. I installed this used equipment in my car and used an aftermarket amplifier to power it. It started rattling a few months after I installed it and I eventually replaced it with an aftermarket subwoofer.

The problem you may face if you decide to install an aftermarket subwoofer is that the OEM amplifier may not have sufficient power. This thread has information that shows how to install an aftermarket amplifer.

You may be able to find a used OEM subwoofer online, but anything you find is likely to be 16 or more years old. The position of the subwoofer exposes it to heat during the summer. I see that you are in Ontario, and your car probably has not been exposed to the same amount of heat that mine has endured, but nothing lasts forever.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes C230 W203
Thank you for your reply KevinH2000,

Yes you are correct I have the upgraded Harmon Kardon system. If you had the same problem that I do, was your subwoofer damaged and needed to be replaced? My first thought was that it was a connection issue as the rattling would be intermittent and seemed to happen more often going over bumps. I was hoping that I would be able just to check the connection but haven't gotten around to that yet. After looking at the pictures you showed it looks to be a connector not a soldered connection which could prove my theory.

Also I have been doing some research and I have found that in order to gain access to the subwoofer at all, I need to remove the entire rear deck. Seeing as you have done this before is that the only way to gain access?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2023, 10:08 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
Originally Posted by itsmeanthony
Also I have been doing some research and I have found that in order to gain access to the subwoofer at all, I need to remove the entire rear deck. Seeing as you have done this before is that the only way to gain access?

Thanks!
If you are trying to access the connector you may be able to (1)remove the speaker cover from the top of the parcel shelf or (2) reach up from inside the trunk. My car was not equipped from the factory with the rear deck speakers and I had to install them. This did require removal of the rear deck and the rear seat. If you have folding rear seats the job is much easier.