C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
excellent! That screen helps a lot.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
Originally Posted by rubensans
About the purge valve this may be interestig for someone.

Please note that acording to the document cars produced after 07/2001 should have the enhanced braket.

Best Regards.
This helped out a lot, from this I knew the part number and how to solve the problem!!! The total cost (parts plus labor) is $21.60 at Star Motor Cars here in Houston. Money very well spent! The cabin is so quiet now, it is amazing what a little clamp can do!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
I've had a rear shock replaced because of a noise somewhere between a squeak and a hiss going over bumps, more like the squeak actually. SA's first thought was a rear bushing, but one shock had a much louder compression/rebound noise than the other. The difference was obvious enough just bouncing one side of the car at a time. Problem gone with a new shock.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:46 PM

2010 ML 350
It seems that you have described just about anything that makes a tick, tick sound on this car, but let me share with you that the tick-tick sound that I got on my 02 C240 is on the sunroof, whenever it's open and the car is running there is a tick-tick-tick.
Do you know why that could be?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:12 PM

2003 C230
Has anyone figured out the plastic creaking from the rear of the car?

Rear right passenger side. Creaks when the stopping and going so it's something moving forwards and backwards. Dealer dismantled the whole rear seat. I did too and I placed cloths all over the place, between the top and bottom part of the seat trying to isolate the source.

CZ
Old 03-11-2006, 02:07 AM

08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades
Originally Posted by Belle the Benz
Can you guys here the engine when you car is in gear and you are stopped? Mine makes kind of a ticking/thumping noise at idle......is this normal?

That is NORMAL. I had the same feeling, until I tried out 3 (C320 C240 C240) out and it's some what of a thumping noice almost like you are hearing the piston clicking.... it's part of the Benz engine.

Hope this answer.

By the way this is a really helpful DIY. I had plenty of noise complain Luckly mine is still under warranty so dlr fix it after 3 or 4 visits. <--My feeling toward MB Dlr / Service advisors / (stupid) Tec.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:47 PM

What is happening to MB quality? My 98 was one of the most solid cars I have ever owned and did not have 1 squeek or rattle.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:38 PM

2003 C230
Cheaper plastics i think.

I took out the back seat and it's well insulated. I took out the bottom portion of the rear door and it's well insulated also, I really have no idea where the squeaks are coming from. It may be something inside the top portion of the rear door or inside the seat cushion.

CZ
Old 03-19-2006, 05:02 PM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
I have some kind of loud noise coming from the panoramic sunroof (I guess) or maybe the rear seat, I can only hear it when driving over bumps, I'm not sure what it is... Any ideas?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:13 AM

Metro Card : (
do you guys have any noises from your moonroof when you go over or down uneven payment??
Old 04-18-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by jsloan01
do you guys have any noises from your moonroof when you go over or down uneven payment??
I'm not sure if my case is the same as yours, but over bumps and sometimes even when closing the driver's door, there's this thump sound coming from the moonroof. I took it to the dealer but they couldn't figure it out. Came back home fustrated as usual! So I end up figuring out the problem myself through trial and error. I found out that the noise was coming from the area here marked by the red arrows.

So I took out the center light assembly and stuff that whole area tightly with cotton from an old pillow. The noise is gone and haven't return yet.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:35 AM

Metro Card : (
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
I'm not sure if my case is the same as yours, but over bumps and sometimes even when closing the driver's door, there's this thump sound coming from the moonroof. I took it to the dealer but they couldn't figure it out. Came back home fustrated as usual! So I end up figuring out the problem myself through trial and error. I found out that the noise was coming from the area here marked by the red arrows.

So I took out the center light assembly and stuff that whole area tightly with cotton from an old pillow. The noise is gone and haven't return yet.
interesting. it sounds like a creaky rocking chair when going over uneven payment - usual only happens right after i've closed the moonroof (which happens daily when i pull into my garage)
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320
Ive got an interesting problem. When the car starts up, it makes a popping noise like the CD player is jamed coming from just to the left of the CD player in the center console. It makes this popping noise about 7 or 8 times them stops. I didnt use to do this and only happened recently after letting some people sit in my car.

This is really embarrising when someone gets in and start admiring the car until it starts making this sound. Anyone who has experience the same problem or knows how to fix it please give me some information. AND ive taken the CD player out and still makes the noise so i dont think it is related to it.

Thank you
Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by chase720
Ive got an interesting problem....
just a thought... have you tried turning climatronic off and see if it still makes the noise?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:29 AM

C240 2004
Originally Posted by C240-Merc
This helped out a lot, from this I knew the part number and how to solve the problem!!! The total cost (parts plus labor) is $21.60 at Star Motor Cars here in Houston. Money very well spent! The cabin is so quiet now, it is amazing what a little clamp can do!
Can you take a picture of the mounting clip ? I could not find the equal part number for my Euro model
Old 05-14-2006, 11:12 AM

I bought myself and my wife a Mercedes c350 Luxery 4-matic and I could always tell there was something a little diffrent between the two cars. Nothing majorly diffrent. It just seemed that each car had its own personality.

