C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Can you "refund" an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 WZ
Can you "refund" an extended warranty?

I just got my 2005 c230 SS last week. Somehow I got suckered into getting an extended 5-year Wheel and Tire, and 5-year Windshield warranty for $798 from the finance manager (must have been because she was hot and I wasn't paying attention to her speaking ). I changed my mind the day I picked up the car but the finance manager said it was too late. My buddy at another dealership says that was a total lie and I shoulda been able to remove that warranty , but it may be too late since I had the car for 5 days now? But since the car is still new, is there any way that I can "refund" this warranty I just bought? I know some manufacturers allow refunds on extended warranty's. Just wondering, thanks!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:40 PM

not too likely

What you describe is not an extended warranty sold and backed by MB. These do have pro-rata refund clauses for surrender during the warranty period.

The warranty you have sounds like a third-party add-on that is not sold by MB, it's sold by the dealer at some big mark-up I'm sure. I am sorry but it sounds like you may not have a way out of that one.

JR
Old 11-09-2004, 07:22 PM

'05 C230K SS
1. Yeah, that was dumb.
2. No, you can't get out of it.
3. Don't ever buy anything they try to sell you after you've bought the car.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz
I lived and learned that experience with my Mercury and Fords. With that non-Mercedes thing, you can only go to that dealership. Fun Fun Fun. If you didn't give them the money, then you can back out. There is a time period with-in each state and it also varies. One needs to read the fine print before he or she signs anything.

I needed to replace my windshield because of a stupid stone from an on-coming car hitting into my car and from my windshield washer blade slipping while I was replacing the blades. So it could be good or bad, just how you look at it.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:02 PM

2005 C230 WZ
Well I don't mind keeping the Wheel and Tire package b/c it covers me for 5yrs "anything goes" full repair/replacement damage. My buddies who also have their c230's already blown their tires a couple of times off potholes, so I figured since I like my stock rims, I'll be keeping these for a long time (so I can always wait every couple of years and have 4 slashed tires )

As for the windshield damage, my insurance already covers it up to $150 I think, so the $399 woulda been a waste for me. Well I called them today but they gave me their manager's # to call in the morning to see what they can do. I'm really trying to get a refund on these two warranty's so I can go ahead and get a factory exteneded 100k mile warranty instead.

Anyone knows what's the best deal you can "hustle" on the 100k warranty (1/2/3 year)?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:17 AM

do a forum search for 'Lisa'

There is a dealer in CA that sells the MB extended warranty at great discounts. I can't remember the details but Lisa is the name of the person you will want to contact for the right price.

JR
Old 11-10-2004, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
What you bought was basically an insurance policy. This should by all rights pick up where MB's warranty leaves off......specifically, tires and glass. Glass can be covered by your auto-insurance policy, but thats not always the case.

I'd venture to say there's no refund available, but you can always try going (calmly) to the dealership's general manager and explain that you were so excited about driving your new Mercedes, you signed without realizing that you were already covered for these "extras".

or....
Take solace in the thought that you put some extra money in the pocket of a really hot (albeit, not so savory) woman that probably feels she showed enough cleavage to justify the expense (in her mind).

Worst case....smoke a few tires and bust your winshield to get your money's worth.....
Old 11-10-2004, 10:07 AM

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Originally Posted by MBc230
Anyone knows what's the best deal you can "hustle" on the 100k warranty (1/2/3 year)?
Here's a link to the response I gave another forum member regarding your question. Extended Warranty

... and by the way you don't "hustle" people or businesses. You negotiate, convince and reach mutually acceptable compromises. At least that's what life has taught me.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:19 AM

2005 C230 WZ
Cool Thanks for the info jlm003. Well I have a meeting with their Finance Manager this afternoon so hopefully we can work something out. I was hoping to take the $798 and apply it towards the MB warranty instead so hopefully we can mutually come to some type of agreement.

Do you think they would "match" the warranty price that Lisa offered you? Or I shouldn't bother and just call up Lisa instead (although I live in Texas, but since you said we can buy the MB warranty anywhere)?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:36 AM

Cool Thanks for the info jlm003. Well I have a meeting with their Finance Manager this afternoon so hopefully we can work something out. I was hoping to take the $748 and apply it towards the MB warranty instead so hopefully we can mutually come to some type of agreement.

Do you think they would "match" the warranty price that Lisa offered you? Or I shouldn't bother and just call up Lisa instead (although I live in Texas, but since you said we can buy the MB warranty anywhere)?
Here's the deal guy... They have $748.00 of your money so unless they are willing to give it back to you or at least a big chunk of it, then you're basically stuck with what you can negotiate with them.

I suggest that you: (1) NEGOTIATE, Negotiate, negotiate (2) Don't walk in with an attitude, talk about rights, make demands. Remember they have your $748.00. (3) Any business agreement has to be mutually beneficial, so your idea to swap what you purchased for the extended warranty makes business sense. (4) If they opt for it, listen to the offer/price they make for the Extended Warranty. (5) Denpending on the price they quote, bring to their attention what Courtesy Motors is charging. (6) See step (1).

Best of luck...
Old 11-10-2004, 11:40 AM

2005 C230 WZ
One more thing, one of the salesman just said that I don't have to get the warranty til 2months prior to your 4yr/50k runs out? Is this true?

I know Honda and Toyota offers this (they sent me letter notification to renew) when your warranty is about to run out. I wonder if MB will do the same. Even if they do offer this, I'm guessing they wouldn't discount it as much as they would if you buy it in the beginning.

All kinds of different stories from different MB salespeople trying to make a sale? I'm gonna get to the bottom of this when I speak to the warranty manager at the dealership today and see what's up?

Last edited by MBc230; 11-10-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:47 AM

C240 2002
I just got my 2005 c230 SS last week. Somehow I got suckered into getting an extended 5-year Wheel and Tire, and 5-year Windshield warranty for $798 from the finance manager (must have been because she was hot and I wasn't paying attention to her speaking ). I changed my mind the day I picked up the car but the finance manager said it was too late. My buddy at another dealership says that was a total lie and I shoulda been able to remove that warranty , but it may be too late since I had the car for 5 days now? But since the car is still new, is there any way that I can "refund" this warranty I just bought? I know some manufacturers allow refunds on extended warranty's. Just wondering, thanks!
In Massachusetts, a buyer has three days from signing the purchase and sale agreement to back out of the overall deal. I wonder if that is based on federal law? Also in Massachusetts, our windshields are covered under our auto insurance and it costs nothing to have one replaced. Is it the attorney general in Texas who handles consumer protection? If so, give that office a call. Selling you something isn't really deceptive, but refusing to refund your money before you take possession is! Fight it!!!!! You tried to cancel is on the day you picked up the car, not five days later.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:05 PM

One more thing, one of the salesman just said that I don't have to get the warranty til 2months prior to your 4yr/50k runs out? Is this true?

I know Honda and Toyota offers this (they sent me letter notification to renew) when your warranty is about to run out. I wonder if MB will do the same. Even if they do offer this, I'm guessing they wouldn't discount it as much as they would if you buy it in the beginning.

All kinds of different stories from different MB salespeople trying to make a sale? I'm gonna get to the bottom of this when I speak to the warranty manager at the dealership today and see what's up?
FALSE!

Please re-read my "Extended Warranty" thead. You must buy the Extended Warranty within the 1st. year of ownership. You will not receive a notice indicating Extended Warranty purchase expiration period .

Try to get your money back or negotiate it towards the purchase of the EW. Don't believe everything that the Dealer tells you. Don't get pressured in to making any on-the-spot decisions that you are not confortable with. If things don't feel right then they're probably not. Walk away and say you'll get back to them. Go home, research what they said and go back with a counter offer.

Luck...
Old 11-10-2004, 12:23 PM

2005 C230 WZ
Thanks, but I actually just got this confirmed...you get up to 6 months now for 2005 models, their policy changed since they removed the maintenance-free warranty after the 2004 models. I'm holding the brochure in my hand right now which says 1yr (to confirm jlm003) but the Warranty dept says that it was 1yr for the 2004 and older models only (since brochure was printed in '02), now 2005-up models only get 6months.

As for the 3-day federal law deal, I've searched many sites about that and it is different depending on the state you are in.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble or anything, I actually was very satisfied with the sale at Mercedes and definitely would buy all my future cars from there, but it was the finance department that I feel I was talked into buying something I didn't need. Hopefully my call this afternoon, we can mutually work something out!