Yesterday, I washed the cars and started hers up to move it back into the garage when I heard the engine ticking. I would say it has been about a couple of weeks since I drove her car so this noise is recent.

Both cars are brand new. Mine had 5 miles on it after delivery. Hers had 50 miles on it after delivery. All the original miles are from us.

Both cars currently have 6500 miles on them after 6 months of use.

Her car makes a ticking noise that is only audible while in the car. It sounds like it is coming from the dashboard when you try to focus on the noise. You can hear it when you open the hood, but you really have to concentrate.(only detectable when you get your ear right up to it). The tick is there whether the car is warm or cold. The tick is also audible when you step on the gas. It only goes away at higher RPM because the tick happens at a rate that you cannot distinguish it.

The engine also seems to whine when accelerating hard, does not have as much power (seems to be held back by something) and it also shifts at higher RPM's vs. my car. It almost feels like the computer draws out each gear a little longer than it should.

I just had it in about two months ago for a low oil light. They ran the usual tests to weigh the oil and topped it off. So far, the light never came back on and a check of the dipstick shows the oil to be ok.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Acery

p.s.

The purge valve is making a noise also, but the valve does not increase in frequency when my wife increased the RPM's. (A check on my car showed the valve to be silent.)
Old 05-15-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
this is a GREAT! thread

anyone have any tips about why the rear sun shade on a 2001 C320 would stop working?
Old 06-17-2006, 05:42 PM

2002 c230k
Loud knock in front suspension

Well it just cost me $1200 for new front upper and lower control arms and sway connector links! The up side it the knock went away - the down side is I've only got 28k on the car. Does not look good for the future...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:09 AM

02 W163
1 question..
not tooooo sure if u mentioned it in ur post already...

but this is pretty annoying, every time i turn the ignition to on/battery on ..
my center consoles seems to be making these noise that goes on for like a while 5-10 min and maybe some times driving ...

The sound is this : 1 im pretty sure it sound like the air vents is automatically switching by itself.
2 i close some air vents and turn the air control to max .. its still changes by it self. but while it changes. it makes different sounds while the air come out ...

put it this way.. close all ur air vents, but leave the middle top one that looks like the speaking and leave it on... then turn the air control to max, after that open and close and open for like couple times the top air vent(speaker looking one) and thats how it sounds like ...

i ask benz but those mothha fukaasss .. want to charge me 1000 to fix it .
Old 09-08-2006, 01:54 PM

2007 R350
It sounds like the "flappers" from your vents are trying to synchronice and can't (have the same problem on my car but it is limited only to the first 30 seconds or so after start). Going repair estimates are between $600 and $1000 as I am hearing. Something about a broken linkage somewhere.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by susemu
It sounds like the "flappers" from your vents are trying to synchronice and can't (have the same problem on my car but it is limited only to the first 30 seconds or so after start). Going repair estimates are between $600 and $1000 as I am hearing. Something about a broken linkage somewhere.
Yeah, from what I understand they have to break into the whole AC system manually and test and test and test until they find either the linkage or the motor that is broken, then replace it and put everything back together. They could get lucky and the first one they test is the dead one, or it might be the last one on the list to be tested. Price of fixing this darn problem could get VERY expensive.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Almost a Member!

06 C230
Hard to find center console rattle...from screw in battery compartment

I want to share this information in case someone else has the same problem.
I took me a VERY long time to find the cause of this rattle. I gave up several times before finally finding the cause:

The rattle sounded to come from behind center console/dash when you seat in driver's seat or from behind glove box when seating in passenger seat. It sounded like something very loose, making noise even at low speed, but not loud enough to locate it easily. You had to turn off radio and put fan below 3 to hear it...but very annoying once you notice it.

The problem was an loose screw: The battery rests on a sort of tray, and this tray is screwed to the frame between the battery compartment and behind the glove box. One of the screw was totally loose. I could turn it with my fingers. I re-tightened the screw and the rattle is gone!
Not sure if they didn't torque it right at the factory, or if vibrations + weight of battery caused it...
I hope that can help if you have unsolved rattles.

Last edited by bnzct; 10-17-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:58 PM

Front Passenger area rattle

Since delivery of my 2002 C320, I have had a subtle rattle only vaguely located to the front passenger area. It was not present all the time nor was it associated with any speed or road condition. After my most recent B service this rattle became most pronounced. I returned to the dealer to question (AKA, WTF). The rattle was so noticeable now that it was very loud both inside and outside the car. It turned out to be the catalytic coverter, which according to the dealer, is a known problem in the C Class (but mostly the ML).

Very quiet now AND it was covered under warranty. . .
Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 AM

02' C240 Luxury Model
I have a chattering/squeaking coming from the ash tray door. When I touch it, it stops, or when I have the tray door open it stops. But I prefer to have it closed so the things in there don't fly out and it just plain looks better. I'm thinking it might be the "stops" that stop the door from closing any further (if there are any?) or something. It's very irritating.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53
anything on hearing a knocking sound coming from the rear backseat section? it happens when the car is idle, no radio, no fan on. just idle and every few seconds i would hear a knocking sound coming from the rear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX